Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAT Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 06:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAT Sensor

I have installed a LS6 into a Cobra replica. I am using the stock PCM and wiring loom.

The only wires I can't find a home for, are for the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor. Do I need to run one, and what effect does it have on the engine. Can I just by-pass it?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:14 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are using a stock PCM, you WILL need an IAT sensor...it is an important part of the calculations for airflow.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Default IAT Sensor

I have been told it is possible to bypass the sensor using a resistor. I know someone who has run his engine without it, so it would be really useful to try and understand what it is doing exactly.

Does anyone know where I can buy the sensor from?
Old 09-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

GM should have one...I personally use an 85mm truck MAF that has an imbedded IAT sensor. What you might also look at is SLPs timing tricker...that is the resistor/IAT thing you are hearing about.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PaulFLS6
I have installed a LS6 into a Cobra replica. I am using the stock PCM and wiring loom.

The only wires I can't find a home for, are for the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor. Do I need to run one, and what effect does it have on the engine. Can I just by-pass it?
I thought the LS6 had the IAT sensor in the MAF? Are you running a seperate temp sensor? It should all hook up in the harness I thought....
Old 09-21-2005, 03:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LS6 has a 5-wire MAF connector and two of those are the
in-throat IAT sensor. "Z06" MAF or truck MAF and you
are good to go.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

I should have said I am using a mechanical throttle (LS1) on my LS6. I think this may be why I can't find a home for the IAT sensor. What do you think?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:22 AM
Staging Lane

I think I am going to fit an IAT sensor in the air intake tube. Does anyone have a good source for GM parts, as I will need to get it shipped to the UK, and I don't think this is a part that I can source over here.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://installuniversity.com/install...sity/index.htm

My Camaro was running like garbage, it was braking up (spark knock). I scanned it no codes, just for fun I unplugged the IAT it started to run smoother. I drove it for 3 days like that it ran alot better, Then I got a check engine light. I put a resister on and cleared the code. What I dont understand is when you put the resister is it adds timing, but for some reason if pretty much eliminated my spark knock!? I know it wasnt bad gas cuz Ive been running 93 with octane boost.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by stevemilz
http://installuniversity.com/install...sity/index.htm

My Camaro was running like garbage, it was braking up (spark knock). I scanned it no codes, just for fun I unplugged the IAT it started to run smoother. I drove it for 3 days like that it ran alot better, Then I got a check engine light. I put a resister on and cleared the code. What I dont understand is when you put the resister is it adds timing, but for some reason if pretty much eliminated my spark knock!? I know it wasnt bad gas cuz Ive been running 93 with octane boost.
A bad IAT will pull timing, but putting the resistor in will NOT add timing...it just won't pull any from the existing tables.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulFLS6
I think I am going to fit an IAT sensor in the air intake tube. Does anyone have a good source for GM parts, as I will need to get it shipped to the UK, and I don't think this is a part that I can source over here.
Did you look at the MAF and the MAF harness yet? 3 pins or 5?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

No I haven't had a chance . I'll try and investigate further over the weekend. At the moment I am thinking that the resistor will be the simplest solution.

Quick Reply: IAT Sensor