Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP head studs into 6.0l block, extremely hard to thread in, problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARP head studs into 6.0l block, extremely hard to thread in, problem?

I went to install ARP head studs i had in my old ls1 alum block into new 6.0L shortblock, and you can only thread them in about 2 turns by hand, then have to use an allen to slowly work them down into the block.

It took about 5 minutes each to do 2 studs so far. every stud was like this, would only thread in a few turns by hand then you can try and use the allen to slowly work them into the block (by tightening/untightening and they slowly work thier way down).

Any possibilities on why?? The threads seem clean as they can get. I put a bit of oil on each stud to lubricate it just a bit. I'll try some ARP moly lube i picked up tonight but i really doubt thatll make it easy to hand tighten thead in.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It might be a hyd lock. Try cleaning the hole and the stud, then spray a light lube like wd40 on them.
I would not use any oil or grease substance as it may crack the block.
Kurt
Old 04-24-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i usually spray brake clean in the holes, then blow out the holes with air.
try runnin a tap in one and see if it gets easier to thread in.

the moly lube is your best bet for torque readings. ive never had a problem with motor oil on the bolts cracking a block, aluminum or cast iron, head or mains.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Teching In

It cant be hyd lock, its hard to turn from the first thread in to the last. I finally worked it all the way down in but it doesnt feel right.

I'll try brake cleaning them out again and blowing them out.
And ARP Moly lube
argh
Old 04-24-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At the first sign of a problem; I would have called ARP for their advice.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Distorted threads

Originally Posted by AidanN20
I went to install ARP head studs i had in my old ls1 alum block into new 6.0L shortblock, and you can only thread them in about 2 turns by hand, then have to use an allen to slowly work them down into the block.

It took about 5 minutes each to do 2 studs so far. every stud was like this, would only thread in a few turns by hand then you can try and use the allen to slowly work them into the block (by tightening/untightening and they slowly work thier way down).

Any possibilities on why?? The threads seem clean as they can get. I put a bit of oil on each stud to lubricate it just a bit. I'll try some ARP moly lube i picked up tonight but i really doubt thatll make it easy to hand tighten thead in.
Whenever I machine a used block for MID sleeves I always run a thread forming tool through every head bolt hole - do not use a tap. I put a torque plate on after the sleeves are installed. Before doing this some blocks were so bad one would need a breaker bar to turn the bolts in. If the holes are clean and you are having difficulty, the threads need reforming.

Unfortunately, Time Sert (where I got mine) will no longer sell the LS1 thread forming tool. Some bone head broke the tool off in a block and is suing Time Sert for a block. I don't know off hand where you can get one but perhaps ARP knows another company that makes a thread forming tool for the LS1.

Steve Demirjian
Race Engine Development
Old 04-25-2004, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

honestly, it should not be that hard to install them. it seems as if your thread pattern is either too small or too big. i agree that you should have called ARP.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AidanN20

I just put 12pt studs in a 6.0 yesterday, it is exactly how you described, there was no liquid in the holes, it turned like 2 turns by hand and then I had too use an allen, but all went in ok, I pulled a few to just check what the threads looked like, and they all looked perfect
Old 04-25-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

kent moore makes the time sert kit i have used.
i have only used it on northstar aluminum blocks, never ls1. but they doo make a kit for ls1 i saw one on ebay.
you have to drill the old treads, tap(or whatever its called) then thread in a new time-sert. northstars suck *** by the way.

but this is an iron 6.0 block right? i dont see why you cant tap the holes.
i dont think you will hurt the block by running them in.
seems to have worked for "btl fed"

Last edited by Gen3Benz; 04-25-2004 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: ARP head studs into 6.0l block, extremely hard to thread in, problem?