See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

cost to change intake manifold gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default cost to change intake manifold gasket?

I had mine done a little over 2 years ago but it's leaking again. i got a special deal back then so i have no idea what it should cost to fix. What is a normal shop cost to change the intake manifold gasket on an LT1?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it you don't want to do it yourself? It's pretty easy. Wish I could give you an answer to your question lol. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would charge someone $100 to do it.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1badzee
I take it you don't want to do it yourself? It's pretty easy. Wish I could give you an answer to your question lol. Good luck!
considering a guy who knew what he was doing did it ~ 2 years ago and it's leaking again and i'm not very good at mechanical stuff (i spent about 3 hrs changing a window motor the other night because i couldn't get the damn thing to line up right, and i had changed it once before) no i don't trust myself ot not **** it up
Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
considering a guy who knew what he was doing did it ~ 2 years ago and it's leaking again and i'm not very good at mechanical stuff (i spent about 3 hrs changing a window motor the other night because i couldn't get the damn thing to line up right, and i had changed it once before) no i don't trust myself ot not **** it up
Window motor took me a couple hours too lol. Big Greek clumsy hands can only get so far before excessive force is required - which usually leads to **** breaking. I hear ya though. Working on cars isn't for everyone. Good luck man
Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Window motor took me a couple hours too lol. Big Greek clumsy hands can only get so far before excessive force is required - which usually leads to **** breaking. I hear ya though. Working on cars isn't for everyone. Good luck man
yeah i had done it before in about an hr which is why i don't know how i screwed it up so bad. i just couldn't get the motor to align right. i kept dropping screws and what not and even had to give up for the night, lol. i tried to fix a stripped hole in my door the other night and ended up having to fix speaker wire connectors which broke off during the process (non stock stuff)

I can change an airbox on an engine but that's about it. i don't even change my own oil.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
yeah i had done it before in about an hr which is why i don't know how i screwed it up so bad. i just couldn't get the motor to align right. i kept dropping screws and what not and even had to give up for the night, lol. i tried to fix a stripped hole in my door the other night and ended up having to fix speaker wire connectors which broke off during the process (non stock stuff)

I can change an airbox on an engine but that's about it. i don't even change my own oil.
At least you admit it and don't go around messing things up with the "I can do it myself, don't know how, but will do it anyway because I'm a man" attitude. All that matters is that you have an LT1. Long live the opti
Old 10-07-2010, 01:25 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When i read stuff like this i get sick, because all it takes is basic tools. Having worked at a dealership and seeing how easy it is cant believe people pay to have it done.

I would tell OP it depends on what the labor rate is. I'm guessing around 3-6 hours. I use to do it in 40 minutes. I got sick of working on cars (got burnt out!) that's why i quit. Dont mind working on my own stuff though

Last edited by LT1; 10-07-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The intake manifold leak fix is a great project for the novice mechanic. Pick up a $100 set of nice tools and dive in. If you do your homework there's no reason you shouldn't be able to take care of it yourself. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, comeon man it's not that hard and there is really not much you could screw up there. I did mine and had it all done in less than 2 hours, it's really not that hard.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The intake manifold leak fix is a great project for the novice mechanic. Pick up a $100 set of nice tools and dive in. If you do your homework there's no reason you shouldn't be able to take care of it yourself. Good luck!
I agree! also the EGR is often the culprit w/ intake mani leaks, all that hot air creates a hot spot. if you delete it you'll have a better chance of this not happening again in 2yrs
Old 10-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

Shop rates average about 90 to 110 an hour around here. You'd probably get charged a minimum of two hours labor. There was one f-body specific shop in MD that would charge around $400. Even then you can't go away with warm fuzzies because you have no idea if the tool behind the tool took specific precautions (ie THOROUGHLY cleaning the mating surfaces, making sure intake was placed straight down onto engine and letting sealant cure before being started) to ensure the leak would not return so, as already stated, do the research and do it yourself.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yep i agree with these guys.....its not that hard to do you just have to be concious about being clean. I'd do the reasearch and do it yourself its not that bad of a job to do at all......plus we can help u out wit info on here.....hell i could do one blindfolded i had mine off so many times lol
Old 10-07-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

I once had to do an emergency opti change, in the rain, on muddy ground (ironic, no?). Did my intake mani gaskets one morning outside of my apartment complex lol. This stuff is pretty simple to do. You don't need any spacial tools. Just basic hand tools, some patience and a plethora of 4-letter words. I respect that you can admit that you are not mechanically inclined, but with the help of LS1tech I think you can manage!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did mine a couple months ago, I have never took off or installed a manifold in my life. Tackled it one day and only took me an hour and half to get it off, could of done it in a day but I also painted my manifold. I found the job easier to do then changing spark plugs and wires.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
I agree! also the EGR is often the culprit w/ intake mani leaks, all that hot air creates a hot spot. if you delete it you'll have a better chance of this not happening again in 2yrs
can you delete the EGR and still pass a dyno roller emissions test? i just passed for 2011 but i have to go every 2 years. i wish lake and porter county indiana would exempt all 1995 and older cars like illinois and michigan did.

as for doing it myself, doesn't it take a lot of coordination to get the intake back on the engine? i guess if i removed the cowl and the windshield i could drop it straight down but there is not a chance in hell i'd get it on there without moving it and breaking the seal.

I'd probably just pull it off and throw RTV and put it back on. there is no way i'd get the block that clean enough for it to not leak again.

If i can go a non RTV route and just buy a whole gasket such as the oil pan or the valve cover gaskets, i might consider it, but I'm pretty sure i'd make the leak worse by trying to do the RTV and what not myself. I'm just being honest here, i suck at working on engines. I can remove my ram air box pretty good, and i replaced the hose that goes from the TB to the pass side valve cover but thats about all i've done engine wise, lol.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 10-07-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

Did my intake mani gaskets one morning outside of my apartment complex lol.
pfffff
Cylinder head removal/install
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Old 10-07-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

LOL. some of you guys are great at mechanicals i guess. i'd be afraid i would totally not get the sealant right and **** everything up. what would happen if i got RTV down into the block?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did mine a couple of months ago and its leaking from the back of the manifold pretty bad (at least I hope its there), I probably didn't put enough RTV on it.

It was relatively easy, just took a while since it was my first time since I couldn't figure out how to remove the back bolts because emissions **** was in the way, but now I know - REMOVE THAT **** FIRST, and if you have to put it back (unfortunately I did, lol) put it back on last!

Hardest part was putting it back down perfectly without sliding, which is probably why mine leaks now, I tried to do it by myself leaning as far as I could into the hood lol - didn't work so well.

Probably need a torque wrench and just follow shbox's instructions on the order of the bolts.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its easy just nuts and bolts. Put some dowl pins in the bolt holes so it goes on straight and use the right Stuff for RTV.

Quick Reply: cost to change intake manifold gasket?