LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

H/C TA gets tuned on the dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default H/C TA gets tuned on the dyno

I am stuck off shore but Tiago who is tuning the car got the car to the dyno and tuned it, I feel bad because it was in the high 90s and raining, so I imagine it wasn't pleasant of conditions but at least he's not off shore like me.

Set Up In Detail
Motor: Dart-LME Pro-1 200cc LTX Heads, Comp "CC306" cam, MTI Ported Intake manifold, Crane Gold NSA 1.6 Roller Rockers, LT4 Valve Covers, ATI Super Dampner, Mezeire Electric Water Pump

Air/Fuel/Spark : TPIS 58mm Throttle Body, WS6 Ram Air Box, SVO 30# Injectors , Racetronix Fuel Pump kit, GM LS2 Coil Packs, Katech Plug Wires, NGK Plugs

Computer: EFI Connection 24X LS1 PCM Conversion, Dyno Tuned by Force Fed Fabrications

Exhaust: Kooks Stainless Stepped Long tubes, Custom Stainless Y Pipe, Borla Cat back, DMH electric Cut out

Trans/Drive Shaft/ Rear End: Icon Auto Sports Built T-56, Pro 5.0 Shifter w/ Hurst ****, Mcleod Street Twin, Spohn Extreme Duty Drive Shaft, Strange 12 Bolt 3.42 Gears 33 Spline Axles Richmond Power Trax Locker

Factors/Opinions/96-6speed is a LT1 Hater – Every set up is different, I don’t want to dyno race or make excuses, but I think after doing this car I can offer my insight on the set up to help others so they can make choices for themselves. A lot of people spout opinion with no personal experience, this has been my experience.

12 Bolt The first time I dynoed with the auto at ARD, the owner said they usually see a loss of 10-12RWHP. He’s tuned a lot of F-cars and installed a lot of 12 Bolts over the years so I feel he know what he’s talking about. A lot of H/C numbers I see are 10 Bolt six speeds. I’ll take the dyno loss and know I have a good rear end in the car.

CC306 – This is where everyone will expect me to make excuses for the CC306 or try to make it seem like it’s better than a custom cam, I won’t because it’s not. With a custom cam it would have made more power. The numbers it made aren’t bad, I think they’re actually really stout given the set up and fall right in line with Chris B’s car. It shows the cars healthy and making what it should for the set up it has and the cam it has.

LME-Darts – I don’t think this set up really needed an aftermarket head to make these exact numbers. It could have made the same power on a good GM castings and a custom cam. Having said that it did benefit from these heads given the cam choice. Others guys I have known over the years have barley cracked 400RWHP with a CC306 and ported LT1 heads in six speed 10 Bolt cars. With a custom cam, it could have very well been different and these heads could really shine, my goal wasn’t to build an all out H/C LT1 dyno beast. My goal was to have some thing fun to drive till I pieced my stroker build together, that set up will go custom on the cam. The verdict is still out, given what I saw here, these heads with the right cam could make some awesome power. I am not willing to switch cams to find out though, but for some one else looking to build one it should give you some ideas given what this car did with an off the self cam and 12 Bolt.

EFI 24X The stock 93 chip set up wasn’t going to cut it, it can make power just like the 94+ LT1 PCM can make power but for me, this set up made more sense over going through the hassle converting to a LT1 MAF PCM from my LT1 SD ECM. Money wasn't an issue or determining factor, it's what I was going to be happy with. Mike was pretty awesome to deal with and his set up works.

Kooks Stepped Long Tubes No real before and after numbers to really compare to, I am sure the car picked up power over what was there before, just about any thing would. I mainly did these headers because the old stuff was junk and I didn't want to have to buy new headers when I did my 398.

Special Thanks Tiago for sticking with this project and helping me get it done. Jon94Z, without him and his help this car would have never been built. Joe94B4C motivation through hatin to finish the car.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Great job Neil (and Tiago!) Solid numbers all around. The Kooks and 24x setup definitely help in the power department, and you have a well though-out set with the right parts. Even the good 'ole 306!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great numbers. I know it's hard to believe people, it's a '93 with an "off the shelf cam". Properly setup of course. Good job.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good combo and good results. Time for the n2o!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice set up. Nice results!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's not possible to make over 370rwhp with the cc306.

On a side note nice #'s.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Nice. That power curve is badass. Once again proof the 306 is a shitty shitty cam...

Hope you can get that thing to the track at some point!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:25 PM

Thanks, I hope to get this thing to the track when it gets a little cooler out and get some numbers out of it. I got some other small projects planned in the mean time, redo the interior, new gears and nitrous
Old 07-16-2011, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Damn good numbers! well planned out and you still have nitrous planned? It's going to fly down the track.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:42 AM

We'll be back on the dyno in a few months when it's not so miserable out to try and tweak it a little. There's some power still left in it yet. I have been planning to spray this car for a while, it will probably just be a little 125 shot. Just enough to have fun with.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
We'll be back on the dyno in a few months when it's not so miserable out to try and tweak it a little. There's some power still left in it yet. I have been planning to spray this car for a while, it will probably just be a little 125 shot. Just enough to have fun with.
That's what they all say....
Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 AM
9 Second Club

Talking

CC306 – This is where everyone will expect me to make excuses for the CC306 or try to make it seem like it’s better than a custom cam, I won’t because it’s not. With a custom cam it would have made more power. The numbers it made aren’t bad, I think they’re actually really stout given the set up and fall right in line with Chris B’s car. It shows the cars healthy and making what it should for the set up it has and the cam it has.

LME-Darts – I don’t think this set up really needed an aftermarket head to make these exact numbers. It could have made the same power on a good GM castings and a custom cam. Having said that it did benefit from these heads given the cam choice. Others guys I have known over the years have barley cracked 400RWHP with a CC306 and ported LT1 heads in six speed 10 Bolt cars. With a custom cam, it could have very well been different and these heads could really shine, my goal wasn’t to build an all out H/C LT1 dyno beast. My goal was to have some thing fun to drive till I pieced my stroker build together, that set up will go custom on the cam. The verdict is still out, given what I saw here, these heads with the right cam could make some awesome power. I am not willing to switch cams to find out though, but for some one else looking to build one it should give you some ideas given what this car did with an off the self cam and 12 Bolt.

EFI 24X The stock 93 chip set up wasn’t going to cut it, it can make power just like the 94+ LT1 PCM can make power but for me, this set up made more sense over going through the hassle converting to a LT1 MAF PCM from my LT1 SD ECM. Money wasn't an issue or determining factor, it's what I was going to be happy with. Mike was pretty awesome to deal with and his set up works.

Kooks Stepped Long Tubes No real before and after numbers to really compare to, I am sure the car picked up power over what was there before, just about any thing would. I mainly did these headers because the old stuff was junk and I didn't want to have to buy new headers when I did my 398.

Special Thanks Tiago for sticking with this project and helping me get it done. Jon94Z, without him and his help this car would have never been built. Joe94B4C motivation through hatin to finish the car.

lol @ Joe.

I know people will be skeptical, but this was the first LT1 car I have tuned and I wasn't expecting it to take as much timing as it was (I stopped at 36 deg), and it was still gaining HP, at a rate of about 10 rwhp per 2 deg of timing.. I think this thing has a little more to give when bump it to 38-40 deg. We will find out in the fall. For now Neil needs to enjoy it, not work on it
Old 07-17-2011, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Nice numbers!!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this on a stock bottom end? Nice numbers BTW, looks like a combo that is working well together.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Thanks, I hope to get this thing to the track when it gets a little cooler out and get some numbers out of it. I got some other small projects planned in the mean time, redo the interior, new gears and nitrous
Not sure what track you go to, but if you can, get to HRP around October or November.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:03 PM

97pontta,

Correct it has the stock bottom end, about 73K miles on it.

I want to go to HRP, Royal Purple owns it now, I hope they are prepping better than they did while the last owners had it. I hate going to Lone Star out in Seally because Hennessy owns it, don't like giving money to that guy.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

97pontta,

Correct it has the stock bottom end, about 73K miles on it.

I want to go to HRP, Royal Purple owns it now, I hope they are prepping better than they did while the last owners had it. I hate going to Lone Star out in Seally because Hennessy owns it, don't like giving money to that guy.

nice combo and results man! how long til your back on land and enjoying that thing?
Old 07-17-2011, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Strong numbers. Nice setup.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good numbers even with that crappy CC306
Old 07-17-2011, 08:11 PM

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak

nice combo and results man! how long til your back on land and enjoying that thing?
Next week, not sure how long. Hope for more than a couple days.

Quick Reply: H/C TA gets tuned on the dyno