Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Coil Over Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coil Over Help?

I am looking to lower my 99' Trans Am. I think the kind of suspension that you can adjust is called coil over. I drive my car in the winter so I would like to be able to raise it up. Any one know of any kinds or pictures or prices or just any advice? Thanks a lot.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The front is easy. We have QA1 and AFCO adjustable replacement shocks for the front. You just adjust ride height. On the rear there are 2 way to go about this.

1. QA1 or AFCO coil over conversion. This will replace the factort shock and spring with a coil over type shock. You can adjust up and down.
2. Adjustable spring mount. This welds into the existing upper spring perch and replaces the rear spring. Also adjustable.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

The koni 4/4 and 4/3 shocks are adjustable, you adjust the ride height a little bit and give you a great ride.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, I posted this thread twice. Here is 00'blkss's response:

Originally Posted by 00'blkss
i have the qa1 coil overs and they r great i have had them on there for about 3 years and have had no probs out of them
Originally Posted by 00'blkss
dont remember i bought them with all tubular front suspension but made a huge difference in the ride and handeling but i will try to find out how much i paid
I will delete the other one. Thanks and sorry for any confusion.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iceman15
The koni 4/4 and 4/3 shocks are adjustable, you adjust the ride height a little bit and give you a great ride.
So would these let me lower my car say 1 to 3 inches in the summer and then let me raise it back up for the winter? I don't really care about how the ride feels. Just how it looks.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by iceman15
The Koni's are adjustable in rebound and compression...NOT ride height. They are not a coilover shock.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Actually.... Koni SA's are only adjustable in rebound. You need DA's if you need compression damping (and most don't, including me). Technically Koni SA fronts do adjust height because they have two different perch heights to pick from. They are NOT fully adjustable like a threaded coil-over.

And the fronts are coil-overs (as are the stock ones) because the coil spring is over the damper. That's what makes a coil-over a coil-over. Adjustable height coil-overs are the ones that are threaded for at will height changes.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Adjustable height coil-overs are the ones that are threaded for at will height changes.
That is what I want. Anyone know much about those.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's what I posted before.

Quick Reply: Coil Over Help?