LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine Oil Cooler Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Engine Oil Cooler Removal?

Hey guys, while i'm doing my header swap I have to to change a whole bunch of leaky seals and one of them is my oil cooler housing. I've heard of people taking these off completely.

My question is, is it safe to run the car without one? I race a lot and go to the strip also so I wasn't sure about it. Also, if you are able to remove the whole assembly, what all needs to be removed?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can remove it without a problem. It's essentially useless and doesn't provide much benefit, not to mention it just gets in the way half the time. In fact it's so useless that GM stopped offering it as an option in 1996.

All you have to do is remove everything and reuse the stock adapter. Cut off the fat part of the top of the two bolts, and all you need after that is the coolant bypass hose, OR plug the fittings in the lower radiator and water pump.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You can remove it without a problem. It's essentially useless and doesn't provide much benefit, not to mention it just gets in the way half the time. In fact it's so useless that GM stopped offering it as an option in 1996.

All you have to do is remove everything and reuse the stock adapter. Cut off the fat part of the top of the two bolts, and all you need after that is the coolant bypass hose, OR plug the fittings in the lower radiator and water pump.
So i remove the whole aluminum adapter off the block also? And then my oil filter will screw on like a any other SBC?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, remove the adapter. Then cut off the tops of the bolts. You'll see what I mean when you get there!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An oil cooler is a real nice thing to have if you actually race for more than 30 seconds at a time. It is worthless for drag racers though.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 05HD
An oil cooler is a real nice thing to have if you actually race for more than 30 seconds at a time. It is worthless for drag racers though.
I 100% agree. But the stock oil cooler has inherent disadvantages. They have been known to clog and cause serious oil pressure issues, and it's design has been proven under certain circumstances to actually HEAT up the oil. Overall it's just a poor design.

If the OP wants an oil cooler, I highly suggest an aftermarket one because the stock one is just junk.

You can also run a much taller oil filter if you delete the KC4.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I 100% agree. But the stock oil cooler has inherent disadvantages. They have been known to clog and cause serious oil pressure issues, and it's design has been proven under certain circumstances to actually HEAT up the oil. Overall it's just a poor design.

If the OP wants an oil cooler, I highly suggest an aftermarket one because the stock one is just junk.

You can also run a much taller oil filter if you delete the KC4.
Sweet thanks! thats just what I was looking for, it'll be nice to have the normal tall SBC oil filter on there.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually had one leak oil into the coolant system.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

what's the part number for the hose replacement if you do delete it? can you get it at a local auto parts or do you have to order it??
Old 01-21-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlpz
what's the part number for the hose replacement if you do delete it? can you get it at a local auto parts or do you have to order it??
Just get the appropriate sized heater hose from the local parts store and swap it out.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS Sick
Just get the appropriate sized heater hose from the local parts store and swap it out.
The thing is I don't have the appropriate size hose..I have the oil cooler lines.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlpz
The thing is I don't have the appropriate size hose..I have the oil cooler lines.
If youre doing away with the oil cooler you can take all that out and just put a hose from the waterpump to the radiator.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:41 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You should find a oil filter adapter (pictured below) bolted to the block after you remove the cooler adapter.

The stock oil cooler sends "chilled" coolant to the oil cooler adapter mounted between the engine block and the oil filter. It supposedly cools the oil and then goes to the front again. The oil never leaves the block/adapter/filter.

If you have radiator and/or waterpump issues, the factory "oil cooler" will heat the oil rather than cool it.

Yank this hodge-podge of a mess out and plumb the hose from the waterpump to the radiator.

If you feel you need a cooler, get a real one with plates like a Earls, not one with just tubes running left to right. You'll need a block sandwich adapter. If you have headers, the sanwich adapter becomes an issue as the hoses will hit the exhaust. I went with the Canton adapter that can be rotated to point the hose fittings where you need it, not into the headers. Somebody wanna buy it?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...il-cooler.html

that was my old thread that has a pic of the oil cooler that i had...fortunately you didn't have to go through such a headache like i did lol i was still new to these cars and didn't know that they had 2 different oil coolers that were offered in 95'...and i'm sure a lot of people on here don't know that either unless they had it on theirs lol.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Cooler Removal?