Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toshiba laptop and EFI Live flashscan

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Toshiba laptop and EFI Live flashscan

I can't make a connection to my PCM with my Toshiba laptop. 'Can't load bootloader' is the error message.

Paul from EFILive responded with things to check. Wait4me helped too with suggestions.

The problem appears to be my Toshiba laptop as both Paul and Wait4me suggested. The Toshiba is a Satelite A45 130 model, just one year old. It has 4 USB 2.0 ports. I also have a USB pcm card. I tried to make a connection to read the PCM using each of the four ports as well as both ports on the PCM card. With each connection and test, the reply was that the bootloader wouldn't install.

As a final test I installed v7 on one of my stand-alone pcs, set it up along side the car, hooked up the cable and made a read the first time.

So folks, its looks like it's either the Toshiba hardware or bad drivers.

Anyone have a similar circumstance with a Toshiba and what the fix is?

The Toshiba is still on warranty, but not sure if I will get a response or a fix if I explain I am trying to connect to a car pcm. Everything else USB works on the laptop...even external hardrives. Since apparently everything else works, I don't think they will honor the warranty with a fix if there is one.

Any thoughts anyone? I essentially have a laptop that I can't use to tune with.

BTW, the USB ports work with the scanning tool and I am able to flash the pcm with LSEdit...however that is through the serial cable hooked into the USB port on the Toshiba.

So what is it about the flash scan cable that won't work? Yet the LSEDit cable through the same USB port will read or write to the PCM.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is being used by your comm ports?
Old 12-03-2005, 07:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check that in your boot options menu, there
is no "boot from USB device" enabled. I ran
across this while reinstalling XP to the GF's
laptop last week, apparently newer OSes
are able to (try to) boot from USB drives
etc. and maybe the FlashScan cable looks
enough like one of these, to get tried.

You'd have to press some F-key or other
during boot like it says momentarily on the
screen.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:06 PM
FormerVendor

my toshiba m45-s359 ocnnects and reads fine. Have you tried a fresh install (Windoze)
Old 12-03-2005, 10:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is a satelite L15/S104 and it works fine. What version of Windows are you using? I heard that XP home edition was a problem, so I loaded proffesional on mine. Never had any issues.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check you are running the latest toshiba firmware and all windows patches etc.
Are you running XP SP2?
You can also see if there is some newer usb drivers for your usb chipset.
It looks like others are fine, Id patch myself right up and try again.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

do you have any hotsysnc software??
a palm???
an Ipod
anything that uses software that starts up when the pc starts and accesses it through the USB..or is cabable of accesing through the usb if its hooked up that way?
Old 12-04-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Toshiba Laptop

To answer some questions.
I have reinstalled EFI live with latest software.
I have XP home with SP2.
I am using the correct cable...I have LSEdit, EFIlive 6 and Flashscan V7.
Each has its own cable.
I don't have any external devices hooked to the laptop.
WIFI is turned off.
The laptop is booting from the harddrive. If doesn't not have USB boot capability.
I haven't been able to find any patches or firmware from my laptop on the Toshiba site and have downloaded all of those when prompted by Toshiba.

Now the for unexplained.
As I stated in previous post I hooked up a standalone pc (XP Prof on it) and was able to make several reads.

Out of curiosity I hooked up my laptop after making several successful reads with the workstation. Bingo, I was able to make a successful read (but never had been able to in the past with the laptop (I had made at least 30 attempts)).

As a further test, I tried to read from two other USB ports on the laptop(it has 4...all 2.0). One was successful, the other hung at 50 seconds.

Can someone explain why I couldn't make any reads with at least 30 attempts, but was succesful on the first attempt, but only after I had made successful reads with a stand-alone workstation. What happened to the pcm from the workstation....is there some unknow bug where there must be at least one successful read sometimes?

I tried again this morning after flashing an LSEDit file to the pcm. As soon as it completed, I started the car, test drove it and returned. Hooked the laptop to it and was able to make a successful read, and repeated the reads least 3 times this am...but don't dare to use the one port, which failed before.

Since we know that three of the four ports are now making good connections without error, what are my chances of attempting to flash with EFI live rather than LSEDit (however with any explantion why)? And what happens if I lose the connection at midway?

The only difference in conditions is the temp was much lower in the garage, and I pulled the ebrake one click to kill the headlights while making the read.

I will upgrade to XP pro from XP home (a google search stated USB driver can get corrupted with upgrades).

Paul from EFIlive suggested I reinstall the USB drivers again. I did, but after I was able to make successful reads. Didn't read his post to me until after I had made a successful read with both the workstation and laptop.

Quick Reply: Toshiba laptop and EFI Live flashscan