LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

sbc lt1 oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sbc lt1 oil pump

will a standard sbc hi volume oil pump work in an lt1 ? the lt1 has a 7 inch pan and a 3/4 pickup tube vs 5/8. if I use the 5/8 pickup tube will it work?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You need a pickup tube with the right diameter for the oil pump. Also, HV oil pumps are unnecessary on 95% of builds. A standard volume/high pressure pump is all you need. I'd recommend the Melling Select 10554 (standard) OR the Melling Select 10552 (high volume/pressure, if you need it).
Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

if it comes with the pickup tube and driveshaft in a kit does it work in the lt1? what would be the dissadvantge to going hi volume?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzchunk
what would be the dissadvantge to going hi volume?
You suck the pan dry
Old 09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzchunk
if it comes with the pickup tube and driveshaft in a kit does it work in the lt1? what would be the dissadvantge to going hi volume?
There is a chance that during hard braking, maneuvering, and at WOT that the pan can run dry when used in conjunction with a stock capacity oil pan. Additionally, it takes more power to spin a high volume pump (due to the larger gears). This puts additional strain on the already fragile composite oil pump stub shaft.

Only use one if your builder recommends it.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My tuner told me the same thing when we were talking about my build. He said at WOT for an extended period of time would suck the pan dry. Keep in mind you will realistically need 70lbs of oil pressure at most and the 40 or so just cruising/20 or so idling is perfectly ok.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
This puts additional strain on the already fragile composite oil pump stub shaft.
Shaft collar, the shaft itself is steel.

The HV pump uses around 1/2 more HP than a stock one, if the pressure springs are the same, if you have a higher pressure spring in your stock volume pump , it actually uses more hp than the HV pump with a standard spring.

As said do not use an HV pump with a stock capacity pan for engine life reasons.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you could also use a extra capacity vortec truck oilpan...

only time i use a hi volume hi pressure pump is when i can use atleast a 1qt extra capacity pan..
my bigblock truck runs 50psi at hot idle and hits 80psi from 4k rpm and up, i run a milodon 8qt pan.. i also use 2qt filters in the truck.. its built for street use and tolerances are in the mean..
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
There is a chance that during hard braking, maneuvering, and at WOT that the pan can run dry when used in conjunction with a stock capacity oil pan. Additionally, it takes more power to spin a high volume pump (due to the larger gears). This puts additional strain on the already fragile composite oil pump stub shaft.

Only use one if your builder recommends it.
absolutly i have sucked my pan dry before I have a hi volume std pressure melling.......a long third gear pull then baking off would result in a pressure drop from 60 to 20......of course im running 20/50 and revving alot but still 6 quarts my pan was sucked dry.....at 7qts its fine no matter what.....for what its worth

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
My tuner told me the same thing when we were talking about my build. He said at WOT for an extended period of time would suck the pan dry. Keep in mind you will realistically need 70lbs of oil pressure at most and the 40 or so just cruising/20 or so idling is perfectly ok.

like i said above i did it.....i made a pull through 3rd gear on the street and then went into OD and when i backed off it was sucking air........also 70lbs i plently of oil pressure.....im running 60lbs at 8000rpm with no issues at all.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by WS Sick

The HV pump uses around 1/2 more HP than a stock one, if the pressure springs are the same, if you have a higher pressure spring in your stock volume pump , it actually uses more hp than the HV pump with a standard spring.

As said do not use an HV pump with a stock capacity pan for engine life reasons.
Just curious as to the source of the HP statements. The gears in an HV pump are much larger, so I would say that is where the additional drag is created. I mean, it's not going to pump more volume without larger gears.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shbox
Just curious as to the source of the HP statements. The gears in an HV pump are much larger, so I would say that is where the additional drag is created. I mean, it's not going to pump more volume without larger gears.
The gears are 1/2 inch longer, the resistance of the oil on the output side of the pump is where the resistance comes, alot of that is blown back out by the releif valve.

If it took alot of power to turn a HV pump in 30 wt oil my cordless hand drill would have a hard time priming the motor. (and its rated at 1.5 hp)

http://www.mellingselectperformance....lume-pumps.pdf

Last edited by WS Sick; 09-23-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have always built gen1 sbc with hi-volume, high pressure pumps, with stock pans, but the stock pans are 1qt larger than the lt1 pans.. never had a problem with them...

i think the big problem with the lt1's are the composite drive gear and housing.. i think it deflects or twists, causes premature gear wear then it strips or breaks..

i thought the hi-volume/high pressure pump gears were 1.25 thick.. and standard volume was 1 inch..
Old 09-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

thanks I went with the stocker melling m155 3x the price for the blueprinted version did not seem worth it i mostly a dd .was also concerned about the composite drive gear
Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The gears are 1/2 inch longer, the resistance of the oil on the output side of the pump is where the resistance comes, alot of that is blown back out by the releif valve.

If it took alot of power to turn a HV pump in 30 wt oil my cordless hand drill would have a hard time priming the motor. (and its rated at 1.5 hp)

http://www.mellingselectperformance....lume-pumps.pdf
So, you are basing HP requirements by the ratings of a hand drill???

The myths and fables on that paper must not apply to the LT1, since both running the pan dry (not so common) and drive gear wear (more common) are real world concerns documented by lots of internet threads. I do agree that increased bearing clearances play a part in wanting an HV pump, but most people don't run big clearances and therefore don't need one.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shbox
So, you are basing HP requirements by the ratings of a hand drill???
what I am saying is that using an extra hp or 2 will not be noticed between the two pumps and first off cannot even be shown on a dyno, Oil pressure differences have been proven on a dyno, even with a stock volume pump.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I said this as well.

Quick Reply: sbc lt1 oil pump