Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn bell housing Bolts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn bell housing Bolts!!!

So I got my new Performabuilt transmission and I was pulling the bell housing off my old one to swap it to the new one. I'm using a 3/8 drive Torx Plus 50 bit and after blowing one of my nuts, I finally got one bolt out. On the second bolt I was very careful to keep the drive straight but the transmission slide a little and I stripped the head.
So now I'm guessing my only option is to drill the head off of the stripped bolt. What kind of drill bit would work best for these bolts? I'm guessing they are extremely hard and I don't think my standard drill bits will work since they barely go through sheet metal anymore. Is there a better way to get this out?

Next, how the heck do I get the rest of the bolts out? The options I see are to get a torch and heat up the back of the bell housing. I'm also wondering if I get a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and use either a huge 1/2 breaker bar or my impact. The impact makes me a little nervous though.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh man that sucks. Did you drop the trans brace so you could pull the tail of the trans down? Thats how you can get better access to the bolts and you would go in from an angle with a swivel. As for the stripped bolt dude idk just figure it out. That sucks.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

when i know bolts are gonna be tighter than a dicks hatband i knock the **** outta them with a hammer first. as far as the stripped bolt if you can get a sharp chisel and cut a notch in it then use a dull or flat chisel to work it loose. that works every time...about 90% of the time. it might be best to get an adapter and use a 1/2 inch breaker bar. i stay away from impacts with torx bits. just my .02 though. take it for what its worth.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Oh man that sucks. Did you drop the trans brace so you could pull the tail of the trans down? Thats how you can get better access to the bolts and you would go in from an angle with a swivel. As for the stripped bolt dude idk just figure it out. That sucks.
I got the transmissions out, the bolt I stripped are the ones inside the transmission that hold the bell housing to the tranny. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by msydow
when i know bolts are gonna be tighter than a dicks hatband i knock the **** outta them with a hammer first. as far as the stripped bolt if you can get a sharp chisel and cut a notch in it then use a dull or flat chisel to work it loose. that works every time...about 90% of the time. it might be best to get an adapter and use a 1/2 inch breaker bar. i stay away from impacts with torx bits. just my .02 though. take it for what its worth.
Thanks, I'll try the chisel tomorrow. When stuff like this happens I just need to walk away before I break something else.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:36 AM
11 Second Club

".... if I get a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and use either a huge 1/2 breaker bar or my impact.."

yep, get an adapter or a 1/2 " drive drive Torx Plus 50 bit AND A LONG BREAKER BAR
Johnny
Old 10-19-2011, 08:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Load it up and bring it to me. I'll handle it for ya, no biggie. I'm in Garland bud.

g
Old 10-19-2011, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I 2nd smacking it with a hammer first, this works very well. Some use heat. I had one that a previous owner had stripped and I had to drill it out. The bolts aren't that hard, normal drill bits will work, but they need to be sharp or new. Once you drill it large enough, the head will fall off and the remainder will turn out by hand once you get the bell off.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are all great ideas... but I've found that a nice 1/2" impact gun on 120psi shop air and a 1/2 to 3/8 drive adapter works in seconds.

For the ones I have to get rowdy with I use a rather aggressive approach. I take my air hammer with a sharp bit that will bite the head and walk it out. Only problem with that maneuver is the bell housing funnels the noise right at my head! LOL...

g
Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
Those are all great ideas... but I've found that a nice 1/2" impact gun on 120psi shop air and a 1/2 to 3/8 drive adapter works in seconds.

For the ones I have to get rowdy with I use a rather aggressive approach. I take my air hammer with a sharp bit that will bite the head and walk it out. Only problem with that maneuver is the bell housing funnels the noise right at my head! LOL...

g
Thanks for the advice Gilbert. I'll try drilling the head off the stripped one, and give the others a good whack with a hammer before using my impact to get them out. If I don't have any luck with that I may come see you, I work in Richardson.

To buy a replacement bolt, do I need to go to the dealer or is there someplace else that would have these?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

GM/AC Delco part number 24203265
M10x1.5x45 10 OD Torx Plus HD

from GM parts layout catalog
Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for every ones help. A bit of advice to anyone removing these bolts, don't go cheap and get the OTC brand Torx plus 50 bit, get the Snap-on version. After drilling the head off the stripped bolt I was able to finally get the bell housing off. When putting it on the new transmission I stripped 2 more bolts on the last torque pattern. I put lock tight on them and they were close enough to the torque spec that I'm not removing them. I'm guessing that the OTC tool is just a little bit looser fitting that it should be.

Quick Reply: Damn bell housing Bolts!!!