General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Speedometer past 155

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedometer past 155

Next year I'm dropping either a 440 or 454 LSX in my trans am. As a lot of you know that's a lot of power! With power comes a lot of speed. The odometer's only show 155. I was wondering if anyone has came up with a mod to get a speedometer to show faster then 155? Like a custom looking gauge or something of the sort. I have looked online and I haven't seen much about it. So thats just going to be one small mod on my car.

So if anyone has any ideas or has done something like this to a Trans am or Camaro please let me know. Pictures are good with mod's.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=262

they can do anything you want to with the gauges..
Old 10-15-2011, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

That's good on the gauges but is it hard to calibrate the speedometer to the new gauge lay out for it to read from 1 to 200? It cant be that hard can it?
Old 10-15-2011, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First, Greetings from Mazar-i-Sharif...

Second, they can recalibrate your Speedo when you get it put in.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NVUSZ28
First, Greetings from Mazar-i-Sharif...

Second, they can recalibrate your Speedo when you get it put in.
So they can do that without the car having to be there? I'm just wondering because I wouldn't know at all what to do. But I guess i could find someone local to do it.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

You going to the salt flats? Why should you care to go faster than 155mph? Just saying... should be the least of your problems running a powerful motor like that. But if your worried about speed regulators or what not I'm sure your tune with the new motor would fix all that, and what does a buried needle cause but unsightliness.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ck-302-10.html
Old 10-15-2011, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well if you can hit 200 mph why not have a speedo to show it, its not hard to do, and i know if I go to a texas mile event with mine I want a 200 mph speedo
Old 10-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Very true. I guess he never really specified his intentions with the motor upgrade, which is basically what I was trying to get at.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

+1 for 6LE overlay. I just have the normal overlay for mine as i don't plan on doing over 155 again anytime soon, but as someone mentioned you can get yours recalibrated. Also I have an Aeroforce gauge which shows many different outputs from the car, one of which is MPH, so thats another option.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MidknyteRacer
Very true. I guess he never really specified his intentions with the motor upgrade, which is basically what I was trying to get at.
Doesn't really matter "why" he wants to do it. He didn't ask for anyone's approval he just asked if the gauge technology would support it. Where is your internet police badge?

And to Blazen Fire, with a motor like that, you might need something past 200 depending on how its built! Have fun buddy!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blazen Fire
So they can do that without the car having to be there? I'm just wondering because I wouldn't know at all what to do. But I guess i could find someone local to do it.
If you find someone let me know. I scoured the country and found ONE guy who turned out to be local.

He can easily do it without the car, he's an electronics guru. You basically have to replace the drivers...

Something else to consider though, especially since the motor is changing, you could always do an aftermarket gauge set up...
Old 10-15-2011, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
If you find someone let me know. I scoured the country and found ONE guy who turned out to be local.

He can easily do it without the car, he's an electronics guru. You basically have to replace the drivers...

Something else to consider though, especially since the motor is changing, you could always do an aftermarket gauge set up...
Well to be honest man I have no idea on what to do. I just know with the type of power that I am looking for (that being 650+ to the wheels at least) I was going to need a bigger odometer. But Im going to completely gut and redo my 2001 Trans am that Im picking up Wednesday or Thursday. I have a lot of stuff Im doing to this car. This is my first complete build ever. I just have seen alot of video's with the gauges topping out at 155 easy. So I told myself I want to see mine go past that mark. So I thought a simple gauge upgrade would help and of course a complete calibrated and tuned in adjustments.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS.SIX
Doesn't really matter "why" he wants to do it. He didn't ask for anyone's approval he just asked if the gauge technology would support it. Where is your internet police badge?

And to Blazen Fire, with a motor like that, you might need something past 200 depending on how its built! Have fun buddy!
lol do you think a car like that can actually handle speeds over 200? I mean I know the super cars can hold together but can a Trans am hold together with that much force. I know tires are defiantly going to be a a big factor. I would hate to see my "Superhawk Hood" explode at those speeds lol
Old 10-15-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

6LE can do it but if youre looking at your speedo after 150, your ****** crazy.... Ever been 150+? I have, **** gets hairy no matter what youre driving.. Good luck man....
Old 10-15-2011, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MidknyteRacer
You going to the salt flats? Why should you care to go faster than 155mph? Just saying... should be the least of your problems running a powerful motor like that. But if your worried about speed regulators or what not I'm sure your tune with the new motor would fix all that, and what does a buried needle cause but unsightliness.
I care because I would like to know just for the simple fact I built this beast and I want to know her top speed (if I can reach it) But if it takes me going to the Salt Flats in Utah, then you beat that me and my car will be there to join the 200 mile pre hour club lol. But to watch a needle get buried is fun but its not for me. Im just craving more I guess. I want to completely customize my car from top to bottom. Just a modification I want is all.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
6LE can do it but if youre looking at your speedo after 150, your ****** crazy.... Ever been 150+? I have, **** gets hairy no matter what youre driving.. Good luck man....
lol to be honest I have only been 130. At that speed my blood was BUMPING for sure. But its so funny after you slow down to 70 everything is moving in slow motion lol Well it seemed like I was going slow. But yea thanks for the info for sure. Yea I saw all his gauges and about how custom you can go on them. Boy did my brain ever start working on ideas. Like having a led "LSX" symbol where the rev limiter is and what color it should be. Im just getting ideas together. I read so much on here about builds, small custom's done to the cars, and just peoples out look on there own ride. Reading them drives me to want to do more to my ride. Just something that has got me through this deployment really.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
Thank you very much for that link man! Thats pretty much what I was asking for! But the 6liter ones are very customizable and I think Im going to go with him.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

simple answer , use a gps
Old 10-15-2011, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by murphinator
simple answer , use a gps
lol na I want that odometer! To watch tac rise!

Quick Reply: Speedometer past 155