Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Yet another head gasket issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another head gasket issue

Okay guys, I have read up on some of the head gasket posts, but would like your opinions, please. I have TEA 5.7 stage 1.5 o-ringed heads with the 73cc chambers, ARP studs, and Fel-Pro graphite gaskets. I am making around 650 at around 10psi. Over the weekend I took my b-in-law for a joy ride and I guess I blew a gasket without knowing it. Last night took the car out and the Check Gauges light came on. My temp gauge was pegged. I have a ScanGauge and it showed coolant temp as 258*.
The plan is to take it apart, make sure the heads are true and put it back together after machining the heads if necessary. Now, should I remove the o-rings and go with GM MLS gaskets, or leave the o-rings, go back with the Fel-Pros and just torque the heads a little tighter, or what? If I pull the o-rings, will the grooves present a problem? Also, is it possible the block warped too? (LS6 block). Please give any details as to torque specs, sealing agents, or anything else that will help keep this from happening again. Since the new motor and s/c went in, the shop has had my car 3 times as long as me.

Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2005, 08:11 AM
Coal Mining Director

First thing is to check the indention made by the orings into the steel firing ring in the head gasket. If it's not centered or is off the steel ring, there's your problem. You may want to try the oem graphite gasket (early non MLS steel layered) and see if the firing ring in it matches your orings better than felpro. I wouldn't try removing the rings and using a MLS gasket...I'd do new heads first with the MLS. Your block is probably ok unless you beat on it at 250.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by onfire
First thing is to check the indention made by the orings into the steel firing ring in the head gasket. If it's not centered or is off the steel ring, there's your problem. You may want to try the oem graphite gasket (early non MLS steel layered) and see if the firing ring in it matches your orings better than felpro. I wouldn't try removing the rings and using a MLS gasket...I'd do new heads first with the MLS. Your block is probably ok unless you beat on it at 250.
No, once I new I had a problem, I grannied it. I don't think I got on it at all in the brief time I drove it. Maybe got up to about 3000 or 3500 getting on the highway, but it wasn't punched. I think it was trying to hydrolock in my garage, though. It acted like the battery was real low, would only turn a little, then stop. Did this about 6 or 7 times, then it acted normal and fired right off. Guess I squeeze the coolant by the rings. I checked the oil when I got it to a convenience store and was able to put water back in it. Oil looked okay, a little dirty, but not milky or obvious water.

I asked my engine builder about the o-ring mating to the fire ring and he said it was good. He also new it was for FI and gapped the rings a little wider, which may have allowed the coolant to squeeze by the rings.

At what temp will the heads warp? When I was breaking it in , it hit 250, or so a couple of times stuck in traffic (had ATI fan wired backwards). Might have warped the heads a little then, but it has been down the track WOT 15, or so, times with no noticeable issues. Just since this weekend's joy riding w/my b-in-law.

Last edited by 1bad2k2ta; 11-29-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after you replace the gaskets, try to find out why you blew a head gasket, was there detonation?, id get a wideband on it checking the AFR and log it to see if theres any knock.
it sounds like your tune should be tweaked some
Old 11-29-2005, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alot of time's you can blow gaskets with too much timing/low octain fuel. This ussually will not show KR. More than likely you had the car tuned in hot weather.Now that the air is alot better the tune is way off.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
after you replace the gaskets, try to find out why you blew a head gasket, was there detonation?, id get a wideband on it checking the AFR and log it to see if theres any knock.
it sounds like your tune should be tweaked some
I just got it back from my tuner last week. A/F is about 11.8 and very flat. He is very conservative on my tunes. This time around, he replaced the Crane 1.8 rockers with the stockers, removed my valve cover spacers, added a check valve in the LS6 style PCV, and bumped the fuel pressure down about 6ps. I have 3.42 gears and at 70 it tachs about 1700. Fuel pressure was at about 51 psi.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Coal Mining Director

You really won't know how well the o-ring mated to the firing ring until you pull the heads and check indentation. You might want to try the new rubber coated copper gaskets. No worries about a fire ring mate. Brains is using them....pm him.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:55 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing is they usually deck the block when you are haveing one build so I think you are good on the block side if that is the case. The heads are a different story you won't really know until you pull them and check them. Like you said you didn't run it like that very long so chances are you are ok. I don't know what you TQ the heads down the last time, but I did mine at 75. I don't have O-rings just MLS gaskets so I can't tell you if it is any better or not. Good luck!
Jeff
Old 11-29-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Another thing is they usually deck the block when you are haveing one build so I think you are good on the block side if that is the case. The heads are a different story you won't really know until you pull them and check them. Like you said you didn't run it like that very long so chances are you are ok. I don't know what you TQ the heads down the last time, but I did mine at 75. I don't have O-rings just MLS gaskets so I can't tell you if it is any better or not. Good luck!
Jeff
Thanks, Jeff. Yes, the block was squared and I believe the heads were torqued to 70 lb/ft. I think that is ARP's recommendation. I think I will go to 75 like you said, and do a better job of staying away from the rev limiter. I have hit it several times in 1st and 2nd gear, including Saturday night.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:16 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

ARP says 65. I have done a little testing and I found that for FI it is a little low JMO! I know of a few others that said they were doing 80, but I haven't had any real head issues so I have sayed with what worked for me etc...You will figuer it out just spend that extra time and clean the sealing surfaces real good. What Onfire said about the silicone coated copper gaskets is true. Brains and Zangel have had good luck with them you might drop him a PM and see if they are compatible with your O-ringed heads. Chances are good I would believe.
Jeff
Old 11-29-2005, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

LOL Hey Jeff. This guy here is local. And I told him the 75 trick also Hope all is well.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:17 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Sux, you have a recurring problem and it makes you second guess whether the problem is the head gaskets, uneven deck surface, uneven head surface, a fuel system issue, or a tune issue.

Only thing I would do is check it all and richen up your tune. Some dynos are off by .5 in AF, even more, so you might be more lean than you think but that's just one of about 6 possibilities.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:34 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

LOL Hey Jeff. This guy here is local. And I told him the 75 trick also Hope all is well
Well JM I told you my procedure it could be stupid or what not to others, but I am not having any head issues etc... So maybe it will help him?
Sux, you have a recurring problem and it makes you second guess whether the problem is the head gaskets, uneven deck surface, uneven head surface, a fuel system issue, or a tune issue.

Only thing I would do is check it all and richen up your tune. Some dynos are off by .5 in AF, even more, so you might be more lean than you think but that's just one of about 6 possibilities.
This is all very true. It is hard to tell sometimes. I think PSJ has offered a good piece of advice for the tunning side that could help also. And yes most dynos are off that much, but some of the new Dynojets software has calculated for some of that according to one of there reps. It is best to have a Wide band O2 in the car to back up for what you are tunning for on the dyno.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John

Thanks, John, but it isn't a recurring problem, at least not yet . This is the first time I have blown a head gasket. Just haven't got all the kinks out of my setup and it has been 5 months, just one thing after another, getting old and wearing me and my bank account down. When the heads come off, the deck and heads will be checked. I have a Bosche 420lph external pump, 65 lb/hr Mototrons, and my tuner is a very meticulous guy. I am thinking the whole thing was my fault for not watching the tach and letting the thing bang the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd causing a lean condition.

I met you at the track a few weeks ago after the races. I sent you a PM but never got a reply. I would still like your opinion on that matter as well.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2005, 07:15 AM
10 Second Club

You don't mention other problems except the gauge reading high. Does it mis-fire? Was it low on coolant? Was the fan on? Have you block tested it and pressure tested it to see if it has another leak maybe? Just want to make sure the heads are definitely ruled as the problem. I would hate to see you pull the heads and they weren't the problem.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Monday evening when I tried to fire it in the garage, it acted like the battery was dead, only all my gauges and lights worked. It wouldn't turn over until after the 6th or 7th attempt. In hindsight, this tells me there was coolant in at least one cylinder. Once the coolant was pushed back throught the gasket, it turned over, and fired right up. It idled a little rough, but it had not warmed up. It was cool so I didn't think anything about it steaming out the exhaust at first, but it never stopped until there was almost no coolant left. Once I put water in the radiator, it started steaming again and you could occasionally catch a whif of coolant. I have no doubt it is a head gasket.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

Saying hello to the rev limiter a couple times shouldn't pop o-ringed head gaskets IMO, it takes some good detonation or poor sealing surfaces to do this. Pull the heads and see how things look. My guess is you'll see things weren't mating well or signs of detonation.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Well you might want to research if fuel is cutoff when you hit the rev limiter, you might have gone lean from that. I will respond to you PM today.

Quick Reply: Yet another head gasket issue