LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Having issues! Need your guys' help ASAP.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Having issues! Need your guys' help ASAP.

Heres the story, sorry for the length but you'll understand it better.
So I just got done installing my Dynatech LT's and a few other replacement parts and gaskets on my 93 Formula. Well I got everything back together and it all went well. (Open headers ) Now mind you I don't have my o2 sensors hooked up cause i'm waiting for my 4 wire Heated o2's to arrive. So me and my buddy went and took it for a test drive cause i'm impatient. The car ran great but just a little rich on the fuel is all and so I went and did quite a few pulls with it just cause it's impossible not to get on it with open headers and naturally my SES light came on after awhile but didnt affect anything.

After 2 days of just a little driving around I came to a stop light and out of the blue I took off and it started "ticking" sort of like a header leak in a way
(but it's not). Well i drove home and it seemed like it was under powered. Still starts fine, don't smoke, oil pressure is good (60 PSI+) but has that ticking sound that follows the RPM of the motor but it's only the drivers side that does it.

Did a compression check last night and all cylinders are about 120+ PSI and they hold the pressure. Spark plugs are fine except maybe #5 which looked maybe a little bit more wet, not sure. Wires aren't burnt or anything. It almost sounds like it's "detonating" or pinging on just that side of the motor on one cylinder. Took the Valve cover off while it was running and everything looked like it should.

What the hell could be happening? Would the 02 sensors cause the computer to make a lean condition or something? I just don't know what would cause this?

Anybody have an idea??

Thanks
Old 04-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like exhaust leak, tighten your header bolts one more time. Also check to make sure a plug wire is not arching on the header. Also sounds like it could be leaking at the collector. What kind of header bolts did you get to replace the stockers? I had some crappy ones from advanced but they kept backing out so I went with 1 inch arp bolts and haven't had a problem since
Old 04-01-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glassjaw1704
sounds like exhaust leak, tighten your header bolts one more time. Also check to make sure a plug wire is not arching on the header. Also sounds like it could be leaking at the collector. What kind of header bolts did you get to replace the stockers? I had some crappy ones from advanced but they kept backing out so I went with 1 inch arp bolts and haven't had a problem since
Idk, i've given up on the header issue since I pulled it off and red siliconed the gasket and header flange to see if that would help but got nothing. I used the regular header bolts that came with my headers. It sounds like it's in the motor somewhere.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

could be a sticky lifter. I have had a few of those and they can drive you nuts. Can you post a video?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glassjaw1704
could be a sticky lifter. I have had a few of those and they can drive you nuts. Can you post a video?
I thought about that also, but I would think it would maybe go away after awhile or something. It just feels underpowered and has an odd note coming from the drivers header when I rev it. Almost like its missing on a cylinder but with a tick?
I just don't understand how it just started happening out of nowhere.

I can try to post a vid later today maybe.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Possibly a pin hole or small crack in the headder or flange?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a cold start I would run over to each collector real quick and make sure ther is not a leak down at the collector where all the pipes go into it. A weld could have cracked and caused a leak down there. I had a leak on some LPP's down there that I thought was a sticking lifter or a light rod knock. It has been the biggest PITA but I think I finally got it under control. If you need to see what I am talking about here are the posts I made about it. https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...er-w-pics.html
Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Pull the right side valve cover, bring each of the right bank cylinders to TDC and see if you've got a pushrod that has waaay too much slack. - minutes well spent for peace of mind.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaycenk
On a cold start I would run over to each collector real quick and make sure ther is not a leak down at the collector where all the pipes go into it. A weld could have cracked and caused a leak down there. I had a leak on some LPP's down there that I thought was a sticking lifter or a light rod knock. It has been the biggest PITA but I think I finally got it under control. If you need to see what I am talking about here are the posts I made about it. https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...er-w-pics.html
Thanks I will check that out, Only difference is that the Dynatech's have slip on collectors that bolt on to the primaries so it could be possible that they came loose?

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Pull the right side valve cover, bring each of the right bank cylinders to TDC and see if you've got a pushrod that has waaay too much slack. - minutes well spent for peace of mind.
I'll definately give that a try, I looked at the rockers while it was running and they looked fine but who knows.

If I had a cylinder missfire, would that cause any sort of "ticking" "pfft" type sound at all? would like to rule that out if possible. An injector maybe? it definately has the sound towards the bottom of the motor though.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Did you have all the rockers off?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe you burned a plug wire and it is arcing out on the headers?

Otherwise, rod knock.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93BlackZ28
Did you have all the rockers off?
Nah I never touched them and they felt like they were just fine.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05HD
Maybe you burned a plug wire and it is arcing out on the headers?

Otherwise, rod knock.
The plug wires arent burnt from what I can tell and im really dreading that it's the bottom end knocking.......
Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
The plug wires arent burnt from what I can tell and im really dreading that it's the bottom end knocking.......
If you didn't have it before the headers chances are it's an exhaust leak or wire problem. before you go calling it a rod knock I would look real good at knock counts, The exhaust system, Plug wires and try swaping the sensors and see if it follows if you have one in each header. I thought I had a rod knock and low and behold after having a fresh engine built for it, I had the same sound when I got the new one up and running. I couldn't belive how much that exhaust leak sounded like a rod knock. It even had some mechanics fooled when I started it for them.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaycenk
If you didn't have it before the headers chances are it's an exhaust leak or wire problem. before you go calling it a rod knock I would look real good at knock counts, The exhaust system, Plug wires and try swaping the sensors and see if it follows if you have one in each header. I thought I had a rod knock and low and behold after having a fresh engine built for it, I had the same sound when I got the new one up and running. I couldn't belive how much that exhaust leak sounded like a rod knock. It even had some mechanics fooled when I started it for them.
Thats what just stumps me, car ran beautiful before and after the headers until the second day I drove it and out of the f***ing blue this tick showed up and I just cant figure it out. Im going to get some new plug wires just cause Im not sure how old mine are anyway and they are Delcos'.

Would a loose spark plug do this? they seemed tight when I pulled em but who knows.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a crazy one, we had a car in the shop for a cam swap, customer drove it in, we checked it, everything was good,then the mechanic started working on it, After the new cam, started it up and is sounded exactly like a rod was knocking, Long story short, it turned out to be carbon build up in the cylinders, How? who the hell knows, Moisture made the carbon swell up? but I'm telling you it was loud, We ran some GM top end cleaner and all was good..Another thing you can do with the valve covers off is while the engine is running, push down on each rocker (With a rag) and see if the ticking goes away, if so, that cylinder is the culprit.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe a spark plug is loose.. Ive seen taht before Wires dont tick
Old 04-02-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=moehorsepower;..Another thing you can do with the valve covers off is while the engine is running, push down on each rocker (With a rag) and see if the ticking goes away, if so, that cylinder is the culprit.[/QUOTE]

If you push on the push rod end, the valve will "clack" and then should shut up when you release it.

Al
Old 04-02-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speedracer2536
Maybe a spark plug is loose.. Ive seen taht before Wires dont tick
Only if they are arching, but yea I have had problems some times with the plugs not being all the way tight. A lot of times the plug sockets bottom out on the heads before the plug is seated and makes you think its tight. I had the same thing happen when I did my headers. put a plug in and the socket bottomed out. about a week later I checked them and 1 was only finger tight.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay so i'm going to check a few more things.

My uncle suggested that maybe an injector was bad and was leaning out a cylinder causing the tick.

I'll try the rocker arm deal

can the spark plug wires arc even if they are good wires? how can I prevent this?

Quick Reply: Having issues! Need your guys' help ASAP.