LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Poly Trans Mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly Trans Mount

Ok, I installed this over the weekend...easy job and really takes care of the shifter bouncing around. Now I'm getting a clunk sound that sounds like it's coming from a little behind it.....driveshaft area? It happens when I shift or take off, when it's transfering a load. I double checked the mount and surrounding bolts to make sure they were all tight, which they were. I'm not sure what it could be as I can't check it while moving lol, any ideas?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

could be a u joint, check your driveshaft for excessive play
Old 09-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Banned

Check the torque arm. Its the huge metal piece that spans from the side of the transmission all the way to the rear. If the mount is broken or missing, it could cause a clunk.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

I'll check out both when I get home from work and update. Thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

The car's jacked up right now. Just made sure all the bolts around the trans mount were tight again. Checked the torque arm for any kind of play and it appears to be good. The rear part of the driveshaft isn't budging, but the front u-joint area has just enough play in it to barely move. I don't think it would cause a loud clunk sound though. I'm confused now. I would've expected to see something loose..
Old 09-26-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone else had this problem? It's in the air now and I'm clueless...it's weird. Only happens when a load is placed on the drivetrain, ie. takeoff and shifting
Old 09-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Teching In

this happedned to me but it was due to the nut unscrewed its self off of the poly trans mount. i put it back on with some loctite and havent heard anything since. the only other things that i could possibly guess would be the trans mount (the "c" bent support that supports the the end of the tranny where the drive shaft goes into or the thin metal sheild that goes under the driveshaft). thats all i could think of since the u joint and torque arm are secure. good luck with your troubles
Old 09-26-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransAmMan93
this happedned to me but it was due to the nut unscrewed its self off of the poly trans mount. i put it back on with some loctite and havent heard anything since. the only other things that i could possibly guess would be the trans mount (the "c" bent support that supports the the end of the tranny where the drive shaft goes into or the thin metal sheild that goes under the driveshaft). thats all i could think of since the u joint and torque arm are secure. good luck with your troubles
It sounds like that would be the problem, it's what is confusing me. I re-checked all the bolts, even jacked the tranny up a hair and tightened things down to make sure. Same thing is happening when I drive it hard at all..
Old 09-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Does this sound only happen once when the back end is squatting. I noticed recently that I have a similar noise what I found was that the rear end was actually digging hard enough to set it on the rubber snubbers on the rear end.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ToxicTA
Does this sound only happen once when the back end is squatting. I noticed recently that I have a similar noise what I found was that the rear end was actually digging hard enough to set it on the rubber snubbers on the rear end.
Ya, on a moderate take off and moderate shift you'll hear/feel it. It's coming from in front of the rear though. I just took it all apart and reinstalled it again taking my time, bout to go test drive....wish me luck lol
Old 09-26-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Same thing, damnit. What kind of an effect would bad motor mounts cause? I noticed when I get on it the shifter moves from the left to right quite a bit, making me think the engine has too much play and it's transfering back, causing the noise? ...
Old 09-26-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

I have a similar clunk coming from my car, but I think it's the y-pipe hitting the tunnel brace [flimsy stamped steel peice behind the trans mount]. Bad motor mounts could cause excessive movement of the y-pipe hitting the floorboards and/or tunnel brace. I just bought an aftermarket tunnel brace, hopefully this will get rid of my clunk.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 294 Likes on 222 Posts

I have a Poly Mount in mine, and it never clunked. The Eshaust does, yours might be doing that..
Old 09-26-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

I only have a catback and the clearance is good from the exhaust. I can see the shifter moving left to right when I get on it. It only started doing this when I got the trans mount, the clunk sound I mean. I was thinking trying a new stock one or buying poly motor mounts as well?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

I would probably say matching poly mounts is good advice. Transmission is gonna have less flex than the motor now. Whereas before the flex was about equal due to the stock mount material.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Well I just bought poly motor mounts and a torque arm mount while I was doing that, so I'll update after install. Thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZFan88
Well I just bought poly motor mounts and a torque arm mount while I was doing that, so I'll update after install. Thanks
Definitely let us know how it goes.

I may do the same thing, my after installing my poly trans mount my car seems to get some minor torque transfer issues at lower RPM's, it starts to buck back and forth slightly like the engine is moving too much...
Old 09-27-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransAminal
Definitely let us know how it goes.

I may do the same thing, my after installing my poly trans mount my car seems to get some minor torque transfer issues at lower RPM's, it starts to buck back and forth slightly like the engine is moving too much...
This is my 3rd Camaro so I'm used to noises and things moving around a bit
But the shifter will move around 2-3 inches left to right under a heavy load, which is too much play. The poly trans mount really stopped the 'constant' bouncing around of the shifter though and feels great until I get on it with the other problem

Quick Reply: Poly Trans Mount