Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust band clamp leaks

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Exhaust band clamp leaks

How can I get rid of the leaks in my exhaust clamps? Any tighter and I risk rounding or stripping the bolts. I have tried using Aluminum HVAC tape twice and That just made it worse. Should I use some sort of exhaust epoxy? Header wrap? What to do? My car sounds like the joe dirt mobile.

Thanks,
-Tony
Old 08-30-2004, 10:41 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

In my experiance, band clamps always leak, unless the pipe is offset cut (meaning the cuts that allow the pipe to flex/squeeze at the connection are cut like teeth that fit into each other). Not sure if that makes any sense, but I beleive this is how the stock I-pipe is cut to fit the Y-pipe, and I know for a fact that the SLP catbacks are also cut like this at the I to Y pipe connection.

Other than that, crimping clamps or welding have been the only way I've found to stop leaks for straight pipe fittings. This is why I like ball flanges for the header-to-Y-pipe bond, sure they might not flow as well and cost you some minor hp, but personally I wasn't looking to build a race car so that didn't bother me
Old 08-30-2004, 11:19 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Try these out....

http://www.pi-thon.com
Old 08-30-2004, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Try these out....

$100 for one band clamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It would cost $300 to seal your y-pipe.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search for exhaust clamps. There's been a few discussions about them. Dynomax/Walker makes a line of nice stainless clamps that are lapped to accept a slip fit connection. Like under $10 a clamp.

Dope
Old 08-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/204776-ever-wanted-see-pi-thon-firelock.html

Another vote for the Pi-thon...yes, they are expensive, but damn do they look purty
Old 08-30-2004, 12:10 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Actually for the cost, take it down to a muffler shop and have them weld the joints. Nice and leak - free at that point. Kind of sucks if you want to change the exhaust from time to time, but if you are happy with your setup, its the most cost effective way.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

The only thing that kept me from having mine welded was the fact that I had to drop the exhaust to do my clutch swap...needless to say, I'll never be welding my exhaust up (and hence using the Pi-thons). Methinks this clutch won't last long either
Old 08-30-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Like it was said, I need to drop my exhaust fairly regularly.
Also, I have searched, and there's not much info other than the aluminum tape fix.
I already have lapped (slip fit) band clamps for the connections to the headers, but I also have a 2.5" butt joint on the d/s so I can wedge a cat in before the x pipe. Both styles of band clamp leak.
I welded up my exhaust to begin with, but theres no way Im going to weld it right up to the headers.

Should I try and squeeze some high temp / exhaust epoxy inside the clamp so it squooshes out when its tightened?
Old 08-30-2004, 12:50 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Try these out....

Not trying to hijack the thread but, you have a very nice looking TA. I really like those wheels.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Not trying to hijack the thread

No problem at all
Old 08-30-2004, 01:02 PM
STF Veteran

Oh, by the way my band clamps leak like a bitch. I have torqued mine down with a heavy duty impact wrench.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Band clamps, for the most part, leak. There really isn't anything you can do about it. Personally, I would either do a two bolt ball flange, or something like the pi-thons. Other than that, and I would say you are just going to have to keep trying temporary fixes for a permanent problem. The pi-thons can be purchased to fit slip fit connections as well...

I took and impact wrench to my band clamps, and only 1 out of the three sealed. The other two leak, and it is very annoying.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:01 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Not trying to hijack the thread but, you have a very nice looking TA. I really like those wheels.
No problem.... I appreciate the comments... I love the wheels. I was getting bored with my car after owning it for four years now, but after putting the wheels on, there are nights where I hang out in the garage, have a few beers and just admire the car while cleaning it.

I've gotten so many compliments from people who aren't even 'car people'.

As for the clamps, I found one at Jegs that should work with the slipfit connection.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...16&prmenbr=361

I ordered one since my ypipe / intermediate pipe is leaking. I figured it was a cheaper alternative to the pi-thon.

We'll see what happens.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I already have the Dynomax Slip Fit band clamps manufactured by Walker, purchased from summit. They leak. I am using these on my header collectors. The butt joint band clamp from a local napa also leaks. I have black soot being washed out by the leaking condensation, so I know theyre leaking. The aluminum tape didnt work because the stickyness burned off. I guess ill just have to cruise around sounding like the white-trashmobile.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:36 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I know they make an epoxy type stuff that you can apply that will harden as its heated that will help seal the connection. I'm sure you can find some of it at the local car store. That might be what your needing.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

The only other thing I've heard of doing is using a couple wraps of header wrap...it sucks, but band clamps pretty much all have problems, and it is usually related to the slip fit itself, not the clamps. When I get my new exhaust fabbed up, I'll be steering far clear of band clamps.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

The best luck i've had with band clamps is to wrap the pipe twice with header wrap then apply the band clamp.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used high temp RTV on mine and they haven't leaked since they were put on last summer. I welded up everything except for the connections to the headers, above the axle, and the rear connection on the I pipe which I also used RTV. This way I can get the exhaust off.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

My clamps don't leak. You can find some heavy duty ones out there. I bought one, and you could really tell the difference in quality. Plus it was stainless. The magic of carbon buildup should fill in the gaps eventually...

Quick Reply: Exhaust band clamp leaks