LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

install catback or wait for headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 03:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default install catback or wait for headers?

my tsp rumbler should be here sometime this week, should I make an appointment to have the catback installed,or should I wait to get my longtubes and ory and have it done all at once?? right now I have a flowcrapper muffler and gutted cat, I cant stand it,it sounds like ****
Old 05-09-2006, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

how come your going to have it installed rather then doing it yourself? if it were me id do it myself as soon as it gets there because it will sound better immediately and you will be able to reap the performance and sound from it immediately, then when you have the money get the LT's and ORY.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say put on now. Its actually a pretty easy thing to do, you can do it yourself with basic hand tools. It took me about 30 minutes or so on ramps in the driveway. An exhaust shop should be able to do it in a matter of minutes while you wait, so go ahead and put it on.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

if you want to put it on now then go ahead, it wont make it harder to deal with the headers later if thats what your worried about. but i agree, to save money and have the pride of sayin that you did it yourself, just do it your self lol. it is real easy so dont fret. good luck and let us know how you like it
Old 05-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Not a good idea to put it on if your going to go with headers... you will have to measure and cut the intermediate pipe to install it and if you get headers later with a different y-pipe, then everything will be sitting differently and you might have cut too much off if you install it now...
Old 05-09-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OneFast97Z
Not a good idea to put it on if your going to go with headers... you will have to measure and cut the intermediate pipe to install it and if you get headers later with a different y-pipe, then everything will be sitting differently and you might have cut too much off if you install it now...
It shouldn't need to be cut to fit now with stock y pipe, should be bolt on. I agree that once the new headers and Y pipe are installed you may have to trim it down to fit right, but that shouldn't have anything to do with the present install.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

I had to cut mine when i installed just the catback, i got lucky that when i installed my longtubes and y-pipe, i hadnt cut too much...
Old 05-09-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OneFast97Z
I had to cut mine when i installed just the catback, i got lucky that when i installed my longtubes and y-pipe, i hadnt cut too much...
Hmm, weird. I believe the 93-95 Y pipe would be slightly different then yours and that may be the difference. I know my Borla on my 94 and my Mufflex on the 00 didnt require any cutting.

Also, I am questioning something myself. Isn't the TSP rumbler just like the original loudmouth? If I am correct in this assumption I don't think you will like the sound of that any more then the gutted cat and flowcrapper.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Just wait for the LT's and ORY. Noise is nothing without some power to back it up, and the LT's and ORY will free up a small amount of power. But remember take it where you can get it.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackWidow
Noise is nothing without some power to back it up.
What do you think makes the noise?
Old 05-09-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont have tools,ramps,or much of a driveway at my house or else id install it myself the flowmaster is driving me nuts so i think im just going to have the tsp installed now and get the headers done later on,it could be awhile before I have the money for the headers and everything else anyway
Old 05-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by burnzilla
What do you think makes the noise?
Any turd can make noise, I have seen plenty of of cars put down great numbers on the dyno and at the track and are quiet. They do not have to sound like a wanna be fuel car to drag most cars. Noise is not a power adder and power does not have to be a noise thing.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just wait for the LT's and ORY. Noise is nothing without some power to back it up, and the LT's and ORY will free up a small amount of power. But remember take it where you can get it.
LTs/ORY will free up more then a small amount of power. The car is gonna be loud with or without the Headers, plain and simple. If he didn't want it loud then he would have purchased a different setup i would guess.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
LTs/ORY will free up more then a small amount of power. The car is gonna be loud with or without the Headers, plain and simple. If he didn't want it loud then he would have purchased a different setup i would guess.
I agree and being I never had the original motor long enough to install any aftermarket parts I am kinda in the dark. But do the headers/ORY wake up the LT1 that much ? With the loud issue I was meaning loud doesn't make your car fast it makes it just loud. I hope I am being alot more clear. In my motor headers yes make a difference just not a make or break item. Yes I know the LT1 is restrictive.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree and being I never had the original motor long enough to install any aftermarket parts I am kinda in the dark. But do the headers/ORY wake up the LT1 that much ? With the loud issue I was meaning loud doesn't make your car fast it makes it just loud. I hope I am being alot more clear. In my motor headers yes make a difference just not a make or break item. Yes I know the LT1 is restrictive.
Actually I believe most would be suprised how much HP/TQ a good set of headers make on a LT1/LS1. The factory manifolds are very restrictive and the gains you get from the setups are not what I would call marginal. Honestly of all the cars I have had, I noticed the biggest difference on my LT1 camaro....and that was going from edelbrock shorties/w larger mandrel bent Y pipe, high flow cat into a borla to Pacesetter Coated LT's/ORY/Borla. I know this is LT1 tech, but there was also a huge difference on my friends LS1 car when we switched from manifolds to headers. IMO headers are one of the few bolt ons you can do and feel an actual SOTP difference.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

i didnt buy the flowmaster,it was on the car when I bought it
Old 05-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by beeker82
i didnt buy the flowmaster,it was on the car when I bought it
Same here... i like the tone of the flowmaster, but its just too quiet for me and restrictive... if you lived near, i would help you out with the install so u save money... also... i figured you would probably not have the headers and y-pipe for a while, so i think it would actually be best if you put it on now... i know how hard it is to have a new part chillin in the garage and wanting to put it on so badly

Quick Reply: install catback or wait for headers?