Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

pain in the A$$ struts install

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question pain in the A$$ struts install

Tried to install the Koni SA struts tonight with no luck. Dam gm got me with some weird T-50 screws on the driver side strut, needless to say i had to give up and regroup.

Was everyones this dam hard? And by the way, the passenger side bolts are regular ones
Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Launching!

The biggest pain for me was that I had to cut the top nut off one of the old shocks due to rust... Very common problem with these cars. So, be prepared for that as well! Others have mentioned that they move the Torx-head bolts to the passenger side when putting everything back together because standard bolts are easier to work with when they're underneath the master cylinder. Are you changing the springs too?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jb442
The biggest pain for me was that I had to cut the top nut off one of the old shocks due to rust... Very common problem with these cars. So, be prepared for that as well! Others have mentioned that they move the Torx-head bolts to the passenger side when putting everything back together because standard bolts are easier to work with when they're underneath the master cylinder. Are you changing the springs too?

nope, i've got the eibach pro kit on and have had it on since day two
Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Launching!

www.ls1howto.com ...should have taken the time to read the writeup's bro, I knew exactly what tools to pick up before I began working on mine this past weekend.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

^^^
Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MightyBobo
www.ls1howto.com ...should have taken the time to read the writeup's bro, I knew exactly what tools to pick up before I began working on mine this past weekend.
I used the same link when I did mine saved alot of time.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

I replaced my front and rear shocks/struts with a set of Monroe replacements in my shop class at school, so I had a full lift, good spring compressor, etc. and still was a royal PITA.

The t-50 bolts on mine had been stripped out, so I ended up having to cut the tops of the bolts off and punching out the bolts to get them out. Then went to the hardware store and bought two 3/8"x1" grade 8 bolts to replace those darn star bolts. Other than that, and leaving a bushing out in one of the rears *doh*, it was a breeze.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Out1aw
I replaced my front and rear shocks/struts with a set of Monroe replacements in my shop class at school, so I had a full lift, good spring compressor, etc. and still was a royal PITA.

The t-50 bolts on mine had been stripped out, so I ended up having to cut the tops of the bolts off and punching out the bolts to get them out. Then went to the hardware store and bought two 3/8"x1" grade 8 bolts to replace those darn star bolts. Other than that, and leaving a bushing out in one of the rears *doh*, it was a breeze.
Haha, ouch on the bushing, but - at least it was the rear! I had to take one of my brant new frunt strut's out to redo something I messed up. But, taking a new one out is MUCH easier than taking the old ones out, what a nightmare...
Old 04-03-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lisle makes a shock absorber tool to get those pesky rusted nuts off. Its a $10 tool and saves many headaches for rusted on nuts. Spray a good penetrate like PB Blaster and knock the surface rust off with a wire brush. They usually come right off with my impact once compressed but if not ive bought and used that tool many a times to finish the job.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

We also had a problem with the top nut on the front struts being rusted on. But a whizz-wheel, chisel, and hammer made a quick fix for that.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Out1aw
We also had a problem with the top nut on the front struts being rusted on. But a whizz-wheel, chisel, and hammer made a quick fix for that.
My passenger side one was rusted to all hell (only 38K miles, too...). After struggling for a couple hours, I took a drill, put 4 holes in it (2 on each side), and whacked it good with a chisle. No more nut.

I coated the crap out of it with some lithium grease lol.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

well after 4 hours of b/s with it, they are finally in and there is a noticable difference
Old 04-07-2007, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good, makes the 4 hrs. worth it!

Quick Reply: pain in the A$$ struts install