Search

LT1-LT4 Modifications
1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is this normal?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
12 Second Club

Trader Rating: 1
Default Is this normal?

I was thinking about taking my stock catback off and just sticking a flowmaster single chamber on the end of the Y pipe... so I get under there to look...

From the back of the cat all the way to the muffler it is just one single pipe. That isn't the way my LS1 was... It's welded to the cat, then bends towards the center of the car, gets near the driveshaft and turns straight back and goes up and over the axle to the catback. Were LT1's like that, or is something weird here?

I'm not really sure what to do now because one of the main things I liked about that plan was I wouldn't have to destroy anything.

'00 Trans Am WS6 A4 NBM
Mods: Debaffled/Sealed hood, SLP Lid, Shaner S2 Ported TB w. Bypass, LS6 Intake Manifold, Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" H-pipe w. Flowmaster 10-Series Mufflers, Yank SS3600, Nitto 555R's, GLM Tune => 12.21@110.8
Speedmonster185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
TECH Apprentice

yes that is right for LT1 cars to have the pipe run next to the drive shaft. About the only muffler you can "stick" on the end of the y-pipe is a bullet type muffler. You can put a flowmaster in there but it will require some fabrication of the exhaust
TABBED 5.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
12 Second Club

Is it normal for it to be one single pipe right off the end of the cat (welded to it) all the way to the catback?

'00 Trans Am WS6 A4 NBM
Mods: Debaffled/Sealed hood, SLP Lid, Shaner S2 Ported TB w. Bypass, LS6 Intake Manifold, Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" H-pipe w. Flowmaster 10-Series Mufflers, Yank SS3600, Nitto 555R's, GLM Tune => 12.21@110.8
Old 03-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
TECH Regular

Trader Rating: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedmonster185 View Post
Is it normal for it to be one single pipe right off the end of the cat (welded to it) all the way to the catback?
Yup. Then two exits off the muffler, I thought this is how LS1's were also.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
TECH Senior Member

Trader Rating: 3
Send a message via ICQ to Formula350 Send a message via AIM to Formula350 Send a message via MSN to Formula350 Send a message via Yahoo to Formula350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedmonster185 View Post
All the 98+ exhaust I'm seeing, even most aftermarket stuff, single pipe just like the 93-97. I've not seen what the setup on the 98+ looks like though, and I'm not at work to look at the exhaust book to check. Either way, your LT1's is normal.

Planned: Polyurethane kit, IAT Relocation (closer to filter), Custom CAI.
"If your car doesn't run 12's, shorten the track" - Urban (x3Dfx Forum)
Formula350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
TECH Addict

Send a message via AIM to myltwon Send a message via MSN to myltwon

if your z28 is a 93-95 it will have a single cat setup, all 96-02 fbodies have dual cat like you're used to

2004 Dodge Durango Limited - 4WD, 5.7 Hemi, stock for now
myltwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9

what your talking about though with the cat being welded to it i dont think it is normal...somebody didnt clamp like it should have been done and they welded it...come out and i have a bunch of lt1 stuff..i could hook you up...i know exactly what your wanting to do...i live in crawfordsville so
Old 03-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
TECH Senior Member

Trader Rating: 3
Send a message via ICQ to Formula350 Send a message via AIM to Formula350 Send a message via MSN to Formula350 Send a message via Yahoo to Formula350

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretthise View Post
what your talking about though with the cat being welded to it i dont think it is normal...somebody didnt clamp like it should have been done and they welded it...come out and i have a bunch of lt1 stuff..i could hook you up...i know exactly what your wanting to do...i live in crawfordsville so
Unless it's a band clamp, I'd rather have it welded (unless it's a shitty weld lol). I wouldn't say that clamping it is the "proper" way to go about it. If it is factory flanged, then either adapting the intermediate pipe with flanges or welding it off of the vehicle and bolting it up, would be what one should do. Then band clamp before crush clamp.

Planned: Polyurethane kit, IAT Relocation (closer to filter), Custom CAI.
"If your car doesn't run 12's, shorten the track" - Urban (x3Dfx Forum)
Formula350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:23 AM   #9
12 Second Club

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was talking about basically. haha, what could you be "hooking me up" with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula350 View Post
Unless it's a band clamp, I'd rather have it welded (unless it's a shitty weld lol).
It is. Lol. I JB Welded around the seam too because it had some nasty leaks. Didn't smell so nice for a little while because of it, but now it's just fine and no more leaks

'00 Trans Am WS6 A4 NBM
Old 03-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
TECH Regular

Trader Rating: 0

add the short dynomax Shotgun resonator. it will sound something like this. here is a vid of my iroc, which has LT's, 4" of crossover pipe, the shotgun resonator, dumped to the ground 90* right under the passanger seat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CMXVUpqoNs

1996 Formula T-Top LT1 T56 - DD -full bolt ons and suspension.
http://www.myspace.com/impaled1996formula
1985 IROC - carbed 355 SBC strip screamer.
http://www.myspace.com/impaled1985iroc
impaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
TECH Resident

Quote:
That is correct. Theyr welded to the collector. Kinda weird though, but it is stock.
93TAJ.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement