Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help identifying clutch & pp.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identifying clutch & pp.

So I dropped the trans planning on replacing the slave, but I guess I'll be replacing the clutch as well. Anybody have any idea what this one is? I was told the car had a stg 2 Monster. Obviously I was lied to....

I'm assuming it's stock, or stock replacement. It has Valeo stamped in the pp, but nothing at all on the clutch itself.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

I cleaned it up, but you think my slave was shot?

Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately you are a victim of a rather large scam that is spreading. I've had numerous customers send me emails saying their Monsters failed. I ask for pictures and I typically get this or other various Chinese knock offs.

We generally get the customer taken care of with a genuine Monster and they are good to go.

Be careful what you're told, there are a few guys out there that their sales pitches start with, "It's the same as Monster but a different color and cheaper!" If you don't buy it from us or one of our dealers/distributors then it's NOT the real thing!

This appears to be a generic Valeo cover with a set of weights on the diaphragm spring, I'd say Centerforce but it's not their signature orange. Give us a call, we'll get you into a REAL Monster, and we've got them on sale!!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

I actually called and spoke to Matt earlier today. I'm thinking about just going with a stag 1 since the car only has bolt ons and a 220/220 cam. Are all the PP the same for the different stages? I have a lq9 I'm going to build into a 408 this winter and would be nice if I only had to upgrade the clutch itself.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plan on doing a 408 I wouldn't do a Level 1.

We'll go over it in more detail when you call back and order.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

I don't want to put a stg 3+ on my ls1. The 408 won't be going in my car until next summer, but I need a clutch now. I'm asking about the pp so b/c I'm hoping I can get a stg 1 now and just upgrade the clutch plate itself for the 408.

What are the weights for? Seeing them sitting **** eyed is what made me think it was no good, because the clutch grabbed fine. Could they just be taken off?

Last edited by WeakSauce6; 05-11-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

The weights are to pull on the fingers at higher RPM for more clamp. They will be slightly loose so honestly as long as it was performing well, I would just wait until you put the 408 in and do it all at the same time. Since the engine and the clutch will need broke in, it may give you some incentive to not beat on either one until they are both broke in. But thats just how I would do it. No sense in buying a stage one now and then spending more money on an upgrade later if the clutch is performing fine.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

So I called my local machine shop today to ask about re-surfacing my flywheel and getting the assembly balanced together. They said they had no way of balancing the flywheel w/ the pressure plate together. Where else could I get something like this done?

Quick Reply: Help identifying clutch & pp.