Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header install questions PLEASE help me out

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question header install questions PLEASE help me out

Ok i started my header install today but didn't get to far. I got the egr all off and done and all the plug wires off except for the back 2 on the passenger side. My first question is Where is the bolt that holds the dip stick tube? I'm pretty sure its on the bottom but i couldn't see it down there anywhere. Heres a pic i took. I know its not a good pic of it but maybe someone can point it out to me.

My next question is how in the world do i get those 2 back plug wires off the passenger side? I just cant seem to get any room to grab them.

My next problem is i ran into came from the AIR system. Igot everything off except for the thing behind the drivers side head. I could not find a bolt anywhere to take it off. I was also trying to see the vaccum line that needs to be pluged from it. Heres a pic of the piece i'm talking about hopefully some can help me find out how to get this off and point out to me where the line is that needs to be plugged.

I know i didn't get to far on the install but hopefully some of you guys can help me figure this out. PLEASE. Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as the dip stick tube, the bolt is by the flange for the header. Other then that its just an o ring pressed in. You have to pull very very very hard. I couldn't get mine out, so i hooked up an engine hoist to the brakcet, and it popped out.

The spark plugs on the passenger side suck. You will probably be bleeding when your done. , anyways, you just gota stick your arm back there and get them out. I did mine without to much problem, if you have big hands/forearms, maybe try to get a friend to get back there for you....

For the air pump to come out here is a how to with pics from ls1tech.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...02#post7566902

Good luck, Its a pain, but when your done you will be so happy.

Chris
Old 08-14-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Are you sure you should be doing this install yourself if you cant find where the dipstick goes?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a bolt in the middle of the passengers side head right above the exhaust manifold that holds the dipstick in place. Best bet is to remove the coilpacks to have a better angle at it. For the AIR, there is a bolt on the back of the drivers side head that needs to come out to get that piece removed. As far as the spark plug wires... it should be easier once the coils are off. Good luck!!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guys. Order 66 I know where the dipstick goes but I just couldn't find the bolt to remove the dipstick tube. Also on the AIR thing behind the drivers side head. Where exactly is the tube that needs to be plugged. I also broke this line that goes to that AIR piece. I have the line i broke circled in red in this pic. Is this a problem or does it come off anyways?

Thanks again guys
Old 08-14-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I plugged that line up with a plastic retainer clip. Just make sure it doesnt leak any...
Old 08-14-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Like they said, the dipstick tube bolt is right in the middle of the pass head. That whole junction piece (the piece that the vacuum you circled connects to) actually comes off. Theres a bolt on the back of the drivers side head that holds that black metal bracket on. Its 15mm if I remember correctly. All you have to do is loosen it and the bracket will slide off. After that just keep pulling the tubing out from the drivers side and from behind the intake manifold to the passengers side.

After you do that you can either cap that tube that you circled or you can remove the hose and the electrical connector. After that there will be one tube that is not connected to anything. That will then connect to the back of the intake manifold. You have to cap that or youll have a vacuum leak. Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm bout to go get started again. Hopefully i'll atleast get the manifolds off today. Thanks again guys.