Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
LPP - Stainless
23.08%
BBK - Why spend more
76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LPP or BBK Headers and Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LPP or BBK Headers and Y-Pipe

Okay, I am ready to get Long Tube Headers and an Off Road Y-Pipe. I have narrowed it down to BBK or LPP. I am looking for some suggestions on what I should choose.

LPP
I like that they are stainless. I can get the setup for $600 shipped and then buy 1" bolts and gaskets.
I haven't heard too many great things about customer service or fitment. And I am alittle confused about if they are same as SSAutoChrome or XS...I think they are alittle different now.

BBK
I can get the Chrome setup for $370 shipped with gaskets and bolts. I don't think the Ceramic coating is worth the extra money since it does not last very long (from my experience and from many other people's experience with BBK's, Pacesetter, Jet-Hot, etc.).
I'm pretty sure the fitment is very good. Not thrilled about the 2.5" Y-pipe (Not sure if they would provide the same power gains as the LPP).

What do you think. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would go with the bbk setup.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BBK ceramic coating not lasting long? That's new to me.. They still look brand new. I have had them for about 7 month's and have been through rain over a 10 time's and no flaking or anything. BBK has some really good ceramic coating unlike pacesetter.. When I bought them they had alittle surface rust in the inside because of plastic though and burned off once started(not coated on the inside). The chrome one's turn a tint of blue but no report's of rust.
Also the fitment is freakin great. They slipped right in and they tuck up great right to the body of the car. Non of the BBK header's and Y pipe have ever hit anything. My LM1 bullet is the lowest part of my car. They also have a great merge pipe. Good enough for me to have no rasp with my LM1 and I'm sure the 2 1/2" Y pipe isn't hurting bad as long as you have a 3" exhaust.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My LPP's were a pain in the *** to start off with (fitment) but they are perfectly fine now with the exception of a plastic bag got wrapped around my ORY so its kinda ugly in that spot. I probably wouldn't do LPP's again but stainless is nice. If you're set on stainless I'd save up and get a better brand or just get some ceramic coated ones although they will not look as nice under the hood.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have LPP, they are great for the money, I did have to do some slight modification but for the money it was worth it. I got mine for close to $1000 with catted y pipe, o2 extension, new band clamps and stage 8 locking bolts.

The one thing I dont like about them is they leak at the slip fit joints, I have tried tightening the clamps, muffler cement and they still leak. My next set will be ARH, they have better fitment and the flanges dont leak. I did save over $800 with my setup, enough to do some other mods.

See my post.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...some-pics.html
Old 11-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Default Gaskets

Are the BBK supplied header gaskets and bolts any good?
If not, I am thinking of getting Fel Pros or GM MLS (where to buy GMPartDirect?)
Does anyone know what number for the Fel Pro?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the BBK. I went to the GM dealership and got a set of stock header gaskets. I also used the old bolts and it worked out just fine for me.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just reused my bolts and gasket's (Low miles). The gasket's look good enough to reuse.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

SpeedInc has those Fel-Pro gaskets you speak of, they also have a GM original replacement gasket which is the one 1 got for mine. I also got Stage8 locking bolts, idk about you but personally, i would rather have new stuff instead of re-using old parts. Unless BBK is now supplying these parts, but either way. I think you should go ahead and buy a set of locking bolts & gaskets. More then likely, you will be supplied with cheaper material ya know???

As for the header's, i really never looked in to LPP but after reading some reviews and seeing the issues some guys have. I would rather save up and go with QTP's/Kooks or ARH. Which is what ill be doing probably sometime next year. Just want to upgrade to a stainless setup, but as for now. My BBK's have been great, held up nicely to the weather and ive driven them through rain & snow. Ground clearance is great, almost hides the fact that you have longtubes & y-pipe under there with how well the y is tucked up. I also dont see the 2.5" y, being a problem. Unless your concerned with dyno numbers and every HP you can get, then i guess go with another longtube & y setup. Most aftermarket catbacks go from a 3" I-Pipe and merge back to a 2.5" out the back. So i really wouldnt see the difference if you went 3" y and catback merges back to 2.5" after the muffler. Unless you go custom then ok, i see it lol But other then that, i dont find it to be a big deal at all...Im not worried about HP numbers though, dont really mean a thing.

I went with the Ceramic coated, im not a chrome guy though. Chrome is the cheaper one but $499 shipped with y-pipe for ceramic coated is still a great deal. Ive also had mine for over 1 1/2 years now, come feb. it'll be 2yrs running them.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I have older version LPP called XS. Supposedly the new ones are improved, but I had all kinds of hassles with the driver's side ... resting on the motor mount, hitting the k-member, collector pointing up causing the y-pipe to bang ... the process to make it work was too involved to describe here. Plus the merge was terrible so I had it hacked off and a FM merge welded in.

The end result is fine now except it hangs way too low and stainless is nice because I drive in all kinds of weather.

But listen to the BBK guys ... no problems, no complaints.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Default o2 extensions

Do I need o2 extensions for the front one's or the back. I don't think I need to run the back ones b/c they will tuned out since I will not have cats.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive got the BBK setup on my TA n it went it NOOOO problems what so ever. I got the chrome n its still shinin. And i could Immidatly tell the difference in power from stock. i love it.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BowtieFever
Do I need o2 extensions for the front one's or the back. I don't think I need to run the back ones b/c they will tuned out since I will not have cats.
Yes, you need the O2 extensions for the fronts. Rear's do not need them, but you will have to plug in the rear's to plug up the O2 bungs in the Y-Pipe. If moneys not much of an issue, get the Bosch Vette Rear sensors from ws6store.com. They fit perfectly, and you get a new O2 sensor that'll have enough length to reach the front O2's or just buy the 24" extensions. Both will work but if you want a new sensor on there, get the one i suggested.

Quick Reply: LPP or BBK Headers and Y-Pipe