Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting to improve throttle response.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Wanting to improve throttle response.

Hey guys,with my limited financial situation Im slowly trying to get my car to perform as it should.My mods are in my sig and while I have a slipping ls7 clutch preventing me from making any decent dyno numbers right now I still feel my motor is not as responsive as it can be..not sure if its tune related or mechanical.

My tuner suggested I get bigger intake pipe and filter since Im currently running a 3" cone filter going to a 3" pipe then to my 3"-4" 90* elbow connecting to my 85mm maf,then 4" coupler to my throttle body which is stock ls1 throttle body.He said that in the upper rpm range the motor was starving for air even with the ls6 intake.

Im getting a ported stock throttle body,4" pipe and 4' 90* elbow and bigger cone filter.Would this make any improvements? I doubt it will but I could be wrong.If I were to give a quick stab from idle,the motor hesitates a slightly..just enough to annoy me.If I hold the throttle above 1500 or so..it feels responsive.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-30-2013, 03:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your sticking with the ls6 intake They make a billet throttle body spacer so you can bolt up a after market four bolt 90mm/92'm throttle body.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=221251313823
Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbull87
If I were to give a quick stab from idle,the motor hesitates a slightly..just enough to annoy me.If I hold the throttle above 1500 or so..it feels responsive.

That's tune related: lean tip-in. Find a new tuner.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Part of me thinks the same but the next best tuner isnt close to me.Im hoping these small change in parts might help.Maybe next year Ill make a trip to another tuner and go through every detail..again.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Part of me thinks the same but the next best tuner isnt close to me.Im hoping these small change in parts might help.Maybe next year Ill make a trip to another tuner and go through every detail..again.
Although you haven't posted a picture of the current induction setup, I imagine it's like all 3rd gen swaps, which is nearly identical to a 04-06 GTO. I doubt that would be the culprit. It's possible you could have a bad MAF sensor, but like I said earlier, any competent tuner should be able to recognize that quickly.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Pic is in my sig,you can see the setup.Pretty basic.The maf is a new 85mm,I check it often for any dirt and its clean as a whistle,no codes etc.Car runs well but I feel it could tad better.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Poly motor mounts and trans mount increases throttle response a good amount too!!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Already have poly mounts when I did the swap.Any mount I remove..gets poly treatment when being reinstalled.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Staging Lane

I would bet it's tune related as well no way if it was right you'd have to hold it @ 1500 to get the throttle response you want
Old 08-01-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmarilloWS6
Poly motor mounts and trans mount increases throttle response a good amount too!!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
The OP states
I still feel my motor is not as responsive as it can be
Notice how he says "can be", so I stated a way that he could improve it. Now wtf did I do wrong dumbass?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now wtf did I do wrong dumbass?
Engine mounts don't affect throttle response!!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Engine mounts don't affect throttle response!!

They sure do, quit being an idiot.
Read right below the video in this link and you'll see that even Pfadt states, that motor mounts increase throttle response as the motor is planted and not rocking under torque. Try again sir http://store.pfadtracing.com/engine-mounts/
Old 08-01-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Read right below the video in this link and you'll see that even Pfadt states, that motor mounts increase throttle response as the motor is planted and not rocking under torque.
You're wrong, and so is Pfadt.

Throttle response is the increase in engine speed and output over time versus throttle input. Throttle response has NOTHING TO DO WITH the mounting of the powertrain or driveline lash.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys,with my limited financial situation Im slowly trying to get my car to perform as it should.My mods are in my sig and while I have a slipping ls7 clutch preventing me from making any decent dyno numbers right now I still feel my motor is not as responsive as it can be..not sure if its tune related or mechanical.

My tuner suggested I get bigger intake pipe and filter since Im currently running a 3" cone filter going to a 3" pipe then to my 3"-4" 90* elbow connecting to my 85mm maf,then 4" coupler to my throttle body which is stock ls1 throttle body.He said that in the upper rpm range the motor was starving for air even with the ls6 intake.

Im getting a ported stock throttle body,4" pipe and 4' 90* elbow and bigger cone filter.Would this make any improvements? I doubt it will but I could be wrong.If I were to give a quick stab from idle,the motor hesitates a slightly..just enough to annoy me.If I hold the throttle above 1500 or so..it feels responsive.

If you don't need the ac take it off weight reduction and its 1 less thing that will be dragging on your motor
Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 AM
TECH Resident

You're wrong, and so is Pfadt.

Throttle response is the increase in engine speed and output over time versus throttle input. Throttle response has NOTHING TO DO WITH the mounting of the powertrain or driveline lash.
I don't think either of them mean actual throttle response of the motor, just the delay from hitting the gas until you feel the car respond to the power. Squishy mounts can definitely give that split second delay.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
I don't think either of them mean actual throttle response of the motor, just the delay from hitting the gas until you feel the car respond to the power. Squishy mounts can definitely give that split second delay.
I agree. But like I said, that's NOT throttle response, and that's NOT what the OP needs help with. If he had a mount issue, the problem would not disappear above 1500rpm as the OP states it does, it would be present at all times.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

I know my mounts are fine,I had an ls1 swap in this car before.It was a stock ls1 and that was more responsive than my current lq4 with more power.I also dont have ac on this car so thats not affecting anything.I reused everything from my ls1 swap when switching to my lq4.Response went down..power went up..enough for me to notice easily.

If I slowly bring the throttle up and then stab it there is no problem,but if its idling and i give a quick stab..it will semi stumble and then rev..its not a crisp snappy procedure like it should be.I was hoping since I got the stock ls1 tb on there with the small intake piping etc was just not enough flow or smooth transition.

I talked to the tuner and he is going to take the car for a street tune,I notice that when the car is cold..none of this happens and starting the car when hot in the summer heat its hunts idle for a second or 2...nearly stalls then idles at 800rpm.Thanks for the input though guys..any more specifics in the tune I should ask to be looked at,I dont know hptuners but thats what he is using.So far he agreed to the lean tip in would cause this.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt going to a larger cone filter plus pipe will resolve this. if its hesitating below 1500 rpm its deff not starving for air, at least not in that range. are you sure its not a defective sensor?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your tuner should be suggesting to actually look at
the damn thing, instead of having you do catalog
shopping and hope for the best. If you can't say
quantitatively what's accounting for poor throttle
response now, you have zero idea whether new
chrome plated whizbangs will help any.

Why you'd throw money at all this irrelevant stuff
and not get the tools to tune (and especially, scan)
it yourself, I can't fathom.

Quick Reply: Wanting to improve throttle response.