Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Which option should i do?
First, buy D1SC then next summer get the suspension and rear end
51.52%
First get the suspension and rear end then next summer get the D1SC
42.42%
other? suggest you opinion
6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Future Procharger Build ideas, suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Future Procharger Build ideas, suggestions??

I have already done my research and I decided that I am going to do D1SC setup, the problem is I am a full time college student and only have the funding to do modifications when i work in the summer. Therefore i can not do everything at once, what do you guys think as far as what i should do first??
1.) D1SC kit and a stronger clutch, then next summer do the suspension work and get a rear end that can handle some hard launches and the power
2.) Get the suspension and rear end that is strong enough for the procharger this summer and then actually pick up the D1SC next summer
3.) other ideas

My car is not really a daily driver except in the summer, I don't have it at school and maybe put 2500 miles on it during the 9 months i am in college. I would really like to have the procharger this summer but I don't want to break something and not be able to afford to fix it. THIS CAR WILL NOT SEE THE TRACK TILL I HAVE CAR COMPLETELY FINISHED, so the rear end is not really a must but yes i know it is strongly advised when you have that kind of power

EDIT: UNLESS ONE OF SPONSORS WOULD LIKE TO USE MY CAR AS A PROJECT????

Last edited by ChaseSS; 02-08-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:58 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get the ProCharger, clutch and subframe connectors, if you can swing it on this year. Since it is not your daily driver, you will be taking a chance on the rear going out. As long as you don't run Nittos or a tire even stickier, the rear has a chance of survival. Bob
Old 02-08-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get the Procharger (and supporting cast) first since its the most money. Everything else you can build piece by piece.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:00 AM
9 Second Club

I went ahead and got the Procharger first and built the rest as it broke. Of course my parts are a bit more limited than yours.

I have grenaded 2 of these crappy IRS center sections waiting for my parts to come in from Australia!
Old 02-08-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the Pro Charger 1st. and supporting mods. Take it easy and you should be fine on the rear. Mine has been holding up so far, but it has not seen any real hard times. Going easy till swap or failure. You will defiantly need to up grade the clutch, had a spec II prior to F/I and it would not hold at the top end.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

procharger!!!!! its gonna be aswesome
Old 02-08-2006, 01:06 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I have to say the opposite, but I'm not of the instant gratification generation.

Get a good rear/clutch/fuel system'exhaust in the car first and pick up a tuning package and learn it. Having 600rwhp and stock driveline is like running into a willing penthouse model and your 'equipment' fails

Most people that buy the blower first and do the rest last usually give up before its done. If you are just looking for dyno numbers then it doesnt really matter, but if you want to hit the track a lot you need good driveline parts..
Old 02-08-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not real big on going to the track and I won't have DR's on the car (just goodyear F1's) but imagine once i get the build done i will be going to the track a lot. thanks for suggestions guys
Old 02-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Teching In

I would do the suspension and the rear end first. What good is more power if all you do is break other parts. I say make it strong then you can beat on it if you want to.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you guys think that I will break stuff just being on the street with just normal goodyear F1 tires? if i do any street racing its usually from a roll and would 450rwhp really take a toll on it??
Old 02-08-2006, 04:00 PM
kp
8 Second Club

If you are just street cruising it you can get away with a decent clutch and a stock rear for a long time with alot of power. You can even get away with it at the track every once in a while, just make you have a way to get home from the track in case the rear lets go.

I just like a strong drivetrain and it lets me concentrate on getting the car down the track, having the 'uh oh stock rear' in the back of your head at the track sucks

450-500rwhp will take a ton of street abuse if you are somewhat careful.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are just street cruising it you can get away with a decent clutch and a stock rear for a long time with alot of power. You can even get away with it at the track every once in a while, just make you have a way to get home from the track in case the rear lets go.

I just like a strong drivetrain and it lets me concentrate on getting the car down the track, having the 'uh oh stock rear' in the back of your head at the track sucks

450-500rwhp will take a ton of street abuse if you are somewhat careful.
thanks kp, thats what i was thinking... I am not very abusive on the car and most of races are highway runs not from a dig so I will probably do the prochager first thanks guys
Old 02-09-2006, 04:53 PM
9 Second Club

My car never had any issues on the street. All my problems came from the track. at both 550hp and 600hp levels. Of course my car is setup completely different so its not a fair comparison. But my car takes the street abuse on street tires just fine. It just spins the tires lots thats all!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

I ran a year on BFG DR, 150 shot of spray, and HD clutch on the stock rearend. I also had this car as a daily driver. My rearend lasted that long because I didn't dump the clutch at 6000rpm. My spray kicked it at about 3500rpm. I would launch the car between 2500-3300rpm. The car would be rolling when the torque surge from the nitrous kicked in. And my car dynoed at 465whp and 509-tq. You getting a Procharger will be easier on the rearend as long as you don't do the clutch dump.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

IF you take it easy on the launches and don't spend too much time binding up the rear on corners or launches, the 10 bolt will hold, but it's not definite.

I'm more in the line of KP's thinking. I would do the rear and other supporting mods 1st. No sense in blowing something up inorder to make an extra 100+ HP. It really sucks when you can't even drive the car with all the mods on it, if you break something that can't be easily afforded. Then what good is the Blower kit?

So, I'm voting to do supporting mods 1st. It'll pay off in the long run and will allow you to have a little more fun with what you already have.

Also look into doing an 02+ Z06 cam. That grind is in-expenisve, and performs well with FI. You can start with smaller changes like that to increase power now, and then increase power even more when you do get the blower.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
do you guys think that I will break stuff just being on the street with just normal goodyear F1 tires? if i do any street racing its usually from a roll and would 450rwhp really take a toll on it??
The stock rear will be fine with street tires but you will hate driving a 450rwhp car without grip...street driven or not. Given your money situation get the procharger first then the rear ASAP.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Suspension and brakes first.
- handling and brakes immediately increase drivability
- allows you to hone your skills and get used to the platform

Subframe connectors.
- make the suspension work its best

Tranny and coolant upgrades.
- Like the Germans: overbuild and understress

Engine & any electronics.
- a blower-ready motor will still be a blast to drive

Rearend.
- hate to have a rearend blow at speed, you may not be around to complete your project

Procharger or Vortech
- finally, but you don't have to worry about anything blowing up under the power

Jim

PS This sequence also has value if you ever have to delay your project. All prior steps are valuable and safe on their own.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Procharger or Vortech
- finally, but you don't have to worry about anything blowing up under the power
definately going procharger
Old 02-20-2006, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

Going with the s/c first would be more fun. My buddy ran his @ 470rw with the stock drive train on the street for 2 years & was fine. Then he took it to the track & found out how bad the setup was. He made 2 runs & stopped before it broke.

I went the other route & built the car to take it first. But I was running low 12s regularly at the track on the stock motor so I needed it....

Quick Reply: Future Procharger Build ideas, suggestions??