Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Mixing off brand crossover with component set

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mixing off brand crossover with component set

Anyone know how mixing a different brand crossover with a different set of component speakers will effect the quality? Looking at a set of Focal Utopia's, but they come with a Diamond Audio Hex S5.0 crossover. I was planning on going with the Polykevlars, but might be able to get the Utopia's for a decent price because of the mix match, but don't want to do it if I'm gonna give up a lot of sound quality.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Crossovers are matched to a component set by manufacter. One manufacters frequency range for tweeters may be different than anothers. Same with midranges. This can cause the Tweeter to reproduce frequencies it was not intended for and blow the speakers. Tweeters are very fragile if you send to low of a frequency. I would not buy those speakers if I was you.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should never mix and match components and crossovers. Very bad idea.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used to have a set of Infinity Kappa 6.5 components with no x-overs. I bought a set of MB Quart Pro x's and they sounded great. I never had it RTA'd or anything, but it sounded pretty damn good. I don't know if this would always apply, but the MB's had various settings on them (ie tweeter attenuation) that I messed with and came out with a great sound.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Zo6Killer
I used to have a set of Infinity Kappa 6.5 components with no x-overs. I bought a set of MB Quart Pro x's and they sounded great. I never had it RTA'd or anything, but it sounded pretty damn good. I don't know if this would always apply, but the MB's had various settings on them (ie tweeter attenuation) that I messed with and came out with a great sound.
The setting on MB Quarts crossovers allow you to raise or lower the DB of the tweeter. But its at a predetermined frequency. It in no way allows you to adjust the crossover points.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maddboost
The setting on MB Quarts crossovers allow you to raise or lower the DB of the tweeter. But its at a predetermined frequency. It in no way allows you to adjust the crossover points.
And I believe that is known as "attenuation". Like I said, it might not work for everyone, but mine sounded really good.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Zo6Killer
And I believe that is known as "attenuation". Like I said, it might not work for everyone, but mine sounded really good.
I dont try to use big words it just makes most people feel stupid. I was a saleman of high end car audio so I know how to "Dumb down" car audio stuff so everyone can understand.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by maddboost
I dont try to use big words it just makes most people feel stupid. I was a saleman of high end car audio so I know how to "Dumb down" car audio stuff so everyone can understand.

Ditto

Technically attenuation is the reduction of or weaking of a force or value. In some X-over networks you have the ability to increase the DB on a tweeter so the word attenuation would be applicable.

Ok, that was dumb. Seriously though. You can get away with using a different X-over network on a set of speakers but like madboost stated it is generally not a good idea unless you know where the filters are set and/or if the components are of similar style and size IE. the x-over networks were set to run 5.25"s and titanium tweeters as opposed to 6.5"s and silk domes...

But if damage occurs you have no one to blame

Simply check with Diamond Audio where their X-overs are set and then check with Focal and see where they recomend x'ing over thier mids/highs at and if all matches up close enough go for it

Quick Reply: Mixing off brand crossover with component set