LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Nitrous Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous Questions

Lately I have been having the urge to get nitrous on my car. Doing some reading, I think I want to just run a small 75 shot. Like all of us I'm on a budget and I have a few questions.
1. What's a good cheap beginner kit? I've heard good things about ZEX
2. What other "accessories" would I need to run with it? Window switch, WOT switch, etc?
3. Does the Fuel pump need upgraded with such a small shot? I actually have a new stock replacement one in there now and also a new fuel pressure regulator (if that even matters)
4. Anything else I'm missing?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

1. Not 100% sure for the these engines. I'm sure someone else will answer it
2. Window and WOT switches, remote bottle opener, bottle heater, purge, fuel pressure safety switch, master switch, bottle psi gauge, bottle blanket, etc. Obviously not all of this is needed, but these are possible accessories that you could use to make your system more effective/safe.
3. Stock fuel pump is fine
4. Read http://www.go-fast.org/z28/new_to_nitrous.html, http://www.sccoa.com/sccoo/Faq/nitrousoxide.htm, and http://www.competitionplus.com/05_20...n20_myths.html

Those three links are very helpful in terms of info on nitrous and using it. The first one actually covers Lt1s and LS1s. Hopefully those help you out
Old 02-01-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. I would recommend Nitrous Outlet. Not the cheapest but when I was spraying, I really liked their kit.
2. A WOT switch is mandatory in my opinion. For a manual car, a window switch is recommended.
3. If your fuel system is in good running order, it should be fine with a 75 shot but these cars can take a 100 with no issue (I know folks have sprayed more). I would recommend a hot wire kit for the fuel system.
4. These are not mandatory but I usually like to know what is going on. I would pick up a wide band A/F and fuel pressure gauge. You should step down to a colder plug (like a TR6) and make sure you are not running platinum plugs. Lastly, find a way to retard timing when you are spraying.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm basically just wanting to know what I need to get me started cheaply. What's a cheap starter kit? What are the COMPLETELY neccessary things that I need to get started? I can always buy the extras later on.
Would a simple kit like this work:
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/6107/1...lb-bottle.html
Old 02-02-2014, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

defiantly dont wanna go cheap with nos. if you do your motor can blow and that wont be cheap too fix. that kit would work. I just finished their universal efi kit. real easy to wire up. I am also fairly new to nos on lt1s. do research on an ignition boxes like mallory 685 or msd 6AL box. the mallory has a built in window switch setting and pulls timing. going to colder plugs is a must. when its all said and done your looking at alittle over 1000 to spray safely.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ran Zex. worked great, easy install. i ran 100 shot and no ignition retard was required. i highly recommend the window switch, the kit comes with the WOT switch.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

i upgraded my fuel pump but its not required.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

So let me know if this sounds good.
Nitrous kit: NX Proton Plus #20421-10
Timing and window switch: Mallory 685
Spark plugs: TR6's

Does this all seem good? At least to get me started spraying? Or am I missing something?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

if ur getting the mallory box, get the msd wiring harness($35) for the 6al box. it will make it alot easier to wire up the box. dont need to cut and splice your factory harness. ill be installing my box soon so if you have any questions pm me and ill do my best to help. Wire up the nos system first and install ur plugs. make sure you have everything wired up correct before you put the box in. also if u dont plan on spraying, un plug the weather pack connector (ull see once u get the box) and plug in the bypass that is included with the box. if you leave it plugged in, it can lower ur opti life

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/n20-tech...questions.html a diagram that will help with the yellow/orange/violet wires on the box. when you get th box youll understand

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/n20-tech...ultispark.html post #5 has the msd harness part number and how to wire it to the mallory box. hope this helps
Old 02-04-2014, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Do I even need to pull timing for just a 75 shot? Car has bolton's, hotcam and madtuner tune.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Yes. Sure u probly get away with it. Why chance it tho. I would swap to a non projected tip plug instead of the tr6s. I think there the br6efs.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nitrous outlet plate kit
window switch
bottle warmer
purge kit
external fuel pressure guage or electronic gauge if you want inside
bottle blow down tube
safety bypass kit

This will give you a safe reliable nitrous system, most kits you see are not complete kits and will need a few more items for your application. Listed above has a reliable solenoid kit that's extremely important. It does not matter if you run 50 or 200 shot you should make the system safe incase something goes wrong, like failed solenoid's, low fuel pressure etc. A good ignition and fuel system is a must or your next thread will be building a new motor.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

No timing pull needed for a 75 or even a 100 shot. Some recommend it at 100 but my Impala never changed whether I retarded it 4* or not.
I ran an MSD Digital 6, an MSD digital window switch, WOT switch and a 150 shot with no issues. I pulled 6.5* timing and could run it all night long with no issues.

One of the most important parts is having a good bottle warmer with the automatic manifold to turn it on at 950 and off at 1100.
I love the idiots that heat bottles with propane torches. Then by the time they stage, their pressure is back down to 700.

A better fuel system is highly recommended. But I ran mine with a stock AC Delco pump and never lost any pressure.

There's an infamous Racetronix thread here-a-bouts and Ed Wright got up to 500hp on his stock pump never missing a beat.

Last edited by SAPPER; 02-04-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your not pulling timing your playing a game you will lose sooner or later, every 50 pull 2 degrees. Your not building a race car that you only drive at track. Do it right or pay l ater
Old 02-04-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
If your not pulling timing your playing a game you will lose sooner or later, every 50 pull 2 degrees. Your not building a race car that you only drive at track. Do it right or pay l ater
according to Zex you dont need to retard timing unless you go over 100. Ill take the manufacturers words over rule of thumb bs anyday.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well since zex is the cheapest pos system on the market I would not trust there word over a manufacturer like NOS ever. You should be 4 degrees retarded for a 100 shot will it work not doing that yes but how long and at what cost in the long run? So go ahead and do whatever you want it's not my motor at risk
Old 02-05-2014, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Technology for nitrous has come a long way since my first time playing with it 30 years ago. Pulling timing is always recommended but the right addition of fuel is the key.

You can run a 100 shot dry and be fine. Just make sure your injectors are good.
If running a dry shot, a FPSS is very highly recommended.
I also suggest the window switch. Do yourself a favor and kick in the extra few bucks for the digital box.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Technology for nitrous has come a long way since my first time playing with it 30 years ago. Pulling timing is always recommended but the right addition of fuel is the key.

You can run a 100 shot dry and be fine. Just make sure your injectors are good.
If running a dry shot, a FPSS is very highly recommended.
I also suggest the window switch. Do yourself a favor and kick in the extra few bucks for the digital box.
I'll be running a wet kit. I was planning on running the NX Proton Plus kit with a Mallory 685. The kit has a WOT switch and the mallory has a window switch and can retard timing. So I should be set after I get colder plugs. Is a bottle warmer really necessary?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallj
I'll be running a wet kit. I was planning on running the NX Proton Plus kit with a Mallory 685. The kit has a WOT switch and the mallory has a window switch and can retard timing. So I should be set after I get colder plugs. Is a bottle warmer really necessary?
If you want conistent runs and an all around better nitrous experience, yes.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bottle heater is a must imo , the new bottle bracket heaters are pretty bad ***.

Quick Reply: Nitrous Questions