Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Got a Z06 - do I need to change anything?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a Z06 - do I need to change anything?

I have this Z06 now -

https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-performance/718851-just-bought-sc-z06-somebody-wake-me.html

Car will be mostly daily driver, but I like to do the Road Atlanta track days every 3 mos. Is there any basic mods that need to be done to the Z before I hit the track. Don't want to spend a whole lot of money on car until I am sure I want to keep it over the TA. Will I need to do brakes? I have some unused syn fluid, so I might repl what is in there now. Will sway bars need to be upgraded to bigger? Just want to get car thru Jul weekend at Road Atlanta.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definately upgrade my cooling capabilities. I would get the LG Motorsports G2 supercool radiator with built in oil cooler. Your engine will thank you for keeping the oil temps in check and the coolant temps down.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

An affordable brake upgrade would be the Wilwood SL-6 front brake kit with some slotted rotors. I have those on my car and they have saved my *** numerous times.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

I am vigorously researching the cooling issues. the kit from A&A came today to put radiator back to original position and change air flow and maybe the intercoolers I think(?). I think the upgraded radiator with oil cooler will be a must. Car seems to want to run hot in stop and go traffice now. Water temp was up to 255 over the weekend in extreme stop and go. It has me concerned for Road Atlanta in the middle of July.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Banned

On a budget here's my advice:

The '05+ Z51 drilled slotted rotors are only $65 each wholsale.... add the brackets and you can use your Zo6 calipers with the rotors/brackets and have much better brakes for a small investment.

I'd buy some AmSoil/Royal Purple -oil/ tranny/ diff fluid,

160* thermostat if it doesn't have one yet....
Old 06-05-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you are running 255 in stop and go traffic you have a cooling problem for sure. Do you have the 160 stat? Are your fans coming on, and if so at what temp?

My cooling fans come on at 180 and 190 and my car also has an EWP and she runs very cool. Cooler temps keep the power up where it belongs. 255* is just way toooo hooootttttt. Hope you didn't mess anything up.

So get the 160 t stat, and make sure your fans are both coming on, and have them reprogrammed to come on at 180 for fan 1 and 190 for fan 2. That way you won't have to worry about over heating. Good luck bro.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WADDISME

I think the upgraded radiator with oil cooler will be a must.

Well give Bobby at LG Motorsports a call and get the G2 Supercool radiator, the number is in my sig. You will need to purchase the custom lines for the oil cooler adapter but let me tell you it is worth it. Some of the traffic jams that I got into last year over the summer here in Metro Detroit my car ran flawless. A/C on full blast and the engine stayed just below 200* in bumper to bumper traffic and 100+ degree temps. Let Bobby know I sent ya. (DOUG)
Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would suggest the spelling mod on !molding.

Just teasing. :thumbs:
Old 06-05-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

160* tstat, some coolers.
A lot of folks have good luck with some cheapy NAPA rotors, and chunking the rotors and pads at the end of the race day.
That's definitely on the budget I think.
That's about all before you start blowing through cash like a hooker with coke.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Looks like a nice Ride.

Superchargers don't work out that well on road courses. The Mustang Cobra's tend to "heat-soak" after ~15 minutes at Road Atlanta. Watch your temp's even with an oil cooler.

You will need an oil cooler. A bunch of us have had good success with the Doug Rippie Radiator/oil cooler combo. It comes with all the hoses & fittings, making it a reasonably easy install.

You will need to flush & replace the brake fluid. You can get by with Ford HD fluid... but many of us use Motul 600 which has a higher wet boiling temp.

The stock Z06 brake pads aren't bad if you are a newbe... good racing track pads are available from Wilwood ( H compound) or Carbotech (XP12 frt/XP10 rear). These pads are for the Track Only... and are NOT cheap.

Rotors on the other hand are CHEAP. Your local Napa dealer have them for ~ $30.00 each. Rotors are disposible at that price... and new rotors should last you a weekend.

If you are new to Road Atlanta... the stock suspension settings should be fine. Also the Goodyear supercar street tires are fine.

Otherwise, you will want a track alignment... more neg. camber etc., and maybe a good Dot " R " tire.

With a good driver, the stock or nearly stock C-5 Z06's are fast at Road Atlanta.

GOD knows how fast you are likely to be with your car.

Have FUN & keep the shiney side UP !!!

Cya @ the track,

Trumper
Old 06-06-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

I may do the 160 thermo while I have the car apart for the A&A kit. I will be in the B Class so I will be pushing the car pretty hard. When I took the the TA there back in Dec, I put the cheap Autozone rotors on with Hawk track pads and the syn fluid. It made such a difference. I could get almost a full 30 min session in before they would start to fade, and that was using them alot. Seems like a good plan here except not do the track pads yet (they are expensive!). Just have to see how the cooling issues shake out after getting the kit on.

Thanks for the imput.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Launching!

I would definetly recommend the 160 stat. Mine use to run on the hot side as well in bumper to bumper traffic. After the h/c/i swap which inlucded a 160 stat, My coolant never gets over 198.

Quick Reply: Got a Z06 - do I need to change anything?