Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV setup

I have a 98 TA and just switched over to centerbolt valve covers. I am going to run a Norris catch can and the valve covers I have just have a grommet for the pcv like the 5.3 trucks and tahoes run. What are my best options to hook up the catch can line to the motor? Should I just to run a pcv valve out of the grommet and then run the hose to the catch can or have some of you guys found an elbow that will do away with the pcv and allow you to run the line that way.

I was thinking of doing the LS6 conversion but it seems to have the same result as the stock pcv and I do not see the point of doing the LS6 and the catch can. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

not on subject, but kick *** AMX in your avatar.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to pull vac through a PCV as stock, run 1 line from the catch can to the drivers side rear cover to suction the crankcase vapors, plug every other valve cover vent, get a small cleanable (K&N) filter, drill out the oil fill cap & press in a brass barb to slide the filter on to & you are set with a system that eliminates 90% of any intake oil contamination, has a good catch can to seperate the oil/water/blow-by gasses to liquid that can be drained, and no unfiltered fresh air source to wreck your motor over time (as far to many have with open hoses dangling). The system then pulls good vacum that is metered at idle & low RPM, and has plenting of filtered venting for the high RPM crank case pressure to pulse back w/out oil contamination into the air coupler/TB source.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

I run a catch can and two separators. Admittedly, it's not as nice a catch can as yours, but it was still allowing oil vapor to sneak past. I have all but removed that now as the second separator has A LOT less residue in it than the first one.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by radz282003
I run a catch can and two separators. Admittedly, it's not as nice a catch can as yours, but it was still allowing oil vapor to sneak past. I have all but removed that now as the second separator has A LOT less residue in it than the first one.
2 are a good solution.....are they baffeled? For a crank case catch can to work it needs a baffel system in side it for more area for the gases to "bang" against the baffels or some other media (steel wool, etc.) to condense & seperate the vapors.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys. I will run the pcv valve and then hook it to the catch can.

My AMX is my first true love but the TA has deffinately been more fun to mod with the wide variety of aftemarket parts to choose from.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did the SMH pcv mod! my pcv valve now runs after my catch can! it works great my filters have a little crud in them from oil trying to pass through!!
Old 01-23-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does everyone do with the oil that is caught in the can? just dump it or put it back in the engine?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

yep,,i never even tried to mod my 70 Javelin,, but the TA gets all kinds of love!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"What does everyone do with the oil that is caught in the can? just dump it or put it back in the engine?"

Dump it
Old 01-23-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I dump mine cause it tends to get water in it from time to time from condisation. I ran mine like this. I ran a line from teh back of the driver side, then ran off the back of the passenger side valve cover to a T where i connected the hose from the other valve cover then from that T to the Catch Can which I put in right behind my fog light. Mine has a drain on it and I drilled a hole in teh bottom of that plastic where i mounted the can so I can drain it without hoving to remove anything under the bumper. Then I plugged the front vent on the passenger valve cover and plugged the intake where it went in.