Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New High-Efficiency TCI Converters!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New High-Efficiency TCI Converters!

We've been talking to TCI about some new converters that will not only be hard hitters but retain excellent efficiency. They responded with two new MaxEffort converters:

TCI MaxEffort Streetfighter: 3200 RPM stall speed, 2.6:1 STR - $499.99
TCI MaxEffort Super Streetfighter: 3700 RPM stall speed, 2.7:1 STR - $539.99

The impellor fin angle is kept to a maximum positive angle on both converters to ensure high efficiency levels on the track. Between the hard hit of the high STR and the excellent efficiency, these converters will make for a killer setup! They are using the stator from their Competition line of converters to achieve the high STR. TCI says that these converters should be good for an additional .1 in the 1/4-mile over their standard Streetfighter and Super Streetfighter converters. Both converters use an anti-ballooning plate on the top and a ground, heat-treated impellor hub. The clutch used is wider than stock and uses a heavy-duty friction material. All of their torque converters feature an HDT coating, which helps to dissipate heat from the converter body.

For the Trailblazer SS crowd, these converters are offered as a 3400 and 3900 stall speed, respectively. The added power and torque of the LS2 will raise the stall speed some. The high STR will certainly help to get the heavy vehicle moving quicker off of the line! I will be trying the MaxEffort 3400 in my Trailblazer SS, so I will let everyone know how well it works for me. These converters are not recommended for towing as they are built, but you can opt for the billet cover for those of you looking to retain some towing ability. It will use a wider clutch for lockup. The billet cover option will cost an additional $230.

These converters will be ready to ship in 10-14 days. FYI, I am currently running the six-cylinder Trailblazer converter in my TBSS that stalls approximately 2800-2900 RPM. I'm going to get track results from the current converter before swapping to the MaxEffort 3400. The one I'm going to test will also have the optional billet cover.

Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance

Last edited by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.; 09-19-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so can these be ordered right off the bat with the billet lock up converter and is their an option for a lt1-4l60e converter?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

nice.. im afraid to see the price tho..
Old 09-19-2006, 01:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I just edited my original post to include the pricing. That's an important bit of info. The prices are still VERY affordable and will not break the bank but still offer the best performance possible.

As for the LT1 converters with a billet front cover, we will have to build it as a custom converter right now until they have the new part number released. It wouldn't be a problem, though. The same pricing will apply. I will just have to list everything a specific way when I send TCI the purchase order.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Trevor
Old 09-19-2006, 03:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I've just updated our website with the new converters, complete with the billet cover upgrade.

Trevor
Old 09-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Better plan on some sticky tires ... the current 3000/2.2 and 3500/2.5 hit plenty hard already ... with even more STR, it's going to be brutal. And here's hoping the clutches are state of the art ...
Old 09-20-2006, 01:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the STR on the Super Street Fighter 3500? Does this one (SS Fighter 3500) come with the billet front cover as well?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Are these converters going to be any more reliable and lasting then their current converters? Many many people report TCI converters have taken down their transmissions after only a few 1000s of driving with them.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SSF3500 has a 2.5 STR. Thats what I'm running. Been in my car for 2 yrs.

It's not a cream of the crop converter but gets the job done for cheap.

As I am looking into making my setup faster I was looking around at other options. I'll have to look into these converters, appears to be a good street/ strip converter if your running stock gearing and moderate power.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have these converters gotten a bigger / stronger
lockup clutch system? That was my only comp[laint
with the old Streetfighter line and what made me
switch out. My old Streetfighter was giving me 97%
at the top end.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

on the topic of the 3700.2.7str, will it be a good match with a cammed nitrous car? im thinking either ms4 sized or tv3.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We've discussed different areas of the converters and some of the problems in the past with the converters, and TCI has addressed/is addressing all of them. I've personally run most of the popular brand converters for the LSx-based vehicles, and I've had my fair share of problems with all of them. The reason we sell the TCI converters is because they're always willing to listen to suggestions if we have any, and their customer service is unmatched. They're ready to continually improve on their products and don't take offense when you approach them with new ideas. TCI made a radical improvement on their 4L60E converters back in early 2003, and they have been constantly working to keep improving as technology and development allows. Our shop manager has run a TCI Competition 4400 in his '01 Z28 for two years now, and it's his only mode of transportation. I've run 3800-4400 stalls in 4L60E cars of my own, and they've also built 8" race converters and nitrous-specific converters for Powerglide and 3-speed trannies in our various race cars. They're currently building a custom converter for us that will go in our twin turbo C5 and will be locked up in high gear. The lockup clutches in these new MaxEffort converters are an upgrade vs. what has been used in the Streetfighters and Super Streetfighters in the past. For those wanting maximum area for the lockup clutch, the optional billet cover would be the way to go. It's certainly recommended in the heavier vehicles. That's why I'm opting for it in my Trailblazer SS. The STR's on the traditional Streetfighter and Super Streetfighter are 2.2:1 and 2.5:1, respectively. The added STR will definitely provide a harder hit, and it should be expected. A sticky tire will be best for optimal traction and performance, but that's a given when doing any converter swap with added stall.

As far as using the 3700 in a cammed nitrous car, it would work well depending on how much nitrous you're looking to use, along with what type and size of tire. If you're launching on the bottle, you'll certainly want a slick for best traction! The hard hit of the converter combined with added power on the bottle will make for a really nice 60' with full traction.

Let me know if anyone has any other questions or concerns.

Trevor
Old 09-20-2006, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Well I'm in the bunch that has SSF 3500 lock up problems. Mine has just recently giving me problems. I have talked to TCI and they have given me two options. Pay them for a new converter and it will be shipped to me here in Canada or send the old one down and they will have a look at it and determine what is the problem is and call to advise.
Will ( at TCI ) has been very curtious with me and I appreciate that. Like any high performance part things can go wrong but damn after 2 summers of running the stall you would expect it to last far longer than that.
The hassle of pulling the T/c out and putting in the new one is a pain but has to be done to rectify the problem.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

what kind of warrenty do they offer and my setup will most likely be a good sized cam, or maybe a smaller tq cam like a 224/228/110lsa not sure, but ill be running on 26" tall tires and run no more than 150 shot on the 346
Old 09-21-2006, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 99SSragtop
Well I'm in the bunch that has SSF 3500 lock up problems. Mine has just recently giving me problems. I have talked to TCI and they have given me two options. Pay them for a new converter and it will be shipped to me here in Canada or send the old one down and they will have a look at it and determine what is the problem is and call to advise.
Will ( at TCI ) has been very curtious with me and I appreciate that. Like any high performance part things can go wrong but damn after 2 summers of running the stall you would expect it to last far longer than that.
The hassle of pulling the T/c out and putting in the new one is a pain but has to be done to rectify the problem.
Lockup clutches have always been a hot topic for the converter manufacturers. TCI's normal warranty period is 90 days, but I've seen them warranty stuff before that was a little bit past the warranty period. Two years without having to freshen an aftermarket converter, no matter the manufacturer, is pretty decent IMO. Again, the new clutch material being used in their MaxEffort converters will definitely help with this problem, and upgrading with the billet cover will take it even a step further.

When I had my '02 SS, I had heads/cam and nitrous. I started off with a 100 HP NX shot, and I was running a TCI 3800 stall, 3.73's, and a 26" Hoosier slick. At a sea-level track, I was maxed out on the 26" tires with my gearing. I would cross the finish line right at 6,700 RPM in 3rd gear. If you're running a shallower gear, then you'll have some extra growing room. It would be close, but I think you would be able to make a 150 HP shot work if you were running the 3700 stall with a 26" tall tire and 3.23's. If you're running 3.73's like I was, then you'll need a 28" tall tire to have enough room for the 1/4.

Trevor
Old 09-21-2006, 11:29 AM
10 Second Club

Most of the people having lock-up problems can usually trace it down to the tune or the lack of.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

ya i have 3.23's and plan to keep them until i get a 12 bolt and then maybe take it to 3.73's or 3.50's. either way, its going to be maybe a be a cam only 150 shot or if i get all the money togetheri n time a lq9 408
Old 10-20-2006, 01:13 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Any track times with these max effort converters? Anyone get one yet? I have a 4200 TCI in my V6 and it's been a great converter. Time to get one in a Z as well.

What is the difference between a street fighter and a super street fighter? Just the stall or are there better parts in the super?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Trevor,

Are they gonna make these for the 4L80E's ? (for us doing the swap)
Old 10-21-2006, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLKWS6
Trevor,

Are they gonna make these for the 4L80E's ? (for us doing the swap)
Yes, they can custom-build one for the 4L80E to the MaxEffort specs. I actually spoke with Kevin at TCI about building the converters for LT1's/C5's, V6's, etc. to the MaxEffort specs, and he said that it's no problem! Let me know if you want me to get a price for you for your 4L80E, and I'll be happy to give them a call!

As for times from the MaxEffort converters, stay tuned. I am hoping to get some times from the MaxEffort 3200 (closer to 3400 in my Trailblazer SS) tomorrow!

Trevor

Quick Reply: New High-Efficiency TCI Converters!