Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 90/NW90 throttle body gain on SI car

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Old Drag Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FAST 90/NW90 throttle body gain on SI car

I've just picked up one of the final pieces to the 408 puzzle that I've been working on slowly but surely. From a member here I picked up a NIB FAST 90 and a NW 90mm throttle body. I'm sending the intake to Tony Mamo for his full boogey port job. This intake will do wonders for the 408, that fact is undisputed. In the mean time, I'd sure like to make it as far up the SI list as I can before the 408 goes in. I know this intake isn't worth 30+ horsepower on a stock engine especially over the LS6 intake I already have. What's it worth though, honestly? I've heard 10-12 unported with the throttle body. I've heard it lost power in some instances. I've heard as high as 20 but I suspect that was over an LS1 intake. I've seen a post about a stock ported throttle body dyno at 6-7 additional horsepower alone so I'm truly hoping to get 15ish out of this intake/TB on the stock engine. I've pretty much got all the other bolt-ons and am putting down 328.9 now unlocked through a PT4000 and a 3.90 geared 12 bolt. I'm also switching to 4.10's with a spool in my quest. I don't care if this intake loses power down low. I'm never turning less than 5000 RPM during a run anyhow with most of the run at 5500+ RPM. 15 horsepower could be worth as much as .2 on my car and that will make a difference of possibly ending up at #48 on that list or being #20. i.e, any gain is pretty much worth it to me. Am I about to be sorely disappointed? Any thought or experiences greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:11 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are you spinning this motor too??!!?!!?! 13.5:1 nice!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Old Drag Racer

Well, I'm still on the stock motor while I get the 408 together. I finally do have all the parts thank goodness. I'm planning on spinning the 408 to 7000 with the 253/261 .648 lift cam I have or at least very close to it. Alas, the 13.5:1 compression goal may have been a tad lofty. I needed 56cc chambers to acheive it. I have 61cc's and I'm scared to cut the heads any more. Oh well, at least I can spray the **** out of the 408 without guilt now should the need arise, right???

The question I have at the moment concerns using the FAST 90/90 on the stock engine in the search for a few extra ponies. I want my name on the SI list and I'd sure like to see it towards the top and not near the bottom. That's why I'm willing to go to a lot of trouble and expense to put this intake on my car now. Man, I sure would love to see 15 horsepower even if it's at 6000+ RPM. Am I hoping for too much? Thanks for any opinions or experiences.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:50 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw about 15 out of a FAST 78 from an LS1 stock manifold, but that is heads and 244/248 cam. You are just bolt-ons right now then....Correct?
Old 07-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Old Drag Racer

Yes sir. Just bolt-ons currently but I think I have every damned one there is available and some that even aren't. At least my wallet thinks so. I don't even know why it's so important to me to make that SI list. It just is. 20 years ago I did not want anyone to know what I was running no matter what. Full 180 degree swing now that I'm an old fart. Who woulda thunk???
Old 07-09-2006, 12:36 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hoodathunkit lol.

With that big of a stall, you're going to pick up some top end with it no doubt. I noticed more power up top (4k on) switching from an LS1 to an LS6, so I cam imagine some power is to be had going to LS6 to 90/90. SUX2BU has one on his SI car, not sure if he has a back to back comparison with it or not. You could also slap a set of 1-7/8" headers on as well.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:13 AM
12 Second Club

Never seen a back-to-back dyno with SI and swapping LS6 for 90/90. I've seen cammed cars do it and lose below 3000RPMS. Don't know how much you'll gain, but with that high a stall I doubt you care much about what happens down low.

If you can do a before and after dyno (with both tuned), then that'll be a first as far as I know. So post it up!
Old 07-09-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

if i was to throw out a hp figure on a stock cam and a/t trans i'd sat maybe 10 rw but with that big of a vert you will definitely not hurt yourself by putting it on,it should be quicker.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My air dyno says the ported FAST 90 set-up will be worth 10-15 with stock internals....20+ when you upgrade to cam and heads. I think it will be a good move considering both your present goals and future plans. Seems like a no brainer to me....Obviously the stock intake doesn't represent as much of a restiction with stock heads and cam, but the better flowing design should still be worth something.

I'm looking foward to the results as well. Hopefully my guesstimate is fairly close.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 07-09-2006, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
My air dyno says the ported FAST 90 set-up will be worth 10-15 with stock internals....
Ah, ported. Now that's a different animal altogether.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Old Drag Racer

Originally Posted by black_knight
Ah, ported. Now that's a different animal altogether.
Yes, as I put in the first post in this thread, I've already contacted Tony Mamo and he's going to do one of his full boogey porting jobs on this intake for me. Even if the intake is only worth a couple of horsepower it's worth it to me but I suspect the porting work alone to be worth 5 or more over the stock FAST 90 even on my SI engine. Even a couple of hundredths on the timeslip will make a difference as to where I ultimately end up at on the SI list so whatever gain I get I'll be grateful for it. 15 would be superfantabulous and then some but I won't bash anyone if I get 1/3 of that on the stock motor. I had Jeff Creech do a dyno tune on my car like it sits. 328.9 was the result unlocked with 3.90 gears in the 12 bolt through the PT4000 conveter and having 26x9.5x16 Hoosier QTP's on the back. Locking the converter made more power but since most people quote their RWHP as unlocked, that's what I'm doing as well. It made 15 more horsepower locked for those that are curious. I will not have the same combo when I take it back to Jeff to get the car retuned for the intake as I'll have the spool and 4.10's in the car by then. Probably be on the MT radials as well or maybe the 10" slicks. Not the 16" QTP's as they're history. Since there will be changes comparing to the 328.9 will not be fair. I'll try to contact Jeff Creech tomorrow and see what he would charge to redyno the car, install the intake and then retune the car for the intake. That's the only way we'll get a valid comparison of exactly what this will be worth. If he doesn't charge me an arm and a leg to do this for me, we'll all know. If it's monetarily prohibitive, I'll just get him to retune for the new intake and we can draw conclusions from the dyno result and from any and all performance differences in the car. No matter what, I'll have baseline numbers from whatever gear/tire combo is on the car with the LS6 intake so we can compare what the FAST 90/90 does. I'll see what I can do for the home team so we'll all know though. Thanks for any and all help here. LS1Tech sure has a lot of great people using it.

Last edited by Smokinstorm; 07-09-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
My air dyno says the ported FAST 90 set-up will be worth 10-15 with stock internals....
Hey Tony,

When you port the FAST 90, is it a different kind of port for every client, or is there just a "Mamo port" that you do for every intake? Also, does your port change the intake's TQ peak RPM tendencies?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Old Drag Racer

To anyone that may like to know what the FAST 90 is worth on a stock motor vs an LS6 intake, I'm going to be able to find out. I talked to Jeff Creech today and in the interest of furthering everyone's knowledge, he's agreed to dyno my car again with the LS6 (it's already been tuned by him), change the intake for me and then optimize the tune with the FAST 90/90 for me. AT NO CHARGE. He wants to know as well so he can better advise his customers so he's agreed to do this for me. Maybe some here have heard less than stellar things about him but I hope this effort on his part He's the man in my book. Always has been and always will be. What more can I say?? Jeff Creech
Old 07-11-2006, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Smokinstorm
To anyone that may like to know what the FAST 90 is worth on a stock motor vs an LS6 intake, I'm going to be able to find out.
Technically speaking, you're going to find out what a ported FAST 90 will do on a SI motor vs LS6, which is not the same thing as what a regular FAST 90 will do.

Still, that's pretty badass, what Jeff is doing for you.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

maybe a dumb question but whats a SI motor?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevensLS1
maybe a dumb question but whats a SI motor?
Stock Internals. Meaning that the shortblock, cam, heads, and valvetrain are stock.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Old Drag Racer

Technically speaking, you're going to find out what a ported FAST 90 will do on a SI motor vs LS6, which is not the same thing as what a regular FAST 90 will do.

Still, that's pretty badass, what Jeff is doing for you.
Doesn't everyone port these intakes at least some before installing them? I heard from the guy I'm buying it from that it's so bad inside that he'd never consider bolting it on the way it came. The horror stories I heard about these intakes were apparently from people that tried to port them themselves and butchered the job. I thought everyone ported them, just some people had less than professional porting work done and the results indicated as such. But yes, technically I'll be comparing a fullly prepped/ported FAST 90 to an untouched LS6 intake. I'll leave the fully ported LS6 intake vs fully ported FAST 90 test and the stock LS6 vs stock FAST to the next guy.

And yes, Jeff is a credit to his profession. There aren't many out there that would do this just for the sake of adding to the knowledge pool. I can't say enough good things about him. He's also going to take me back to that awesome restaurant we had lunch at the last time I was there. That alone is worth the 10 hour round trip there and back.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Smokinstorm
Doesn't everyone port these intakes at least some before installing them?
No, absolutely not.

I thought everyone ported them, just some people had less than professional porting work done and the results indicated as such.
Prepping or "cleaning it up" is not at all the same thing as porting. What Tony Mamo does is port the intake and it shows with some significant gains.

AFAIK, most people are just cleaning the flash off (like what TEA does), which is not porting. And a lot of folks are just sticking it on there as is.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Old Drag Racer

No, absolutely not.

Prepping or "cleaning it up" is not at all the same thing as porting. What Tony Mamo does is port the intake and it shows with some significant gains.

AFAIK, most people are just cleaning the flash off (like what TEA does), which is not porting. And a lot of folks are just sticking it on there as is.
This certainly explains why some have had much better results with this intake vs what others have had. I have been researching this intake for the past year or so. I had seen that there were only a few people's port work that actually showed any gains. I guess there are only a few people that are actually porting them. I almost bought a "fully ported" FAST 90 from TEA a little while ago. I'd have certainly been in the "disappointed with less than stellar results" crowd and probably just blamed the intake. At least now I'm confident that I'm getting an intake that's all it can be. It also explains why Tony gets what he does for his work on the intake. Even still it might not be worth much on a SI car. This test will find out.