Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing SES...help!!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flashing SES...help!!??

I'm hoping someone can help me before I pay someone for a ATAP hookup. Last November I broke a valvespring while cruising on the freeway @ 2100-2200 rpm. I think I got lucky 'cause the spring broke right near the top by the retainer. Anyway, It has sat all winter and last weekend I swapped in some blue stripe 918's, new plugs, wires. Started up, idled @ 850 once warmed up, seemed to run smooth. Now for the problem: If I granny shift and cruise @ 2000-3000 rpm the SES light comes on and flashes until I come to a stop. It goes out again while it idles. If I accelerate normally and run through 1st-2nd-3rd etc. and keep the revs up past 3000 rpm or stay accelerating it doesn't come on? As soon as I back off and shift into 4th or 5th etc. and the revs come down to 2500 or so I starts flashing again. I have the generic version of ATAP for Palm and it doesn't show any DTC's??? Like I said it seems to be running fine, idles perfect, it's smooth even when it's flashing. Could I have fried my O2 sensor when I broke my valve spring? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Flashing SES lights "usually" indicate a loose spark plug wire....
Old 03-25-2004, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

hmmm...i've checked all my connections. They are all new and secure. is there anything besides a misfire that would cause the SES light to flash?
Old 03-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Launching!

I got a flashing SES from a burned plug wire and also one from a disconnected fuel injector. I'd suggest taking car down to an Autozone or Checkers and have them pull the code at least.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flashing SES means multiple misfire detected... if it's just flashing but not setting a solid SES light I don't believe it will be detected w/the cheapie scanners... atap *might* see it in the history... but not sure

Check the plug wires, if they're sound (tight on plug and on coil pack, no physical damage) check the spark plugs, if they're sound then I'd prolly pop the valve covers next and check there... if you can autotap it watch the misfire count for all cylinders and see which cylinder is showing the highest count.. (should be obnoxiously high)
Old 03-25-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

flashing SES generally means CAT damage, its getting too hot (assuming u have cats). as mentioned before, a bad plug will cause this and it will snowball from their
Old 03-25-2004, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

I've got LT's w/out cats, so that's why I was wondering if my O2 sensor could have gotten fried when the valve broke...maybe unburnt fuel was getting pushout my exhaust? Could my valve be bent bad enough to misfire but still run smooth? When I changed the springs I spun valve by hand and it turned in the guide freely and didn't wobble or get hung up when I pulled it up/closed against the seat. If I can find someone with the enhanced version of ATAP will it show more info? the generic version that I have is useless...It shows "no DTC's detected"!!!????
Old 03-26-2004, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Am I making any sense at all? Should I go buy a leakdown tester? If it can mean cat damage that means that the O2 sensor is picking up alot of fuel right? Anyone ever have a flashing SES that DIDN'T mean a misfire? Sorry for the stupid questions and thanks for trying to answer them.