Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts

Has anyone used the stage 8 locking header bolts? I know they don't work well on some cars, and end up spinning freely. I'm putting on some pacesetter LT's and don't want to keep tightening my header bolts. How well do they work with pacesetters? What about the Broselin(sp) split locks?
Old 02-03-2006, 05:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

LOL.... I had those on my WS6. Funny part was, I never bothered to put the locks on, just used the bolts. Even without the locks, they never came loose in the 3 years I had them on the car. I was using Bassani headers.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

LOL.....anyone else use any kind of locking header bolts?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:34 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do. I am very lucky I did as well cause I cross threaded one in the new heads that I got. The bolts never broke off as I backed it out; I cranked on that basterd really hard to get it out as well...never broke off

But other than my stupidity, I like them.

The clips are a major pain in the *** to get off as well, so be prepared to bend a few as you pry them off. I am just using the bolts as well now...
Old 02-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Banned

I just installed them...Didn't bother with the locks either, as C clips **** me off...So far, after a week, they are still tight...
Old 02-03-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lithium
I do. I am very lucky I did as well cause I cross threaded one in the new heads that I got. The bolts never broke off as I backed it out; I cranked on that basterd really hard to get it out as well...never broke off

But other than my stupidity, I like them.

The clips are a major pain in the *** to get off as well, so be prepared to bend a few as you pry them off. I am just using the bolts as well now...

You didn't mention that cross threading tid bit in your paper towel thread lol! Talk about a bad luck project. I hope it runs this time. As far as the stage 8's, that's what I was afraid of. So they do a good job of locking, but suck to get off? How much of a pain to get off are we talking about? If I buy them, I want to use the clips also. If not I'd like to maybe use the Broselins(sp). I just don't want to deal with header leaks and re-tightening. Anyone else use locking header bolts????
Old 02-03-2006, 09:18 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Yeah I had to retap two of the last drivers side rocker arm bolt holes, one of the power steering pump holes and that header hole...it sucked basically.

Mine only got crossthreaded cause the tap was bad on it, once I pulled the bolt out I retapped it and it went in fine.

It was a pain in the *** for me to get off cause of those c clips...I bend up most of them when taking them off cause I using a flathead to pry them off...it was the only way in my opinion.

I would stick with the stockers if I had to do it again...just be careful not to break any of them off in the head.

Last edited by Lithium; 02-03-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used them when I installed my mac headers last month. I got 6 locks on, but had trouble with the last 2, so I just left them off. It's only been a month, but so far so good.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used them with my header install. Simple process with the locks and have no worries about any of them backing out.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

i love mine, what i do is install them, heat cycle the gaskets a couple times then retorque and install locks, never had a leak.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by antz01ta
i love mine, what i do is install them, heat cycle the gaskets a couple times then retorque and install locks, never had a leak.
Off topic, but where in NEPA are you?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lithium
Yeah I had to retap two of the last drivers side rocker arm bolt holes, one of the power steering pump holes and that header hole...it sucked basically.

Mine only got crossthreaded cause the tap was bad on it, once I pulled the bolt out I retapped it and it went in fine.

It was a pain in the *** for me to get off cause of those c clips...I bend up most of them when taking them off cause I using a flathead to pry them off...it was the only way in my opinion.

I would stick with the stockers if I had to do it again...just be careful not to break any of them off in the head.
Wow, your story just gets worse and worse! When I did my heads/cam I worried about everything that actually happened to you. Luckily the worst thing I did was to mount my coil packs on backwards. Your making me a little nervous about doing the stage 8's. I can only imagine how hard it is to pull the clips off #6 and #8. If you don't care about screwing the clips up,
can you pry them off without too much problem? I'm not worried about screwing them up. Worst case scenario, I'll just buy more. I wonder why the Broselin ones aren't more popular....
Old 02-04-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

TTT for Saturday.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:01 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Yeah those clips are a pain in the ***. I tried grabbing them with pliers but that didnt work...so I took a flat head to them instead.

The clips are easy to come by, I believe most places will have them. They are 40 bucks though for the bolts...I am happy with mine.

If you dont want to have to deal with tightening the bolts often the get the stage 8's. Cause once they are on, they are not going to get loose.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

i have Breslin split-lock header bolts. They were kind of a pain in the *** to get locked into place but have not budged since then, I would reccomend them they cost about $50 bucks.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by akZ28
i have Breslin split-lock header bolts. They were kind of a pain in the *** to get locked into place but have not budged since then, I would reccomend them they cost about $50 bucks.

Where did you buy them at? I thought they were more like $100. How hard are they to take off? Hopefully easier than the stage 8's!
Old 02-04-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a set of Stage 8 and the blister-pack was one
bolt short (very handy to discover, at the time). So we
reused the stockers.

Drilling for safety wire is another way to go, costs nothing
but time and maybe a little ugly (but the kind of ugly that
tells people you know what you're doing).
Old 02-05-2006, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Where did you buy them at? I thought they were more like $100. How hard are they to take off? Hopefully easier than the stage 8's!
Got them through Jegs months ago. I dont know how hard they are to take off, they were a pain in the *** to get on because of the little locking bolt that is inside the larger bolt. you have to use an allen key to tighten it.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Stage 8s on my Hookers and have had no issues for 2 years. I'd use them again for sure!
Old 02-05-2006, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

I have the Stage 8's as well on my QTP's and I've had them on for about 3 weeks. Never bothered to put the locking mechanism on since when I went to retorque them, they were all still just as tight as before....

Quick Reply: Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts