LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

performance ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance ?

What performance should i look for with a set of ported LT-1 heads and that new Edelbrock air-gap intake manifold?Im about to buy the heads and the new intake manifold comes out in 2007.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

i know edelbrock's late model stuff has suffered for the lt1's. they improved their ls1 stuff, but im not sure they will release any such product, as they've claimed it for at least a year now. IMO, i'd go with another port company to handle a ported lt1 or even single plain. i wont believe an edelbrock air gap until it is released.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We had a thread about that intake, Redneck. Summit has a listing and price for it. Now I know that doesn't really mean much, but I'd think it means more than just being on Edelbrocks site. Also I think the "ship date" said December, could be mistaken on that bit though.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Summit makes it standard practice to put a ship date out there and as it approaches repeatedly move it out farther.

The very best numbers I have heard out of Edelbrock are 7hp presumably flywheel and that ti will not fit stock heads without machining.

Rest assured though they will release something to satisfy the ignorant masses who ASSume it is an upgrade.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Rest assured though they will release something to satisfy the ignorant masses who ASSume it is an upgrade.
In what world is 7 HP not an upgrade?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Summit makes it standard practice to put a ship date out there and as it approaches repeatedly move it out farther.

The very best numbers I have heard out of Edelbrock are 7hp presumably flywheel and that ti will not fit stock heads without machining.

Same thing happened with the MSD opti. Look how many freaking times they moved the ship date back.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
In what world is 7 HP not an upgrade?
It is an upgrade but not what people will expect. That is also their numbers and should be independently tested because most companies marketing departments take liberties with the truth. Another source there has said 3hp which is well within dyno error range.

IMO if we want good parts we have to be more objective than most folks are. Met some guys at the strip the other day, I was running low 12s and they figured I had to have AFRs or LT4 and Hypercrap . Then proceeded to tell me about this cold air intake he had on his car, one known to suckup water and has been responsible for a few blown motors, scoop directly in the airdam, puddle = , multiple "ramair" kits for this car with straighter path and almost no risk of water ingestion. Too many folks trust advertizing over results and I would say they are the average enthusiasts.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I can't see why it would need machining. There is an LT1 version and an LT4 version. As I stated in the other thread, just having the airgap is nice for racers since you can shove ice packs in there.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

i do wonder if it will actually work. not many serious gen 1 sb chevy engines gain much with an airgap. some mid-upper gain, but I'd imagine less than a single plain.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
Well I can't see why it would need machining. There is an LT1 version and an LT4 version. As I stated in the other thread, just having the airgap is nice for racers since you can shove ice packs in there.

Edelbrock is the one that has said it will mate to their heads fine but stock heads would need machining, if the people so dead set on this thing did the slightest bit of research they would come up with this info on their own.