Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bbf or lsx swap fox

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bbf or lsx swap fox

Hi. Im in the process of getting sll the psrts together for a bb fox build. I already have the 460, d0ve-c heads, swap kit with headers snd c6 trans. The thing is, I only have $1400 into it and I can sell all to make my money back. I have had a few people tell me to just do s ls series swap. I have been trying to find whats lll needed. I know motor, trans, k memder/mounts, computer. I have $4800 ss of right now to do it with. Can I pick some brains and get alittle help. Ive been sesrching but it seems I must be using the wrong wording cause I cant find direct answers. Also, I can get a easy 375-400whp with complete build of the 460 for roughly $4400. What kind of reliable power can be done with one of these?
Old 05-31-2013, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A freind of mine biult a 514ci bbf and put it in his notchback Mustang and went 10,20 in the quarter mile on race gas.............i freshed up a ls7 motor and used the stock crank, rods, stock untouched heads, stock lifters, stock rocker arms, stock timing chain and gears and used .005 pistons and converted it to wet sump and put a carburater on it and front mount distributor....and mild hydrolic roller cam and on pump gas went 9.52 on motor.......my buddy was pissed......lol...........LS motors for the win and i`m now biulding another notchback with a stockish ls3 motor.....

Use a AJE k-member with there LS motor mounts and AJE trans cross member with Dynotech conversion headers...
Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by booboo37
A freind of mine biult a 514ci bbf and put it in his notchback Mustang and went 10,20 in the quarter mile on race gas.............i freshed up a ls7 motor and used the stock crank, rods, stock untouched heads, stock lifters, stock rocker arms, stock timing chain and gears and used .005 pistons and converted it to wet sump and put a carburater on it and front mount distributor....and mild hydrolic roller cam and on pump gas went 9.52 on motor.......my buddy was pissed......lol...........LS motors for the win and i`m now biulding another notchback with a stockish ls3 motor.....

Use a AJE k-member with there LS motor mounts and AJE trans cross member with Dynotech conversion headers...
I was figuring the weight saved would be good for 4-5 tenths. We have a few 5.3l at a local reputable wrecking yard and my old man is good friends with the owners. I was thinking of doin a 5.3 for now and get everything in the car and running and build it later. Does anyone sell a full engine harness just incase I cant get one? Or a conversion harness? Will the stock fox body efi fuel system work with a bigger pump? Is there any issues ill run into?
Old 05-31-2013, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get a harness from psi or ebay for 400-500. psi has the ecu also. you can get a ecu from ebay programmed with vats and etc deleted for around $100 with stock tuning. roughly 600 bucks and you have ecu, harness and sensors. shop around and you will be happy you went ls instead of ford.
i am running a walbro 255 with my setup. 6.0/ls6 heads/comp cam/42lb injector/ 92 mm tb/ ls2 intake
Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigchief52780
you can get a harness from psi or ebay for 400-500. psi has the ecu also. you can get a ecu from ebay programmed with vats and etc deleted for around $100 with stock tuning. roughly 600 bucks and you have ecu, harness and sensors. shop around and you will be happy you went ls instead of ford.
i am running a walbro 255 with my setup. 6.0/ls6 heads/comp cam/42lb injector/ 92 mm tb/ ls2 intake
Thats whst I was figuring sround$600-700 for wiring. I know Reid that owens kaizenspeed here in kennewick wa and he is a awesome tuner.
So I can just put a bigger pump in the tank and use my current lines?
Also, I want to run a auto trans.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

The weight of a BBF is going suck.

Spend the $$$ on an lq4/lq9 and with only a cam you will be in the 400's. Or, spend $500 on a 5.3 and do a JY turbo build.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by onetype
The weight of a BBF is going suck.

Spend the $$$ on an lq4/lq9 and with only a cam you will be in the 400's. Or, spend $500 on a 5.3 and do a JY turbo build.
Yea the weight is a down fall.
I cant find a 6.0l anywhere local. The nearest isnabout a 45-60 min drive. They want $1100-1800 for the 6.0. That ranges from 80-200k+. Ive used car-part.com. is there any other sites I could use besides ebay?
Old 06-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

def go for an ls swap. Reliability is better. lighter and has strong aftermarket support just like the rest of the foxbody
Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SpeedyMerrickan
def go for an ls swap. Reliability is better. lighter and has strong aftermarket support just like the rest of the foxbody
What do you mean by more reliable? The bbf has developed a purty support.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest advantage to the lsx platform is the plethora of interchangeable parts.

You can take a lq9 and put the ls3 top end on it, then put a healthy cam in it and make darn near 500rwhp CAM ONLY, with a stock ls3 intake! There was a fella locally that made close to that with almost that exact setup.

The tunalbility is another advantage, you can make the engine run perfect with little headache!

Then there is the ease of getting it running. $450-$525 for a harness (from us.) If you keep it simple and go drive by cable. Easy 4 wire hookup, hit the key, and listen to her run!

The advantage to this swap is that there have been several guys do this swap, so there is a ton of info and threads on this very swap.

Bill

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by bbfTroy
Hi. Im in the process of getting sll the psrts together for a bb fox build. I already have the 460, d0ve-c heads, swap kit with headers snd c6 trans. The thing is, I only have $1400 into it and I can sell all to make my money back. I have had a few people tell me to just do s ls series swap. I have been trying to find whats lll needed. I know motor, trans, k memder/mounts, computer. I have $4800 ss of right now to do it with. Can I pick some brains and get alittle help. Ive been sesrching but it seems I must be using the wrong wording cause I cant find direct answers. Also, I can get a easy 375-400whp with complete build of the 460 for roughly $4400. What kind of reliable power can be done with one of these?
Do yourself a big favor, go LSX. I raced a 460 (466) powered `64 post Falcon for years and I'll tell you this, they make great torque but their internals are so heavy (over 2200 bob weights, 80lb. crank) they rev slower than most motors and you're talking C9VE-D0VE iron heads that motor will weigh nearly 700 lbs, it's a truck motor, good for a Lincoln, bad for a Fox body.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the imput so far. Its a definatly a hard decision since i already have all the parts to put it in and go. Ive got about $1700 in everything so far.

Quick Reply: bbf or lsx swap fox