Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Reccomendation for LS1 powered Cobra.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Cam Reccomendation for LS1 powered Cobra.

Hi Guys,
I'm building an LS1 powered Cobra and looking at warming the stock motor up a bit.

I've been reading all the cam posts on here and I'm getting a bit confused as to what cam would work well in my Cobra.

I'm running an internally stock LS1 and 6 speed. I've built my own 1 7/8" long tube headers running into 3 1/2" collectors and there's no EGR. I've ported the stock throttle body and I'm currently building the cold air intake. I'll be running MAFless with the ECU tuned via LS1 Edit.

The car will weigh about 2300 pounds. I'm using a light weight 15 pound steel flywheel and spec stage 3 clutch. The rear gears are 3.9 and the rear tyres are 315/35/17

I'm not running any AC or Power steering.

At this stage I'm just looking at changing Cam and springs but I'm planning on machining up an 8 throttle body manifold in the future and maybe porting the heads.

The car is going to see mostly street use with occasional trips to the drags and the circuit. A lumpy idle is OK since it's a Cobra and it's supposed to be a bit lumpy.

I'd like a cam that doesn't need piston mods to clear the valves and springs that will fit on the stock heads.

Some of the 226/232 and 231/237 grinds sound appealing.

What cam and springs would you guys reccomend?

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-02-2004, 01:39 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that, my friend is ****** pimp

traction is going to be your biggest issue, i'd keep the cam relatively small since you already will have a great power to weight ratio. a tr224 112 or tsp 225 112 should fit your needs fine.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, i thought he meant a mushtang cobra
Old 08-02-2004, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Jerami,

I think the words Traction and Cobra are mutually exclusive.

A friend of mine has an LS1 in his Cobra as well but he's got a procharger and intercooler on his. The last dyno day he made 552RWHP and now it's back in for a bit more tuning

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-02-2004, 01:49 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

you have any more pics of the car/setup? those headers look badass, are they completely stainless steel?
Old 08-02-2004, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp
you have any more pics of the car/setup? those headers look badass, are they completely stainless steel?
The headers and side pipes are just mild steel and I plan to get the whole lot HPC coated. The side pipes are re packable have Cat converters in them to meet Aussie emissions laws.

There are a bunch of pics of the build to date in my gallery on Club Cobra: Mikes Gallery

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-02-2004, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW... goodluck on the finish... I suggest the TR224 cam as well! good street.strip cam!!! AWSOME RIDE!
Old 08-02-2004, 02:11 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

what year motor is that 99 or 00?
Old 08-02-2004, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp

what year motor is that 99 or 00?
I believe it's a 99. Is that Good/Bad? Are there any important differences?

I thought the head castings with the center bolt rocker covers were pretty much the same as the newer motor.

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-02-2004, 02:24 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by LS1 Cobra
I believe it's a 99. Is that Good/Bad? Are there any important differences?

I thought the head castings with the center bolt rocker covers were pretty much the same as the newer motor.

Cheers

Mike
theres nothing wrong with a 99 motor, its just not as good as a 01-02. check the "ls1info" link in my sig.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp
theres nothing wrong with a 99 motor, its just not as good as a 01-02. check the "ls1info" link in my sig.
I've been having a read of you're links, Very interesting.

The main differences to the engine itself seem to be the LS-6 intake manifold, bigger injectors, metal head gaskets and the possibility of an LS-6 block.

I can at least rule out the manifold down the track if I build the 8 TB set up. Gaskets will be replaced If I port the heads that just leaves the LS1 block. I can live with that

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-02-2004, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

WOW just WOW.

A 224/228 or 225/225 cam would keep you smog leagle and the cats will help.

Damn man i would love to do a cam and spring and head swap on that car. **** the hole think is right out in the open.

Good luck on the project keep us posted on what u are doing that thing is PIMP
Old 08-02-2004, 02:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by goober35
WOW just WOW.

A 224/228 or 225/225 cam would keep you smog leagle and the cats will help.

Damn man i would love to do a cam and spring and head swap on that car. **** the hole think is right out in the open.

Good luck on the project keep us posted on what u are doing that thing is PIMP
I'm from down in Australia and I assume "Pimp" means good?

I'm surprised how easy it is to work on the motor even with the body on. I can completely remove and replace the headers and side pipes in about 30 minutes. I can easily get at all the plugs to change them without having to un bolt anything. I can pull the heads without taking the motor out. I can probably change the cam without even removing the radiator.

I've worked on a few cobras and it's usually a case of having some band aids ready for the skinned knuckels but this thing is a pleasure to work on.

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-02-2004, 02:45 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

I've been having a read of you're links, Very interesting.

The main differences to the engine itself seem to be the LS-6 intake manifold, bigger injectors, metal head gaskets and the possibility of an LS-6 block.

I can at least rule out the manifold down the track if I build the 8 TB set up. Gaskets will be replaced If I port the heads that just leaves the LS1 block. I can live with that

Cheers

Mike
the 01+ got the better 241 casting heads and upgraded rod bolts. stock for stock the 241's are good for 5-7cfm over the 806 (97-98) and 853 (99-00) heads. once ported though the heads are pretty much on a level playing field. but when it comes down to it an ls1 is an ls1 is an ls1
Old 08-02-2004, 02:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp
the 01+ got the better 241 casting heads and upgraded rod bolts. stock for stock the 241's are good for 5-7cfm over the 806 (97-98) and 853 (99-00) heads. once ported though the heads are pretty much on a level playing field. but when it comes down to it an ls1 is an ls1 is an ls1
That's good to know, Thanks.

Mine has the 853 heads. I was checking out the casting numbers a while back.

Are the stock rod bolts OK? is there a limit where I should look at changing them?

My friends 552RWHP monster is still on a stock bottom end. He's getting a set of billett rods and some forged pistons in next winters upgrade.

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-02-2004, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes pimp means Cool or badass. Look at all the room. Damn.
Try working on an F-body. You need gloves to not but the F out of you knuckels.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:01 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

That's good to know, Thanks.

Mine has the 853 heads. I was checking out the casting numbers a while back.

Are the stock rod bolts OK? is there a limit where I should look at changing them?

My friends 552RWHP monster is still on a stock bottom end. He's getting a set of billett rods and some forged pistons in next winters upgrade.

Cheers

Mike
if you plan to spin consistantly @ 6500+ it would be avisable to swap in some ARP rod bolts. the stock rods bolts are one of the few weakness on the bottom end.

how much boost is your friend running and how much rwhp are you looking to put down?

im in the process of building my own forged h/c 347
Old 08-02-2004, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

The blown LS1 Cobra is making the HP fairly easily with only 7 PSI of boost. It's making peak power at about 6,200RPM.

Currently the heaviest hitter in our Cobra club is a twin turbo SB Ford that's reportedly making just over 600HP at the rear wheels. We'll have to turn the wick up on the blower to stay in front.

At our recent dyno day the best N/A Ford powered Cobra was making a little over 300 RWHP and I'd like to comprehensively obliterate that with my N/A LS1 powered Cobra. From looking at the dyno figures people have been quoting I think I should be able to get 370+ HP at the rear wheels with the cam and springs combined with my headers and air intake. I figure later when I've built the 8 TB setup that might get up around 400 RWHP. Maybe even more with a bit of head work.

I may be picking up a spare rebuilder LS1 that I can have a bit of a play with too.

What sort of numbers are you expecting to make with your forged H/C 347?

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-02-2004, 06:17 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

cam only your setup should own that n/a ford cobra, with a h/c ls1 its not even any competition

for my own setup im optimistic about 440rwhp 400+rwtq.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Teching In

The blown LS1 Cobra is making the HP fairly easily with only 7 PSI of boost. It's making peak power at about 6,200RPM.

Currently the heaviest hitter in our Cobra club is a twin turbo SB Ford that's reportedly making just over 600HP at the rear wheels. We'll have to turn the wick up on the blower to stay in front.

At our recent dyno day the best N/A Ford powered Cobra was making a little over 300 RWHP and I'd like to comprehensively obliterate that with my N/A LS1 powered Cobra. From looking at the dyno figures people have been quoting I think I should be able to get 370+ HP at the rear wheels with the cam and springs combined with my headers and air intake. I figure later when I've built the 8 TB setup that might get up around 400 RWHP. Maybe even more with a bit of head work.

I may be picking up a spare rebuilder LS1 that I can have a bit of a play with too.

What sort of numbers are you expecting to make with your forged H/C 347?

Cheers

Mike
hey,

what are #'s are you looking for? where do you want the power? low to mid, mid to high, just top end, etc. i say hold off on cam since you want to do this 8 TB idea, it seems to be a kick *** idea!!! however a proper cam would with out a doubt help you out in the long run. if your worried about emissions though i am not entirely sure you would pass with that extreme of a setup. you did say the headers have cats built into them correct??

i say find your power goals and then these guys can help you out. screw the sound of the cam.... frankly i think your car is going to be loud enough!

basically 500 horses could be made on a a stock block, ported heads with upgraded valves, and a few other things (cam,intake selection,fuel to back it up, etc) to accomadate the power. egh all in all.....whats in your wallet?

erik

Quick Reply: Cam Reccomendation for LS1 powered Cobra.