Damn army people called me..

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn army people called me..

The guy calls telling me about how im like the "1st round 1st pick" and i can get into any field i want since i scored high on the asvab, i tell the guy i plan on going to college after high school. He starts telling me about all they have to offer and ****..I tell him ya..i plan on going to college, if i change my mind ill let you know trying not to be rude. He asked if we wanted to meet somewhere to talk about it and i was like no thx..

Those guys are persistent..
Old 07-03-2007, 05:00 PM

That's pretty unpersistent for the Millitary guys I've met...
Old 07-03-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had several guys on my case for a loooong time. You cant listen to a damn thing that recruiters say, 3/4 of them are full of ****, and the other 1/4 of them will tell you that the others are full of ****.

The major high point is that they will pay for your education though!
Old 07-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Fiery Features Director

Seems like they give everyone the same line. They called me once every 3 months from the time I was 18 to the time I was 21 and then they changed it to every 6 months. I think they finally got the hint when I cussed them out somewhere around age 24. I understand trying to enlist people who are interested, but they are worse than telemarketers. They even try to make you feel guilty if you don't want to sign up. What really pissed me off is when I told them I had a child to take care of and they said that I could allow his father to take custody. WHAT? Hell no! I wanted to find that guy and beat the crap out of him.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

I agree with you all that they are pushy but you have no idea the kind of stress they are under. That is the single worst job in the military.<<--5 years active duty USMC. I'd rather be in combat than recruiting.

Last edited by edwardswb; 07-03-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:19 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edwardswb
I agree with you all that they are pushy but you have no idea the kind of stress they are under. That is the single worst job in the military.
11 years in the Army and I concur.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

Wait till one corners you, it happen to me twice. On top of the calls. The best thing is to be rude, they will not take a hint so tell them strait up to stop calling and leave you the **** alone. Be sure to say ****....lol. I was sitting in the in the cafeteria one day at college when one attacked me. I ended tell him that the army was a waste of time. You should have seen the look on his face, he got pissed. He try to give me the "it will pay for college deal" I replied that my dad was putting me through college. You just gotta get shitty with them.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TWS
11 years in the Army and I concur.
Todd I had no clue you served, what were you?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by craz1469
I ended tell him that the army was a waste of time. You should have seen the look on his face, he got pissed.
Dang, I hope you didn't mean it and were just saying that so he'd leave you alone.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

that was about ten minutes into it and he wasn't getting the picture. Drastic times called for drastic measures. And no I don't believe that. But it work
Old 07-03-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive never had them really bother me, the army, navy, and marines called my house maybe once or twice, but that was it. Told them i wasnt interested and that was that. And yes they will pay for your college, if you make it out alive. I would rather pay my own college and be in debt for a while. Dont get me wrong, i respect anyone who can/wants to do that, but its just not for me.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Teching In

They can get annoying but you have to think about it. They want to talk to you even less then you want to talk to then. I would say about 98.9% of these people do request recruiting orders. And sure you can deny them but you back to regular life if thats the case.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:59 PM

I work with a couple ex-Marine Recruiters and they're both really nice guys... Course now we're all executive recruiters so... Haha
Old 07-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

I signed up for the NAVY and leave sept 5, well one day the army called and was trying to get me to sign up. I just told them that i already had signed up for the navy and his response was that I made a bad decision, havent heard from them since. About a month later the Air Force calls me up, told him the same thing and he was cool about it. If u dont want them calling u all the time just tell them u signed with another branch they wont mess with u anymore.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:08 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTO JIMMY
Todd I had no clue you served, what were you?
Could have sworn I told you that I was at Hood. Thought we had a short "Army **** talking session" once between races and making fun of ricers.

Anyway, hit me up at the street meet and I'll tell you some lies.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Banned

Funny story, I got a call about 6 months ago from the Army recruiter in my hometown trying to get me to join. I swear I think I broke his heart when I told him that I already joined through a recruiter from one town over lol. He didnt believe me at first!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TWS
Could have sworn I told you that I was at Hood. Thought we had a short "Army **** talking session" once between races and making fun of ricers.

Anyway, hit me up at the street meet and I'll tell you some lies.
Hell if I remember, hasn't it been like 2 years since we met up in Austin? Sure feels like it...
Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

tell them you're in DEP with the air force and you're leaving next week and they'll mark you off the list.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by woswill
The guy calls telling me about how im like the "1st round 1st pick" and i can get into any field i want since i scored high on the asvab, i tell the guy i plan on going to college after high school. He starts telling me about all they have to offer and ****..I tell him ya..i plan on going to college, if i change my mind ill let you know trying not to be rude. He asked if we wanted to meet somewhere to talk about it and i was like no thx..

Those guys are persistent..
You think its over? It will never be over.....

Originally Posted by edwardswb
I agree with you all that they are pushy but you have no idea the kind of stress they are under. That is the single worst job in the military.
Couple Stories on that....

Had an NCO go to recruiting school, he said "If you have a problem with lying to people, don't go recruiting."

My drill said he knew a guy that went recruiting (top notch NCO) and did good at one station. Army saw that and sent him to a not so good station to see if he could bring numbers up. 1st time he missed his quota, Recruiting Command ripped his *** apart. Long story short, he didn't reenlist.

Recruiters are some of my least favorite people in the world.... well their tactics are at least.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

I think the recruiters should ease off a little, and respect the wishes of someone who asks them politely to not call again. Hopefully they have a computer system with a feature to remove people from their calling list. Even the Jehovah's Witnesses aren't this persistent, and getting called every 3 or 6 months consistently is a form of harassment (even though it is for a worthy organization and effort). Respect for privacy still has to be honored, and it shouldn't require people having to say **** or getting pissed off to have their privacy respected.