Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping Alternator Bearings Again .... GRRRRR

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Chirping Alternator Bearings Again .... GRRRRR

This will be my 5th alternator replacement since I've owned the TA and only once was it because it wasn't outputting high enough voltage. I also HATE this repair with a passion. I've never worked on a GM V8 where I had to remove the bracket to get the alternator out. And the control wire is too short, I'm guessing to save a fraction of a cent per car. I've since lengthened it for ease of replacement. Now that I'm done ranting ....

I'm thinking seriously about relocating the alternator. Does this change the length of the belt? These alternators have been under warranty since the 2nd one ... so theres no cost... just a lot of cussing on my part. Has anyone found some bearings that hold up better than the AZ alternator's? I have no problem opening it up and pressing in something that will last. One last thing, I wonder if the bearings wear out faster being at the bottom of the engine and prone to more moisture ....
Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im curious how you are going through so many of them.

Are you getting replacement fbody alternators or the truck version?

I have the truck version on my car and its gave be no problems at all.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've just been getting the stock LS replacement from Autozone. I just read 14 pages of this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ation-kit.html

I'm about to pull the plug on one of those from modular turbo/ CBR. Maybe AZ will let me upgrade to the truck model .... if that is an upgrade. Do you have the 145 amp?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you replacing these alternator's only because of a chirping noise from the pulley? or because they stop charging properly also?

If so I had a similar issue:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-problems.html
Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RBD_305
Are you replacing these alternator's only because of a chirping noise from the pulley? or because they stop charging properly also?

If so I had a similar issue:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-problems.html
Sorry my initial post was too lengthy. I said that 4 of 5 have been because of bearings but charging fine.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went through the exact same thing man. Trust me they're all crap I tried the autozone and advance ones. Refusing to buy new since I had a warranty. Eventually I broke down a bought a NEW Bosch unit and no more issues
Old 03-04-2014, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbird555
I went through the exact same thing man. Trust me they're all crap I tried the autozone and advance ones. Refusing to buy new since I had a warranty. Eventually I broke down a bought a NEW Bosch unit and no more issues
Gotcha .... I ordered the alternator relocation bracket and am about to pull the trigger on an AD244. Gonna do it all at once.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

I wonder if belt tension has anything to do with this, excessive tension can put a good load on those bearings. Or possibly some misalignment issue.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spy2520
I wonder if belt tension has anything to do with this, excessive tension can put a good load on those bearings. Or possibly some misalignment issue.
Looks like it's a belt alignment issue. I sprayed water on the ribbed side of the serpentine belt and it quieted right now. Now that I think of it, I didn't use the rear support of the alternator the last time that I replaced it. That could be it, because I've never replaced the power steering pump or any other component. Since I'm relocating the alternator anyhow, I'll see how the alignment looks then.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
Im curious how you are going through so many of them.

Are you getting replacement fbody alternators or the truck version?

I have the truck version on my car and its gave be no problems at all.
I believe so. It was a direct replacement and worked perfect. You would never know its not engineered for it. I replaced mine because it squeaked, my car sat for a long period of time untouched until I bought it.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well ... I'm not relocating the alternator. I pulled it today to relocate only to find that the EGR valve and associated tubing are in the way. Gonna swap it for another AZ special (one more time) on Wednesday since it's under warranty. The bearings are noisy. I'll be looking for an AD244 in the mean time.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I should add that my autozone experience included both the truck alt and the regular one for our cars. I just came to the conclusion they all used crap parts. Also to the belt tension thing, I think that can be a huge factor however I was always tightening my katech tensioner down just by feel. After a while I was wondering if i put too much tension on it...So I actually pulled out the tq wrench and went to the recommended 25 ft lbs.... It was much more tight than what I had been running it at, so I doubt that was playiing an issue with me. So far my new bosh truck unit has been great. I originally ordered 2 new acdelco's but they both cam in wth 2 warped shafts so I never used them.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I swapped out the alternator and the chirping continues. So I swapped both pulleys on the main drive - chirping continues. I tested with additional tension on the tensioner - chirps continue. If I spray water on the ribbed surface, chirps stop which tells me that it's an alignment issue. I even held a candle to each edge as it was running hoping to isolate it to the edge(s) of the belt being the culprit but the chirps continued.

It sounds like its coming from the tensioner pulley and the PS pump pulley. I noticed that the PS pulley is not flush on the shaft.

Can somone verify that the PS pulp should be flush to the shaft?
Old 03-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Same chirping sound on my '99 Firehawk. Replaced both belts, both idler pulleys, and both tensioners. SAME CHIRPING SOUND! WTF? Remaining 4 problem areas...alignment, alternator, power steering pump, or water pump.
Suspect alternator as read in posts but if 140 bucks don't fix problem and can't take it back...next guess? Have no problem with my '01 T/A with more miles yet. Thanks all and good luck.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like we're in the same boat except that I've isolated my issues to the main drive. I have also replaced the serpentine belt with a goodyear gatorback. It's funny (not really) ... but everytime I replace something, it get's worse. Now the damn thing is screaming like a Banshee. I had to resist the temptation to put belt dressing on it before leaving for work. If I did that ... it would sound like a sticky screaming banshee LOL.

My next step - because I can't just settle for this - is the remove the belt, and clean and grease the back plate of the idler pulley, and clean and grease the tensioner pulley as well.

red70judge, could you look at your `01 TA and see if the power steering pump pulley is pressed flush on the shaft? Maybe even compare the difference between where the shaft sits in it vs. your `99 firehawk. I'd be curious about that.

Also, the replacement idler puller isn't as deep on the front so I wasn't able to use the factory dust cover. Is this just the nature of the aftermarket part?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I replaced the tensioner pulley for the main drive and the sound got worse. I removed the main drive belt and low and behold - the AC belt was chirping too. It's so bad that it's actually quite embarrassing to drive. My next step is to replace the main drive belt even though I have a new gatorback on it.

I also put a straight edge on the PS pulley to crank and tensioner to crank and didn't see any alignment issues.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

might be a dumb observation/question but...... Do you run through those touchless car washes?? That under frame water spray will F up an alternator quick like. Water and bearings don't mix.

Just a thought... I know 80% of us hand wash
Old 03-20-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
might be a dumb observation/question but...... Do you run through those touchless car washes?? That under frame water spray will F up an alternator quick like. Water and bearings don't mix.

Just a thought... I know 80% of us hand wash
Hell no!!

My issues were resolved. I replaced the alternator, but couldn't stop the chirping until I sanded the water pump pulley smooth, wirebrushed the PS pulley and cleaned the crank pulleys by running the engine and carefully inserting a screwdriver into each groove.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 AM
Teching In

OK...TA Freak...checked the PS pump pulley on both my '99 Hawk and the '01 WS-6...both are mounted the same distance back from the shaft front end which I'd say approx. 1/4 inch. Another follow-up is yes installing the aftermarket idler had to shed the factory dust cover. Sounds like I need an alternator and possibly wire brushing the pulleys. Also, started to notice the
'01 had a squeal at 2000 rpm, not under and not over, so another EFFIN problem. No mods to either car and both low miles (21k-23k).
Have had 8 of these 98-02 LS-1's with only these 2 left. Know all the common problems...headlamp motors, driver's side window motor, both side door panel cracks approx. 8 inches from back of door, rear pinion seal leak, electric antenna stopping, radiator low level sensor on 98-99's, etc. Both of these are stock but I guess age is showing and making sounds. Thanks all for your help.
Hopefully the alternator will quiet the chirping sound.

1999 Firehawk T-top 6M original
2001 T/A Convert WS-6 6M original
Old 03-21-2014, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Blownbayou...good observation about drive through car washes and spraying up to the alternator causing bearing wear...I hand wash mine but still a good cause...another could be driving a lot in rain...Mine are in sunny and dry NV and no rain driving.

Quick Reply: Chirping Alternator Bearings Again .... GRRRRR