General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New Cut-Out first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Cut-Out first impressions

I jus installed my new cutout, and it was placed right after my cat.

When I fired it up without the restrictor plate,
it has a RUMBLE sound to it, sounds exactly like my magnaflow tone, but LOUDER (obviously).

I was expecting RASP and annoying drone cruising down the highway, but my rasp wasn't noticed, and since its after the cat there is a slight drone, but it sure as hell wakes up at WOT, and my entire car shakes like a 9.0 earthquake.

I also got the cutout to help fix my exhaust rattle, and i need my mid pipe to be extended like 1/4 of an inch so that it isn't resting on my rear axle/ suspension, it was greatly reduced, but still some noise still present.

I Wizzed by a radar cop, let my foot off the accelerator and my noise dropped just enough so he wouldn't take notice, then carried on my way. Maybe he did notice and didn't care? Idk, i was abit scared he was gonna turn on his lights, but he didn't even bother. I'm not to sure if exhaust noise is strict, but no need to bring extra attention obviously, but with that being said, so far so good

The only gripe i got so far is that the cutout is pointing directly at my tires lol, its a good 1 1/2 feet away, but I am definitely going to get a down-pipe accessory like when my check clears to vent the hot exhaust away from my under carriage & tires. Then my next step is to get an Electric cutout actuator, maybe wireless, but I have no idea who would be able to install it.

Just thought i'd share my impressions, enjoy
Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

enjoy it now after a couple months it starts to get old especially with lts.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by noboundreez2345
yeah i know, thats why I want to get the QTP electric cutouts soon. its a good mod for the money imo, so far im very pleased with the turnout and i cant wait for the downpipes i ordered
Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also noticed a jump in MPG but who cares i am a one man earthquake machine
Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
I also noticed a jump in MPG but who cares i am a one man earthquake machine
Oh yea? Intersting.. I wondered if there would be a noticeable fuel mileage increase.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by T-Top
Oh yea? Intersting.. I wondered if there would be a noticeable fuel mileage increase.
I can't say exactly what it will be considering my cruise control isnt working right now.. ugh out of all things right? .. but with that being said, without cruise control, rolling down the highway to work, my gas gauge needle is moving slower than it normally does and it was noticeable.. and this is without cruise control maybe im jumpin the gun here, I'll update the next time i fill up
Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Please do.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by noboundreez2345

Tell me about it. My brother took a crow bar and gutted his cats and runs it through a loud mouth. After an hour of running erands in the car I had a headache. Loud *** exhaust blaring in the car gets old.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Tell me about it. My brother took a crow bar and gutted his cats and runs it through a loud mouth. After an hour of running erands in the car I had a headache. Loud *** exhaust blaring in the car gets old.
yeah I can imagine, but with my cat still there, its not as bad as gutted cat + lm1 setup.

I'm sure it'll get old after a while, lol, but it sure has its perks until that time comes
Old 08-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

You could do installl the electric cutout. It's really not that big of a deal. Took me maybe 15 minutes. The hardest part was cutting out for the switch. But....if you go wireless then that won't be a problem. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redf02rmula
You could do installl the electric cutout. It's really not that big of a deal. Took me maybe 15 minutes. The hardest part was cutting out for the switch. But....if you go wireless then that won't be a problem. Good luck.
hell yeah, might take me longer than 15 mins haha

where did u mount ur switch?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

I would've put it before the cat just my 2 cents
Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by canada4g63
I would've put it before the cat just my 2 cents
Not that I'm saying you're wrong 'OP, but I figured that's where a cut-out would go. Does it matter? Someone chime in and enlighten us...
Old 08-04-2011, 03:41 AM
Staging Lane

hell yeah, might take me longer than 15 mins haha

where did u mount ur switch?
I mounted it right under the trunk release switch. I took of that panel, and cut out a piece big enough for my cut out. Okay i might have exaggerated? maybe 20 to 25? it really wasn't that tough.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
Not that I'm saying you're wrong 'OP, but I figured that's where a cut-out would go. Does it matter? Someone chime in and enlighten us...
Various reasons,
1) sound is a big reason, with cutout plate & without cutout plate
2) The car originally had a ORY, and the dealership welded in a cat, and my cutout wouldnt fit after the Y merges.. I guess it could've relocated it, but
3) diddn't want to chance a check engine light with the cut out plate off
4) the smell ( I don't smell anything right now )
5) its right under the rear seats, perfect to run a electric cutout in the future
6) don't wanna chance emission regulations, its 50/50 in my town, some care some don't

Regarding the sound, I've heard a orx on a new edge mustang with a cut-out on the LT headers.. sounded like a pop corn machine

I should post a exhaust video lol

EDIT: I'ma head to a dyno soon and see what she gains, if anything, and I'll post my results here

Last edited by LeanPocket; 08-04-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: important addition
Old 08-04-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

btw i filled up yesterday, and i indeed gained 21 (ehh 20.8 I'm rounding up) mpg combined up from around 19ish .. without cruise control.. im intrigued what it would've been if i had my cruise control was working lol
Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

btw i filled up yesterday, and i indeed gained 21 (ehh 20.8 I'm rounding up) mpg combined up from around 19ish .. without cruise control.. im intrigued what it would've been if i had my cruise control was working lol
Sweet! Yea I am going to fill up for the first time today but I don't expect to tell a difference on this tank since I have driven it harder and reved it for my friends several times (everyone asks you to lol). As far as the placement, that is exactly where I put mine for all of the reasons you listed. When you install the e cutout it will fit perfectly up into a little groove in the floor and there is a rubber grommet to run the power wire. It's almost like it was made to have the e cutout there, lol.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet! Yea I am going to fill up for the first time today but I don't expect to tell a difference on this tank since I have driven it harder and reved it for my friends several times (everyone asks you to lol). As far as the placement, that is exactly where I put mine for all of the reasons you listed. When you install the e cutout it will fit perfectly up into a little groove in the floor and there is a rubber grommet to run the power wire. It's almost like it was made to have the e cutout there, lol.
dude for real, every lil bits helps!
Although i prolly won't see much of any HP gains, maybe like what 5? 1? cuz i already have LT's but my exhaust tone sounds so badass lol

my downturn accessory comes in on monday, u should prolly get one too
Old 08-04-2011, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

yea I love it. I may look into the downturn, where did you order from?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea I love it. I may look into the downturn, where did you order from?
http://www.amazon.com/11300-Polished...2491173&sr=1-1

Those som bitches are expensive, but this is the best value i could find. 27.99 and decent shipping price. It has a 360 degree floating flange so i can rotate it to any angle i so desire, i jus want a true turndown, i want to vent the entire hot exhaust away from my tires and under carriage

or if ur a badass, u can go get em fabricated really cheap at a custom weld shop, unfortunately those are 50 miles away for a cheap lil downturn for me lol

EDIT: I bought my cutout from someone on ls1tech, i should take a pic of it or something lol