General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

GM designer for LT1=fucking moron

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GM designer for LT1=******* moron

oh gee where should me and my dad start?

you cant see ****
cant get to ****
no easy access to a damn thing

It took us 6 HOURS to change 2 plus. 2 for 6 hours!!!!!

i got the first 3 on the drivers side done the other day. we got the back one and the front one on the passenger side done today. we took the alternarter off and bent the A.I.R tube for better acess and was still a ******* *****. Hell he even broke it trying tog et that bitch back in so now we gotta go buy another plug! those last 3 plugs, 4 6 and 8 i got no idea how im gonna ******* get them. whoever said get them from the bottom is a ******* crackhead or has some LT headers because we cant even see the wires much less get a hand through that tangled mess of **** they called a y pipe
Old 11-18-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such are all cars. Why do you feel to blame GM when many imports have much more compact engine bays?

GM actually builds cars up from scratch multiple times to streamline for production costs and manufacture time. I don't remember serviceability as an issue for the spark plugs are they are supposed to last for the majority of the engine's lifespan if you get the correct AC Delco plugs.

Would you really want to call seasoned engineers ******* morons, though? Think twice before you rant about your problems. Displays of irrationality don't impress anyone. That is unless you could build another car.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes I think hes a ******* idiot either way. why the hell are you gonna put those bitches in there where no noe can see them and takes half a lifetime to change. this is by far the worst thing ive ever done with this car. the stockers finally gave up and i got the tTR55's to replace them. the driver side is all fine and good but my god holy hell the passenger side is such a ******* ****

GM actually builds cars up from scratch multiple times to streamline for production costs and manufacture time

and that right there shows in a lot of places
Old 11-18-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard it was supposed to be harder on the lt1 cars. It looked hard on my 98, but when I got into doing it, it really wasn't all that bad with the air tubes out of the way and few coil packs removed on the pass side. I'll be doing it again soon
Old 11-18-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

no no no lol. harder isnt the word. ls1 guys yall aint got **** toc ry over, you go take a look at an LT1 then come back and say its jsut harder
Old 11-18-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

How about taking a breathe and calming down before posting?
Old 11-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Need a tissue for your issue?
Old 11-18-2006, 06:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Would you really want to call seasoned engineers ******* morons, though?
Why not? In every line of work you will find some individuals who are seasoned at their profession, yet still they suck at it. This is not exclusive to engineers.

Just because you've been doing something forever doesn't make you the best. Perhaps someone else could have done it better.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Teching In

I feel your pain. I once tried to change my own spark plugs... broke one off trying to screw it in...gave up...and that was on the drivers side! LOL, i dont even want to think about the passenger side! Took it into the mechanic and made him deal with it. Problem solved.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

its really not that tough to do plugs on the lt1 you get 2,4,6 from the top take your time they come out just fine and then you can get 8 from the bottom its really not that tough and the drivers side is so easy its pathetic

take a deep breath have a beer, smoke a cig, take a dip, whatever take little breaks every once in a while and it will go
Old 11-18-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's one good thing about a 4 banger at least: spark plugs are right there on top.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

This reminds me of changing my friend's intake manifold gasket what seemed like every oil change... boy I don't miss that. I feel your pain on the plugs man

-J
Old 11-18-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would like a tissue for my issue of bleeding knucles from this job from HELL. and would you mind explaining how the **** am I gonna get #8 from the bottom. the y pipe and all that mess is in the way. im not trying tob e hateful or anything but I truely see no way in hell of getting anything from the bottom without taking out the exhaust
Old 11-18-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

i changed my plugs and wires on my 9c1. there was tons of room in the caprice and it was still a bieatch to work on. i feel for my lt1 f-body brothers
Old 11-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

And then once you get your plugs changed, the Optispark will go out ... because it was placed under the water pump where water would be sure to drip on it ... I agree with you on LT1 engineering (having owned 2 and replaced 3 opti's). The LS1 is a so much better package it's not even funny.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

i cant wait until the trans am is done lol. im putting plugs and the works on it. some ditzzy college chick had daddies car so im gonna save myself the trouble and change every possible fluid becuase not even god knows if she changed **** on it
Old 11-18-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I work on equipment every day at my job and one thing I've learned about engineeris is that they truly believe, deep down in their heart, that what they are designing will NEVER,EVER BREAK-and so if it is impossible to get apart in the future,it doesn't matter one bit!!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

That is not absolutely true.

You have to consider that in modern society that the current belief is that if it is broken throw it away and get a new one. Also no products are repairable. Half the time you take it to a store and just get a new one on warranty. Why? It takes more effort to fix it then to build a new one.

Why design every part of a vehicle to be serviceble when people get tired of it and move on to a new one anyways?

Also note that you can't have every part easily accessable. The car would be huge and too costly. Most people never look under the hood anyways. Why not concentrate efforts on what makes customers want to buy the car: style and sounds. You have to make room for the couple of things that will commonly break and that is all you can do.

Besides the engine was not designed around the car. The car was designed around the engine. It is called making things economic.

Also, there is persuasion from management to make cars only last so long. People get sick of the car anyways so why not encourage them to upgrade to the lastest.

I am sure you are all going to go off and rant about it but look inside. You know eventually you are going to get rid of your car. Hell, half the owners in the North don't even have a choice with how fast stuff rusts anyways.

I hate it when people just make judgements from one part of the spectrum but don't weight out all possible reasons it might be like that.

You know earlier generation Corvettes had pop-up headlights to meat a DOT height regulation? The engineers had no choice and they looked cool anyways.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

z28, not to be be rude, but save it for another time. i see those points all fine and good, but making those things that hard is fucknig stupid regardless what its built around or for
Old 11-19-2006, 12:52 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I hate it when people just make judgements from one part of the spectrum but don't weight out all possible reasons it might be like that.

I understand your points, but why hate?

As a rule the buying public is only concerned with the “end-user” spectrum and could care less about engineering compromises during development, or pressure from management/accounting to meet budget constraints. The average consumer looks only at what effects him or her personally. This is the reality that all production based corporations must deal with; then tailor their products to meet as many consumer demands as possible while still remaining profitable and competitive with their MSRP.

However, just because something has to be a certain way doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t be able to complain about it if we don’t like it.

This board is full of complaints ranging from weak 10-bolts to poor power window motors. Should we all keep our mouths shut just because there are engineering and business reasons why these things are the way they are? I say no. Sometimes it just feels good to be able to vent.

Quick Reply: GM designer for LT1=fucking moron