Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Zip-Tie Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:59 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Zip-Tie Mod

First off you can do a basically free mod. The zip tie mod. On my 2002 it was worth 15.8RWHP and 11.4 lb/ft of Tq.

Stock Box assembly

Other than a slightly bigger opening, the box portion is the same. So, you don't need to buy a new Z06 intake. Any C5 intake will work just fine.

I used the factory clamps. I simply removed the factory metal straps and replaced them with shorter one made from wire ties. This allows for consistent pressure to the filter frame.

Here Mc Rat's car. They just wrapped the ties around the box. I re-used the factory hardware to allow you to change the filter.

Hope this helps...

Originally Posted by McRat
It take 50 cents worth of Zip Ties and takes 10-15 minutes to do. It is easily reversible in 10 min.

Steps:

Unplug electrical connector to MAF. You have to first pull out the gray clip, then squeeze the black part to release.
Loosen clamp at inlet of throttle body.
Disconnect air tube on drivers side of airbox.
Pop off airbox cover at the grommets in the very front.
Remove entire Airbox, Filter, MAF, neck assy as a unit.
Set assy on table.
Undo 2 bands/clips that release airfilter. Rotate these 90 deg and they will pop off.
Lift off top cover and set aside.
Daisy chain 3-4 Zip Ties to make one long one that will reach around entire lower airbox, filter, and filter cage. Make two.
Tighten zips as tight as you can get them.
Reinstall, don't forget to tighten hose clamp at throttle body.

Seriously, it took me less than 15 mins, and required just a flat blade screwdriver.

Logic used stainless wire to replace the zip ties in his box. Again, the same result

Originally Posted by Logic
I decided to do the initial mod today. I decided to make mine with stainless steel welding rod bent to shape & I can still use my release clips to open & close it to clean the filter etc. I am about to go back out now & remove the air pump hose & plug the box where that hole is. I am going to use a breather filter on the air pump so it won’t be drawing air out of the intake box. I’m not sure if it really matters but I figured why not if I have the stuff handy. I got my hood seal & am going to put that on now also. Here are some pics I shot after I bent up the straps & put them on.

Here are my dyno charts of before and after to show the delta.
Horsepower

Torque
Attached Thumbnails Zip-Tie Mod-07l.jpg   Zip-Tie Mod-user-logic-airfiltermod-001.jpg   Zip-Tie Mod-user-logic-airfiltermod-002.jpg   Zip-Tie Mod-jan-05-2003_001.jpg   Zip-Tie Mod-jan-05-2003_009.jpg  

Zip-Tie Mod-jan-05-2003_011.jpg   Zip-Tie Mod-jan-05-2003_014.jpg   Zip-Tie Mod-jan-05-2003_018.jpg   Zip-Tie Mod-dyno.jpg   Zip-Tie Mod-dyno-tq.jpg  

Last edited by J-Rod; 09-04-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow- What a great first *free mod*!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Teching In

What do you do with the air tube when you do the zip tie mod?

Does it still attach normally?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:28 AM

Still attaches normally.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Wouldn't this mod increase risk of getting water in the intake? Just curious if those that have done this and if that was an issue
Old 03-06-2017, 11:23 AM

No, not really. The intake sits at the same point it sat at before. So getting water up in the intake would be the same (you have to drive into fairly deep water to ingest water). So this mod won't change that.

What it would do however is in some cases allow water to drip from the hood directly onto the filter. The biggest issue is probably when the vehicle is sitting in the rain, or being washed. In that case you have a couple of options.

Cut up a stock cover so the water drips off past the filter
Use a cotton filter instead of paper that won't degrade if it gets wet (K&N, etc...)
Put in a hood seal that keeps water from dripping onto the filter

My filter gets a little wet when I wash the car and I raise the hood but I am still running a paper filter without issues.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Makes sense, thank you for the reply. I might try this out over the weekend. Will save me 300$ on a vararam
Old 06-18-2017, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is basically the same concept of the X-Air OTR intake.

Glad I found this. For the price of a K&N filter and a couple of zip ties you can get nearly the same benefit as a Vararam or Halltech.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:11 PM

Default Cutting the shroud

Originally Posted by J-Rod
No, not really. The intake sits at the same point it sat at before. So getting water up in the intake would be the same (you have to drive into fairly deep water to ingest water). So this mod won't change that.

What it would do however is in some cases allow water to drip from the hood directly onto the filter. The biggest issue is probably when the vehicle is sitting in the rain, or being washed. In that case you have a couple of options.

Cut up a stock cover so the water drips off past the filter
Use a cotton filter instead of paper that won't degrade if it gets wet (K&N, etc...)
Put in a hood seal that keeps water from dripping onto the filter

My filter gets a little wet when I wash the car and I raise the hood but I am still running a paper filter without issues.
I want to try this mod, but read in other places people cut the radiator shroud, which I don't want to do. Did you do this or did you see improvement even without cutting?

Quick Reply: Zip-Tie Mod