Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's this and is it in backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What's this and is it in backwards?

In trying to troubleshoot another problem (see my blown fuse question in the General Maintenance forum) I noticed this pipe in the cooling system (upper radiator hose) in my 2002 Z28. It looks to me like it's installed backwards; the end labeled "RADIATOR" is on the engine end of things and vice versa. What is it, what does it do, and what are the ramifications of it being installed backwards? To the best of my knowledge, the car has been running fine with it installed as is (ignoring the electrical problem that appeared over the weekend, that is).

As brief background, the front clip on the car was replaced before I bought it due to an accident. I don't know the extent of the damage from that accident, but aside from a few minor creaks and groans the car has been excellent for me. It currently has about 22K miles, about 10K more than when I bought it last fall. I mention this because if it is backwards, it most likely wasn't a factory error.

Any help on my other question is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent
Attached Thumbnails What's this and is it in backwards?-dsc05877.jpg  
Old 07-10-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the power steering cooler and the arrows are
meant to indicate direction hosewise, not free space.
Though I doubt it matters any.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see arrows, just a single word on each end: RADIATOR on the left end, closest to the water pump, and ENGINE, on the right end closest to the radiator. Seems backwards. Also seems like if they took the time to label it that there must be a reason. Not doubting you -- just a bit confused.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is backwards. Don't think it will hurt anything though. The power steering cooler lines are connected at the bottom to 2 nipples. With it being backwards it may make those 2 small hoses not fit properly or have to much slack. Just make sure they aren't rubbing on anything and you'll probably be ok.

Last edited by HavATampa; 05-31-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:29 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never knew that was a PS cooler untill now.

My car doesn't have one, but my friends 02 does. When did they start using them? Was it an option?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HavATampa
It is backwards. Don't think it will hurt anything though. The power steering cooler lines are connected at the bottom to 2 nipples. With it being backwards it may make those 2 small hoses not fit properly or have to much slack. Just make sure they aren't rubbing on anything and you'll probably be ok.
Thanks for the info! May switch it around as long as I have stuff apart up front anyway. Not tonight, though. Gonna have to drive the wife's Durango to work tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
My car doesn't have one, but my friends 02 does. When did they start using them? Was it an option?
A quick Google search makes it seem that they became an option with the 2000 model year.

http://www.geocities.com/david.l.eva...marostats.html 1999 options

http://www.geocities.com/david.l.eva...marostats.html 2000 options
Old 07-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

FWIW, swapped the cooler end for end tonight and at least THAT was easy. If anyone reading this knows ANYTHING about electronics, please check out my update in the thread I linked to in my first post. I've gotta get this car back on the road ASAP!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Oh yeah, I forgot. The power steering cooler option came stock on the SS and the WS6 models only....I think. Not all models got it. Not sure if you could special order it or not.

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I never knew that was a PS cooler untill now.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

I believe it was standard on the Z28 as well.

EDIT: Further research shows it was standard on the Z28 in 2002 only. In the 1998-2002 cars, it was available only on the B4C (police) package in 1998-99. It became a $100 (MSRP) option (code V12) in 2000 but was included as standard equipment in the B4C and WU8 (SS) packages. In 2002, all LS1-equipped Camaros had the PS cooler as standard equipment.

Last edited by brossow; 07-11-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok well i took mine off when i installed my ewp.. looks exactly the same on both sides... idk why it would matter being reverse i even blew in the tubes on the bottom free flowing so no weird stuff in there its just an aluminum pipe the oil comes up goes in and goes back out. the outer tubing looks weird though, its got holes all around the outer diameter all go all the way through i guess its to help the cooling effect or thermal transfer... only difference might be one side is smaller then the other. but i doubt it.