Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW Shifter install, some pics and thoughts so far...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 03:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smile MGW Shifter install, some pics and thoughts so far...

Well finished putting everything back together and went for a short drive to drop off a movie (Date night - sucked). I'm having mixed feelings right now. Maybe I'm just tired or really used to the stock shifter but there's a few things that bug me.

The first being that when I go into first gear, it looks like its in 3rd or even 5th. If I put it into 1st its not tilted even a little to the left, it's straight up. No doubt the side to side movement is causing this which is very very minimal compared to stock so it's probably just something i have to get used to.

In all I just went for a 10 min drive only so I'll beat on it tomorrow. I got 1 WOT pull in and no rattle or noise in 2nd to redline. Gear shifts take a little effort but click into gear really nice.

Things I did extra were I covered the big rubber boot on the inside with sound dampening material. Probably one reason the shifts are a little stiffer but this killed a lot of noise. So much in fact I almost wish i didnt do it. I also used the black stuff (which MGW provided) everywhere on some of the bolt heads (the nuts and bolts that hold the new stick in place) to try and stop any rattle.

While I was in there I had to try and find a way to fix the stupid ashtray lid which always stays open. I had to McGiver a spring into place and stretch it and it works for now. ill get a spring tomorrow.

Here's a few pics

Stock vs MGW

Almost finished adding sound dampening lol..

Stock shifter sat much higher than this really

Bottom of the console... lol ... I took a spring.. stretched it.. and stuck it in place and voila.. lid that stays shut !!

this pic is IN first gear... Wish it was more over to the left, even if it was the whole shifter. I need a new ****...

Last edited by Nastyc4; 08-28-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Pistol grip FTMFW!
Old 08-28-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice pics. You will get used to the shifter after driving for a bit, its so much nicer than stock. You should look at the mgw gripper shift ****. I have it on mine and I love it. Great feel and it looks awesome
Old 08-28-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

I considered taking tons of pics for a write up but wow the job was REALLY self explanatory. like 7 screws and the console tilted and shifted out and it was just bolt off and bolt back on. I was too lazy to go get the camera at the start anyways lol.

My only concern now is all the sound deadening i put on the inside of the rubber boot. When I'm in neutral it takes a little muscle to go to the left and it sort of stays there. if I push right it springs back to neutral so I'm wondering if theres some sound deadener stuffed under the shifter somehow making it hard to come back from the left. Side to side movement is REALLY SHORT and up and down is a little longer but this thing clicks into gear super sweet. I played through the gears a bit today and wow no chance of missing or not going into gears at all.

I need to start a little bonfire, hang the stock shifter over it and burn it. WOuld make for a nice you tube video : 'Sacrifice to the shifter gods'. The stock shifter REALLy does suck compared to this.

My experience in the last year:

01 z28 factory hurst : Nice shifter but really long lever
b) UMI short stick : Awesome. Drops the shifter and cuts the throws but VERY noisy and rattled at high rpm in ANY gear. Made it notchy as well and for $13 it's a badass shifter.

02 SS Factory non-hurst : SUper tall lever makes easy shifts. super long throws and very very rubbery making for missed gears when the going gets going. I actually missed the 3-4 shift for the first time in my life

b) and of course last is the MGW i just put in.

For the money, if I had a factory hurst, I would have a tough time deciding between $13 and $200 for a short shifter. If anything the factory Hurst with the Short stick makes it easier to know what gear you are in. It feels like there is more side to side movement (from neutral) which I liked. Although I have to bet having less side to side movement and stiffer centering springs is probably what makes the MGW so gear at hitting the right gear every time.

TOnight I'm going to go banzai because my car got dirty and I'll report some hard driving thoughts.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'll get used to the shifter. I didn't do anything extra with the boot, and the noise drove me crazy. However, there were some gaps in the boot which I covered with duct tape and it seemed to make a huge difference.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, ditch the Sound Deadening you placed on the bottom of the boot and get a piece of 3/8" closed-cell foam at least the same size as the outer dimensions of the body mount shifter boot. Next cut a oval hole slightly smaller then the oval shape of the shifter body in the foam, then slide it over the top of the shifter and push it down to the base of the shifter and tuck the outer edges of the foam down bellow the metal of the shifter hole in the body.Now reinstall the factory boot over the shifter.
I did this with my car and it made a noticeable difference in the amount of noise coming into the car around the shifter.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 08-28-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, ditch the Sound Deadening you placed on the bottom of the boot and get a piece of 3/8" closed-cell foam at least the same size as the outer dimensions of the body mount shifter boot. Next cut a oval hole slightly smaller then the oval shape of the shifter body, then slide it over the top of the shifter and push it down to the base of the shifter and tuck the outer edges of the foam down bellow the metal of the shifter hole in the body.Now reinstall the factory boot over the shifter.
I did this with my car and it made a noticeable difference in the amount of noise coming into the car around the shifter.
Have any pics? This sounds interesting. Not to sound stupid but you just shove the foam between the shifter base and the boot?
Old 08-28-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

No photo's, camera battery was dead at the time.
Yeah you'll cut a hole in the foam slightly smaller than the shape of the shifter body, push it over the top of the shifter and down to the base, then tuck the edges of the foam down into the trans tunnel, and reinstall the factory boot over it.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

You'll get used to the shifter and forget how short or stiff the throws are and the side to side movement in neutral. It kind of like a breakin for a few miles.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get rid of that vibration damper under the boot...that is the wrong application for that stuff. It does nothing to stop sound waves - it just damps vibrations on metal panels (which means it won't do **** on a rubber boot).
Old 08-29-2010, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Nice, I'm used to my Pro 5.0 by now but heard nothing but great things about the MGW. Also for the ash tray lid, I just superglued mine shut since I don't smoke in my car.

Did you sand your console and dash trim? I'd really like to see more of that. It looks pretty good.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Give it about 500 miles. It'll break in nicely and you will get used to it and then you will wonder how the hell you ever stuck with the factory hurst shifter.

It does feel weird in 1st because it feels like old 3rd in the hurst but after a while itll be great when you get used to it.

Id get rid of the sound deadening as well. Its hampering the movement of the shifter for sure.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Regular

Mine rattles in 3rd and 5th gear at WOT for some reason. Everything is tight and secure. I did have to leave off the leather boot for now cause the plastic bracket is in 8 pieces but I am sure I could still hear this with it on it is loud and obnoxious. Gonna call them about it monday, anyone else have this prob?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Ok well i drove it 2-300 miles yesterday I went out for the track day with the viper club. I can't say I don't like it the shifting feel is great clicking into gears and it won't miss gears when I hit them hard.

The problem I'm having is that when its in 1st, it looks like 3rd, or even 5th gear. It feels way way over to the right and it's bugging me. I feel like I have to reach over to bring the shifter over. Maybe it's because it's shorter that it's further away but it still bugs me a little. I had no issue like this with the UMI short lever on the factory Hurst.

The other problem is going into 6th. almost EVERY time I was crusing up to speed yesterday i try to go straight down to 6th I hit 4th gear. I have to push it a bit to the right and down to hit 6th which is annoying because reach far down and pushing to the outside is harder than pulling to the inside gears.

I will say the sound dampening material is probably not helping things. Perhaps it's causing the shifter to bind a little making it harder to use. I will pop off my boot tonight and try to see what I can wiggle around or away from the base of the MGW. SOund wise I don't care what anyone says.. the silence is kind of eerie and the stuff works. This is proper noise damping material used on the floor and around the trans/engine area on vehicles that we build where I work. It almost sounds like the engine and the exhaust from the rear are from 2 different cars now. I can't hear the trans, any whine or even any clicking sound from the shifter or engine noise.

Still better than the stock shifter? Honestly I feel sorry for the original owner to have driven it with a school bus rubber lever.

This shifter going through the gears however is the BEST shifter in feel I have ever used.It is VERY solid going into the right gear. I have used B&M, Hurst and a BBzFdoc modified shifter on my vette and this one still feels better.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

You'll get used to 6th gear....it's almost easier to bring it into neutral and then shove it over to 6th gear, takes less effort and it's not like you have to shift super quickly from 5th to 6th.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

I'm definitely getting used to it.. the ONLY bad thing I keep doing is after driving hard in 4th or even 5th liek last night when a guy in a silver AMG (didnt see what #.. sl, cl blah blah) and I topped 4th went to 5th and when I passed him and let off I went to go into 6th to settle down VROOOOM the ******* thing keeps hitting 4th gear. luckily I didnt just pop the clutch out as soon as I hear the rpms I pull it out and then force it into 6th.

I'm going to ask MGW if they have slightly taller rods. the super short height will only require more effort and make it harder going into gear. I may also loosen the bracket and rotate the lever to 8 o'clock instead of 9 o'clock where its set to bring it closer to me
Old 09-04-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

Thought I would mention it that it was PISSING rain here today and when I got up to crusing speed on the freeway I was paranoid as hell of hitting 4th instead of 6th... talk about wipeout...

On the bright side its getting easier to get into gears
Old 09-04-2010, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

I read good reviews on the MGW shifter here that I pulled my pro 5.0 shifter and ordered a MGW shifter for my car. Wow I love the MGW shifter alot better than the pro 5.0 shifter MGW shifter feels real good and shifts into every gear just fine after you break it in it will get better and feel alot better when shifting. The best thing that I like is the 2 to 3rd spring loaded shift. I love that. Sold my pro 5.0 shifter.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

You HAVE to push the shifter to the passenger seat to get into 6th. If you just pull back it will go back into 4th due to the super strong springs of it.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Have any pics? This sounds interesting. Not to sound stupid but you just shove the foam between the shifter base and the boot?
The piece of 3/8" closed-cell foam is 8.5" x 8.5" sq..
I'll add a few more photos tomorrow morning.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 09-05-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter install, some pics and thoughts so far...