Opinion about UTI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion about UTI?

Thinking about attending UTI in June. I was wondering if anyone on here has gone to the school. If so what did you think about it? Anyone else that may know anything or heard about the school any feed back would be cool... Thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

I have a two friends that graduated from UTI they both know there away around a car. I watched one of them set up a rearend and the other tear into a 4 barrel carb, although neither one of them works in the automotive field now,they know their cars.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i heard a lot of people talk crap about UTI that a lot of them don't know thir stuff. But than again i know someone that graduated went to work for BMW after he graduated and now is working for the Ferrari dealership here in Houston
Old 02-28-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

My brother goes to UTI and he likes it, he's going into the Mercedes program pretty soon. He showed me pictures of a GTO with a turbo setup that they got to dyno and mess with in "Hot Rod U". They are strict about the rules though, you have to have a clean shirt and pants, and always wear steel toe boots when you go there. If you show up late to class you might as well not even go because its worse showing up late then making it to class. Don't know why that is, but its their rules.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:35 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

IMO, UTI is a school for the mechanic field. Working in a dealership seems to be the focus of the school. "Hot Rod U" I hear is a joke, not exactly the best if your wanting to learn high performance modifications. There are better schools for that...
Old 02-28-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

UTI good mechanics school, A guy that went toS.A.M. with me said the Hot Rod U program consist of tearing down the same SB 350 and swapping headers to see gains. U.T.I. = UnTrained Idiots HAHA j/k I had a guy I know that went there he works out in Fla. for some Mercedes or Jaguar joint making decent dollars.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the comments... By any chance is there any other mechanic schools that deal with performance in the Houston area?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

I went to UTI, the electronics stuff you learn is great, Hot rod u is fun but thats just how they get people to go...I got a good job right when I graduated..
Old 02-28-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rod79
Thanks for all the comments... By any chance is there any other mechanic schools that deal with performance in the Houston area?

School of Automotive Machinists

We are a sponsor over there on the right ---->

We only focus on building high performance racing engines. We deal with everything from Dirt Track late models, NHRA, NASCAR, Off Shore power boating, etc.

Here is a thread we have going currently about the worlds FIRST 500 cubic inch LS2 we are building. We have teamed up with ERL and Wiseco to make this thing possible. Definately something you should check out.

500" LS2 Buildup

If you are serious about wanting to build engines and be a part of the RACING Industry, you should check us out. Give us a call at 713-683-3817 and you can talk with myself and I can get you all lined up, or you can even send me a pm and we can discuss through that.

Regards,

Gray
www.SAMracing.com
Old 02-28-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went to UTI and I was satisfied for the most part. It helped me get into the BMW program which teaches you everything. UTI teaches you the basics of different manufactuer's, not alot of depth. I wish I would have went to SAM because I like engines and racing. In the end it will help you get a better job.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Go to S.A.M Jud's stories are priceless plus you learn alot.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MrBill97396
Go to S.A.M Jud's stories are priceless plus you learn alot.

that is true, i sat in a couple of classes... and Jud is hilarious, and a ******* master at building motors!
Old 02-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Gray I sent you a pm... That sounds like what I am looking for. I will be calling you later. Can't wait to hear some of those stories. lol
Old 02-28-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

I wanna go back to SAM I need to pick up my 4bolt I left behind. Hey Gray priece me out one of your minions to machine me a block. PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've taken a tour of both schools. I took the tour at UTI before i had heard about SAM. When I took the tour of SAM I was very impressed with what I saw and I will be enrolling to start classes either this year after I graduate h/s, or I might wait a year. I sat in on one class and I was totally absorbed by everything jud said. I learned so much in that one class, and I also heard some badass stories.

Does judd really have a viper?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by idrivesh!t
I've taken a tour of both schools. I took the tour at UTI before i had heard about SAM. When I took the tour of SAM I was very impressed with what I saw and I will be enrolling to start classes either this year after I graduate h/s, or I might wait a year. I sat in on one class and I was totally absorbed by everything jud said. I learned so much in that one class, and I also heard some badass stories.

Does judd really have a viper?
He has a Viper, plus like 9 others if you include the race cars .
Old 02-28-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get good grades, it will be no problem to get picked up by a manufacturer. I was accepted by Volvo, but I only wanted to go to Porsche. They require a 3.9-4.0 though, and after only electronics, I had a 3.5. I wish they would have waited to see me now. It is like any other school, you only get out of it what you put into it.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

So say you do go to a school like SAMracing and learn everything you need to learn about builting bad a$$ engines. How often do big places like MTI, HPE, LME, etc. pick up guys to work for them? Cause if theres a good chance it would make it that much more exciting to go learn all of that...
Old 03-01-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

MTI has egine builders from there, LME is SAM students and from what Jud said Pecos's class was the brightest he has ever tought, HPE is SAM students and Erik Koenig the engine builder at HPE is a SAM instructor. So if your good and bust your *** and apply the hell out of yourself you can get on there. Guys I went to school with, well I was starting and they where finishing are in N.C. working for Yates racing as camshaft development supervisors and all over those places. Now to get into cup you have to be a bad dude and smart and hard worker, just look at the schools site and the list of employers.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Cool I appreciate the info. Well I know that if I go to Sam I will try my hardest to learn everything. I would really like to get into some of those places. Sometimes it seems like it’s too hard to get into one of those places.

Quick Reply: Opinion about UTI?