LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

egr delete question!!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default egr delete question!!

If I get some longtube headers without the egr/air hookup how do I delete the egr? Can I just crimp the lines instead of putting freeze plugs in or whatever? What else could I do and how?
Old 03-29-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you buy the Race Headers and ORY you will just need to remove the egr and block it off on the back of the intake manifold. Grab yourself an EGR block off plate and its as easy as that. Oh then you can of remove the air pump too.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Launching!

how do u put the block off plate on? got any pics on what to do and what they look like? never dont it before
Old 03-30-2008, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well buy an ebay block off plate and it sits on the back of the intake manifold. There is a check valve (I think) that needs to come off that has 2 vacuum lines in it and the other is a hose running from the exhaust manifold into the back of the intake manifold. They are both very near each other, but kinda hard to get your hand to.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry I don't have any pics of it, I will try and get some later today for you so you know where it is located. But all that holds the egr on is 2 bolts and if you take a small 10-13mm wrench you should be able to reach back there to them. It is a bitch, I removed mine when I did the headers. But I would recomend taking it off. And make sure you buy the race headers if you get pacesetters. Coated or not the air tubes on them will break off! Happened to my friend with his 96 that were coated and happened to my friends 02 that were uncoated.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

homemade block of plates installed

Old 03-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Launching!

hmmm ok i think i know, i may just got with some headers with the egr /air hookups so i dont have to f*ck with that
Old 03-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Launching!

WHATS the funtion of the egr? there is no problem if i eliminate it?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Launching!

ok will i have to take the intake off in order to put the plates on ? or can i just crimp the lines close and cut them back?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cutting/Crimping the lines will just look nasty pull the ****'s out. The function of the EGR(Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is to recirculate gas back into the intake mani. Only problem if you eliminate it is an SES or CEL. Use the search button for pics/more info! Helps alot!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

I recently installed a set of the RACE style PS LT's and I deleted the AIR/EGR as well. It ran fine and never even threw a SES/CEL on. But I kept the purge syl. plugged in next to the Intake on the drivers side, where the Vacuum hose goes into for the EGR. I also kept the AIR connector hooked up as well!
My .02

James
Old 03-31-2008, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by camarostripes96
hmmm ok i think i know, i may just got with some headers with the egr /air hookups so i dont have to f*ck with that
You'll have more work for you keeping that stuff in there.. trust me..

Delete it all out, put in the Racing Headers, you will love how clean it looks.

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
It ran fine and never even threw a SES/CEL on..
James
Some cars don't throw lights..mine didn't at all either.

I'll explain it for you guys that don't know..

To delete the EGR you need to remove everything on the back side of the Intake..there is a Stainless Steel Hose bolted to the Passenger's side, and the EGR Valve on the Drivers side. With the EGR Valve there is some Rubber Lines and a Solenoid. Take all that **** off, get the Block Off Plates and bolt them up in the back, unplug and clip the Solenoid Connector, and put a Vacumn Cap on the Intake where the Rubber Line came off.

Now for the AIR..
Un-plug, and remove the Air Pump from the lower Drivers Side of the Engine, clip the Connector if you want too to clean it up as well. You can take off the second Bracket for it too. All the Rubber Lines for it will come off, plug the one on the Intake Ducting where it came off. You will now see a Metal Line going around the Block. Cut the Metal Lines going to the top of the Manifolds..don't get *****-hurt about cutting it cause it's trash, and you will be cutting it in a few more spots. The Dremel is your friend here..trust me. Follow it around the Engine and cut it in a few more places to where you can remove it. Don't confuse it with the AC Lines..you will have a bad day..(I didn't give a **** cause that came out right after I got doen with the Emissions stuff..). It will all come out..there is a couple of tight spots..

After all that just bolt in your New Headers and fire it up..you will love how clean the Engine Bay looks too..and you can change the plugs a little easier.
Then get your self a Tune and it will be really nice..
Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Launching!

ok well everyone was telling me that i needed to take the intake off and weld freeze plugs in it , so i didnt wanna take the intake off so therefore i was going to get headers with the egr/air cause i didnt want to have to take the intake off and get someone to plug it up with freeze plugs and **** ya know...but if it is as easy as u say it is then i might do it that way
Old 03-31-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is horrible info. It's the easiest part of the whole header install. Just takes maneuvering the hands behind that intake to get to the two bolts.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

yeah it's not too hard, and taking off the intake is not that hard either. just need a few gaskets and that's all.

you certainly do not have to weld anything.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Launching!

ok so all i have to do is but the 2 block off plates? (do they come with gaskets as well)

also what is this "clip the Solenoid Connector, and put a Vacumn Cap on the Intake where the Rubber Line came off." does anyone have a pictures i have no clue what he is talking about
Old 03-31-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Once you take off the solenoid you'll understand what else needs to come off with it.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 PM
Launching!

ok well i had a light on whenever i first got my car and it was the egr valve and i replaced and didnt take but like 10 mins so i kinda know what u are talking about , just curious about the block off plates and if they need gaskets ? and what hoses to cut and cap? DOES ANYONE HAVE PICS OF THE WORK BEING DONE OR AFTER THE WORK
Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

afaik they don't come with gaskets.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by camarostripes96
DOES ANYONE HAVE PICS OF THE WORK BEING DONE OR AFTER THE WORK
I've got pics at the house bro..I'm at work now otherwise I would have posted them already..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: egr delete question!!