Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny install PITA any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny install PITA any suggestions?

Finally decided to install my monster level 2 clutch package this weekend and everything was going well until we went to stab the tranny back in.

The splines align and the tranny will slide in up to about a 1/2 inch from the bell housing and then we cant get the alignment pins to match up and slide that extra little bit!! WE have twisted and pulled and lifted and everything i can imagine to get it in but no luck. Even pulled it completely out a couple times and started over!

Any tips or suggestions for getting this bitch lined up would be appreciated, Im ready to test this new clutch and tick master!!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the input splines are not aligning with the splines on the disk, put the DS in the back of the tranny and have someone rock the shaft back and forth while trying to push the tranny in. This will help align the splines. Also if you have a bunch of grease packed in the pilot, this will resist the input shaft from sliding in.

Last resort is use the bolts to carefully draw it in. Just make sure you go nice and easy and if you feel it starting to get solid, back off and regroup.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Banned

Try to get at least all the bolts started and with a hand powered tool, work in a cross pattern to suck it up a few turns at a time. You will feel a pop and I bet it will slide right into place. Then you can tighten all the bolts up and roll on. This is a last resort process and I always discourage customers from attempting it unless they are in your situation and seem to have enough sense about them to not get stupid in the process.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thesource
Try to get at least all the bolts started and with a hand powered tool, work in a cross pattern to suck it up a few turns at a time. You will feel a pop and I bet it will slide right into place. Then you can tighten all the bolts up and roll on. This is a last resort process and I always discourage customers from attempting it unless they are in your situation and seem to have enough sense about them to not get stupid in the process.
If i can ever get the holes to line up it is my intention to do exactly that, however, they just dont seem to want to line up...I can get a bolt loosely started in the hole directly above the driver side alignment pin, but then no amount of twisting, lifting or cussing gets any of the other bolts to line up and start without cross threading

Im gonna give it another try this weekend if not one night this week, maybe starting fresh will help.

Its going in one way or another!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

I had this same problem... Never use the bolts to suck the tranny in! You risk tweaking the center hub of the clutch disc which can lead to warping/chatter, and pinching the needles of you're pilot bearing,(If you are using needles)... If you are using one of the plastic alignment tools that just might be you're problem... Those plastic pieces fit way too loose compared to the actual input shaft. A company named Quarter Masters sells a machined steel alignment tool that is exactly like a t56 input shaft...Hands down , one of the best tools I have ever bought!!! If that clutch disc isn't aligned just right with the center of that pilot bushing/crank, it won't go in without forcing it... Also, are you running an aftermarket bell housing??
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

^^ I agree with that. I had a similar issue loosen the pressure plate and realigned the disk retorqued everything. Next time the trans slid right in. I fought that trans for a good 30 minutes and it sucked. Bet its just not perfectly lined up.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
^^ I agree with that. I had a similar issue loosen the pressure plate and realigned the disk retorqued everything. Next time the trans slid right in. I fought that trans for a good 30 minutes and it sucked. Bet its just not perfectly lined up.
Originally Posted by Dave-1970
I had this same problem... Never use the bolts to suck the tranny in! You risk tweaking the center hub of the clutch disc which can lead to warping/chatter, and pinching the needles of you're pilot bearing,(If you are using needles)... If you are using one of the plastic alignment tools that just might be you're problem... Those plastic pieces fit way too loose compared to the actual input shaft. A company named Quarter Masters sells a machined steel alignment tool that is exactly like a t56 input shaft...Hands down , one of the best tools I have ever bought!!! If that clutch disc isn't aligned just right with the center of that pilot bushing/crank, it won't go in without forcing it... Also, are you running an aftermarket bell housing??
I was worried about the alignment, but the input shaft slides in fine up until that last half inch..could this still be a clutch alignment issue, even though it slides in easy up to the alignment pins on the bellhousing??

It is the stock bellhousing and I am useing the plastic alignment tool. I guess tearing it back down and re-torquing it all wouldnt hurt but at this point Im pretty sure the clutch is lined up....
Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

I have been a mechanic for a long time. As Dave-1970 said the plastic tool is junk. What I like to do is compare the space around the pressure plate with the disk. You can usually feel the differance. Make sure you compare 3 common places in td
Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

I have been a mechanic for a long time. As Dave-1970 said the plastic tool is junk. What I like to do is compare the space around the pressure plate with the disk. You can usually feel the differance. Make sure you compare 3 common places in the casting of the pressure plate.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sicksspeed
I have been a mechanic for a long time. As Dave-1970 said the plastic tool is junk. What I like to do is compare the space around the pressure plate with the disk. You can usually feel the differance. Make sure you compare 3 common places in td

The plastic tool is junk and I do the same thing and I only use it to simply hang the disk. Feel three places and ensure equal distance between the disk edge and PP or flywheel, all by feel.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wrd1972

The plastic tool is junk and I do the same thing and I only use it to simply hang the disk. Feel three places and ensure equal distance between the disk edge and PP or flywheel, all by feel.
Originally Posted by sicksspeed
I have been a mechanic for a long time. As Dave-1970 said the plastic tool is junk. What I like to do is compare the space around the pressure plate with the disk. You can usually feel the differance. Make sure you compare 3 common places in the casting of the pressure plate.
Ok but the splines are lineing up just fine i have pulled the tranny in and out several times just the last .5 inch is catching...is this still a clutch alignment issue??
Old 01-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

did u replace the piliot bearing?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 513camarors91
did u replace the piliot bearing?
Yes i did...
Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

The last 1/4'' to 1/2'' was where mine was binding too. That is also the amount that the input shaft actually slides into the pilot bearing (roughly). You cant get "onto" the dowels if you cant get "into" the pilot bearing... Quarter Master part # 660090 may solve you're problem, or at least rule out a clutch disc alignment issue...
Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Also I cleaned up the front of the input shaft a tad with some emery cloth just to polish it up and put some grease on it. May help it slid in.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dave-1970
The last 1/4'' to 1/2'' was where mine was binding too. That is also the amount that the input shaft actually slides into the pilot bearing (roughly). You cant get "onto" the dowels if you cant get "into" the pilot bearing... Quarter Master part # 660090 may solve you're problem, or at least rule out a clutch disc alignment issue...
so I checked the alignment last night by comparing the distance between the disc and the pressure plate bolts in 4 locations and it definately looks to be off....hopefully tearing it down and trying again will yield better results..

I like the idea of the steel alignment tool but im not quite ready to drop 60 bucks on it yet
Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Teching In

well i realigned the clutch this weekend and the clutch and tranny are now installed and car is running.

Im still grinding gears going into second and fourth though. this doesnt happen all the time, only when I shift real fast, this is my third six speed f-body, i know im not shifting wrong! Could this be a synchro issue? or shift forks?

Ive tried doing some adjustment with the tick master but nothing seems to help, is it time for a rebuild?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Teching In

pretty sure I got all the air out of the system by bleeding through speed bleeder (submerged in fluid) and mityVac.

The grinding going into gear was a problem before the clutch and hydraulics swap as well

Quick Reply: Tranny install PITA any suggestions?