Sponsored by:

4L60E w/ manual valve body

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4L60E w/ manual valve body

Can this be done in the 4L60E? Full manual shift capability
Anyone manually shifting their 4L60E? All suggestions is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Anyone? NO ONE RACES THEIR 4L60E?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump. i'm interested too.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by BOLO
Anyone? NO ONE RACES THEIR 4L60E?
Yes of course we race our 4L60E. IMO, and I know many/most will agree, you will achieve faster drag strip times letting the trans shift by itself. I can tune my trans shift points within 100 rpm, no way could I get that accurate with manual shifting.
If you are racing on a road course, I would prefer full manual shifting, but not otherwise.

So, the question always is, why do you want full manual shifting?

BTW - I would have responded sooner if you were a newbie, but since you have 2000+ posts, I assume you know all this better than me.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Yes of course we race our 4L60E. IMO, and I know many/most will agree, you will achieve faster drag strip times letting the trans shift by itself. I can tune my trans shift points within 100 rpm, no way could I get that accurate with manual shifting.
If you are racing on a road course, I would prefer full manual shifting, but not otherwise.

So, the question always is, why do you want full manual shifting?

BTW - I would have responded sooner if you were a newbie, but since you have 2000+ posts, I assume you know all this better than me.
Thanks for your response. I know about letting the trans do all the shifting, but trying to set the best shift points without some kind of software/file (HP tuners) is a pita while you're at the track. That is why I would rather do without the computer doing the shifting.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

My experience with manual shifting mine is as follows.
1-2 will shift when you move the lever. In the C5, 2nd is 2nd, even for starting from a stop.
The issue is the 2-3 shift.
As soon as you move the lever to 3, the car thinks you are in drive, and the auto shifting takes over. So if you move it past the programmed MPH, the car get's confused as the mph limit has passed, and it simply says screw you, I don't know how to shift to 3 and it hits the rev limiter. Run over.
If you move the lever to 3 before you get to the pre-programmed shift mph, it's happy, see's the mph, waits for the rpm, and shifts itself. That isn't very manual.

I don't have a clue if you can convert one of these to full manual VB. And if you can, it isn't a 4L60E anymore, it's a 4L60.

Correct me if I'm wrong here Ted.

Ron
Old 11-22-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Ron:
I think we have established that the Vette's shifting is a bit different and as you specified.
Bolo is correct that you cannot change the shifting without e.g HP Tuners or EFILive. However despite the high price of tuning software, it would likely still be less than a full-manual valve body. Of course tuning software lets you do so much more, such as finding the best A/F and advance "curve".
I wonder if one of the aftermarket trans controllers might give you full manual control as an option, perhaps with paddle shifters.

Ted.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

In the long run, it might be best to have such tuning software not only to adjust for optimum shift points, but adjust and optimize other tuning perimeters. Thanks mrvedit.

Quick Reply: 4L60E w/ manual valve body