Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Control Arm Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arm Question.

As you can see I'm running D/R's w/ no suspension mods at all, I can pick up a set of control arms for pretty cheap. Will this help my nasty wheel hop?

Any other suggestions for minimal suspension mods that will greatly reduce wheel hop w/o breaking the bank??
Old 05-06-2007, 01:23 AM
Launching!

If you have lower control arms, then you are probably missing the relocation brackets. If you don't have lower control arms, buy some adjustable ones and relocation brackets. A friend of mine killed his 10-bolt because of wheel hop from LCAs without relocation brackets.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Curing wheel hop involves the use of good shocks, proper air pressure, good bushings. Relocating the control arms won't do it.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Curing wheel hop involves the use of good shocks, proper air pressure, good bushings. Relocating the control arms won't do it.
I beg to differ on that. Relocation brackets cure the problem of instant center on f-bodys. The IC is the imaginary point where the planes of the torque arm and lca's meet. it should be somewhere around the firewall area, but as it's set up from the factory, it's either 100's of feet infront of the car, or not there at all if the car has saggy springs. this thread on www.thirdgen.org really explains it well with pictures and everything: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/su...arm-angle.html
if this angle issue is not corrected, you will experience wheelhop when big power is applied with a sticky tire.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Question Ok..

Originally Posted by Out1aw
I beg to differ on that. Relocation brackets cure the problem of instant center on f-bodys. The IC is the imaginary point where the planes of the torque arm and lca's meet. it should be somewhere around the firewall area, but as it's set up from the factory, it's either 100's of feet infront of the car, or not there at all if the car has saggy springs. this thread on www.thirdgen.org really explains it well with pictures and everything: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/su...arm-angle.html
if this angle issue is not corrected, you will experience wheelhop when big power is applied with a sticky tire.
Is that so?? I guess my GN forgot to hop, when I applied enuf power to run 9's, at over 141...Stock location arms, good bushings in my control arms,[upper and lower] proper pinion angle, good shocks, HR antiroll bar. [HALS-12 setting design.]
Old 05-07-2007, 02:40 AM
Launching!

The wheels probably don't spin with sticky tires running 9's. My friend was spinning the tires when his wheel hop from missing relocation brackets tore teeth off his ring gear.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:35 AM
TECH Resident

Keep in mind a Buick GN has a completely different suspension setup than an Fbody.

LCAs and relo brackets completely cured my wheel hop problems.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by revtime
Keep in mind a Buick GN has a completely different suspension setup than an Fbody.

LCAs and relo brackets completely cured my wheel hop problems.
Exactly. This thread is about an F-body's constant problem of wheel hop and lack of attaining instant-center... not a turbo Buick...