Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big cam tuning help.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big cam tuning help.....

Hey guys, just looking for a little direction here. I have an 02 WS6, and installed a T-Rex cam in her a few months back. Got it dyno tuned right away, and was happy with it. Only a slight bucking at 75mph at part throttle. WOT was perfect. Installed a ported TB, Maf ends, pulley, and true dual exhaust. The car just progressivly ran worse and worse. Got it retuned, but didnt seem to help much. Car is bucking more and more, at different mph's, but only at part throttle, once again, WOT is fine.

Does this sound like a tuning issue? Just replaced the plugs and wires, and my tuner is thinking it might be a bad coil pack.

Any ideas guys?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bad coil pack, haha, thats funny. wellcome to the life of having a racing cam dude, mine has always done it a lil at part throttle and mine was tuned by the people who made the cam. my wot tune is bad *** but it takes a loooooooooong time to tune the part throttle crap on that cam to make it run really good, i have learned to ignore it, just gives me more reason to go wot more often
Old 10-28-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, i dealt with it when I first had it tuned. I was expecting a lil compromise on the drivability. Just that I know how it was, and now, its quite a bit worse. I dont know the first lick about tuning, and I am just looking for some info to bring to my tuner, so he can start going in the right direction.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

i have like 30*of timing and my a/f is 13.3 across the board, we did mess with the v/e tables few times.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS666
Hey guys, just looking for a little direction here. I have an 02 WS6, and installed a T-Rex cam in her a few months back. Got it dyno tuned right away, and was happy with it. Only a slight bucking at 75mph at part throttle. WOT was perfect. Installed a ported TB, Maf ends, pulley, and true dual exhaust. The car just progressivly ran worse and worse. Got it retuned, but didnt seem to help much. Car is bucking more and more, at different mph's, but only at part throttle, once again, WOT is fine.

Does this sound like a tuning issue? Just replaced the plugs and wires, and my tuner is thinking it might be a bad coil pack.

Any ideas guys?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I suggest you get rid of the MAF ends - you need properly metered air.

Improperly Ported TBs often cause idle and "just off idle" air control problems. Hopefully you have a Shaner, LPE or other quality piece - not trying to flame anyone...just stating the facts.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
a bad coil pack, haha, thats funny. wellcome to the life of having a racing cam dude, mine has always done it a lil at part throttle and mine was tuned by the people who made the cam. my wot tune is bad *** but it takes a loooooooooong time to tune the part throttle crap on that cam to make it run really good, i have learned to ignore it, just gives me more reason to go wot more often
I agree - but, it can be tuned part throttle. A monster...but it can be tamed.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

your front o2's could be going bad. I would get it scanned and see how responsive they are. Most likely o2 related codes have been turned off by the tuner so the check engine light won't be on.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bink
A monster...but it can be tamed.
yep with slicks. the only way to get the power under control
Old 10-28-2004, 10:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the MAF ends back off, put some descreened
junker ends if you must. Shouldn't make so many
simultaneous changes, especially mixture-bending
ones, withoug having a chance to get their tuning
straight.

You probably will have a very high idle MAP and
some really funny cold idle behavior. That cam is
going to cut your low end VE quite a bit and up
to 2500RPM or so. Leaning out the low temperature
part of the open loop fuel air table should help a lot
with cold driving misbehavior while the VE table
has to be tuned for warmed-up.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies guys! My tuner already swapped the MAF ends out for stockers, and he said it helped a lil bit, but still having issues. As for the TB, it is a Jantzer.

I appreciate the help.