LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1/2 tank of gas just idling ? wtf?... and roller rockers clicking??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2 tank of gas just idling ? wtf?... and roller rockers clicking??

1)--hey guys i just got my hotcam in and just idling and today i was trying to adjust my rockers and i've gone through 1/2 tank of gas.. is this normal? it's running open headers and i'm assuming the o2 sensors being in the open collector it's causing the PCM to over compensate (it smells rich) it also seems to be loading up pretty bad and stalled once. what do you think??

2)--(also how do i know when the roller rockers are adjusted good enough, it seems no matter how much i tighten them there is still a slight click, should there be NO clicking)???

thanks!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Open headersd will allow fresh air back to the O2s and it will run rich.

I can't see how you could get them adjusted by ear open headers.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

well thats what i thought at first but tried to give it a shot anyway and when you put your head close you can hear it fine. The thing is is there supposed to be ANY clicking? I don't want to go to tight and pop a lifter you know.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do it with the engine off. then you dont have to deal with oil squirting all over the place and you can take your time without going through a 1/2 tank of gas.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
do it with the engine off. then you dont have to deal with oil squirting all over the place and you can take your time without going through a 1/2 tank of gas.
yeah, thats really just the better way to do it.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Did you have it tuned for the cam?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

I already did do it with the engine off. that didn't work there was a ton of clicking going on and guys.. oil does not squirt everywhere when you do this idk if you guys have done it before but i just stuck a clean piece of cardboard in the head and its fine.. not a drop of oil anywhere. I just was wondering if it's b/c of the open headers that it went through so much gas ? and should there be any clicking at all with the rockers or absolutely none?
Old 03-23-2008, 04:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have some RRs and they never seem to be quiet, they've always clicked a bit. It's why a lot of guys end up using the LT4 knock module.
The biggest thing is that there isn't a bunch of play in the rocker. It should stay put.
I've tried doing it with the motor running and I've done it while not running and after a few times you kinda get a feel for it. Not running is probably the preferred method for me. I once got engulfed in flames while adjusting the rockers with the motor running because some oil spilling on the headers ignited. Nothing damaged but my pride and a bunch of hair. But it was "interesting".
Old 03-23-2008, 05:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It with have some noise so long as it is not a clack! It will sound much like a sewing machine.
Yes the open exhaust caused your o2s to freak and compensate dumping all your fuel.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Refer to proper valvelash and adjustment elsewhere in the forum.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Only problem with static adjustment is the person doing the static adjustment and what instructions they used.

It works fine so long as you learn what zero lash is.
I know most instructions say to spin the pushrod till you feel resistance BUT that almost always results in too much lash as the oily pushrod in oily cups spins pretty freely till there is a lot of tension on it.

Zero lash is pretty easy to find with poly locks just turn them down with your fingers till they touch and check to make sure there is no vertical pushrod movement between the lifter and rocker.

I have tried everything from 1/8 turn to 5/8 and found no real difference. I think those who find they need as little lash as possible are bandaiding a float problem.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

ok ya guys, I'm going to just wait until i have an exhaust on the darn thing so i can hear better lol. I kind of figured the o2's were dumping my fuel. I figured there was going to be some ticking with the rr's I'll just make sure there's no clacking like you say. thanks guys.

one more thing just out of curiosity what are the o2 sensors telling the pcm and why does it dump fuel.. like technically? jw thanks!
Old 03-23-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The O2's were/are seeing more air than fuel and adjusting the A/F ratio they best they could based on what readings they were taking. Since they were flooded with fresh air it was determining a lean condition when it actually was running pig rich
Old 03-23-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gatorhead
The O2's were/are seeing more air than fuel and adjusting the A/F ratio they best they could based on what readings they were taking. Since they were flooded with fresh air it was determining a lean condition when it actually was running pig rich

right. okay thats exactly what i figured. I just wanted to make 100% sure you know thanks man! when i get my duals on next weekend she'll go back to normal.
and then maybe i can adjust the rockers easier
Old 03-23-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

ya it actually loaded up one time and stalled and i had to wait for it to dry out and try starting again took a few cranks.. kinda bugged me thats all
Old 03-23-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

I have tried everything from 1/8 turn to 5/8 and found no real difference. I think those who find they need as little lash as possible are bandaiding a float problem.
I've noticed the same also. I have a freakish set of Pro-Mags that are the quietest I've ever heard. I've got them at 1/4 Turn and they're only a hair louder than 1/2 Turn. I haven't really noticed any difference in performance, but I've been told lighter preloads are easier on the valvetrain. Not sure if there's any merit in that, but it's been echoed to me by a few very knowledgeable people.

As far as dynamic lashing, it's really easy. More often than not, you will find zero lash when you feel resistance on the poly lock. I have really tough hands so when I do it I dont wear gloves, but I would recommend them.

I loosen the set screw. Back off the poly lock till the rocker starts clacking. then using your hand (since you can get more precise movement than a clunky rachet) turn the poly lock slowly until the clacking stops (usually as I said when you feel the resistance start). Set your preload per lifters: 1/8;1/4;1/2;3/4 Turn. Then as usually keep the wrench on the poly lock and tighten that damn set screw Move to next rocker..
Old 03-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Wow...definately different than on my GT40 heads. 26ftlb and lock it. Why are there lash adjustments? I do not understand that. Are the rockers that much heavier that it nees there to be lash?

Chris
Old 03-23-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

how much oiling do you guys get when you are doing this? when I was some oil was basically streaming out of 1 or 2 rockers and others it was barely coming out..
Old 03-23-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by seawalkersee
Wow...definately different than on my GT40 heads. 26ftlb and lock it. Why are there lash adjustments? I do not understand that. Are the rockers that much heavier that it nees there to be lash?

Chris
Preload is dictated by the lifter. I think due to how aftermarket roller rockers are designed they differ from just torquing down the stock rockers to a specific value.

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
how much oiling do you guys get when you are doing this? when I was some oil was basically streaming out of 1 or 2 rockers and others it was barely coming out..

when doing it with engine running, at idle there shouldn't be a lot of oil with the stock pump. Rev it up and it will be a different story.

Matt
Old 03-23-2008, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by buffman
Preload is dictated by the lifter. I think due to how aftermarket roller rockers are designed they differ from just torquing down the stock rockers to a specific value.

when doing it with engine running, at idle there shouldn't be a lot of oil with the stock pump. Rev it up and it will be a different story.

Matt

i think he was refering too his ford heads----gt40....