Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Those of you who have REBUILT YOUR OWN T56 come in!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those of you who have REBUILT YOUR OWN T56 come in!

I'm thinking about trying to tackle the rebuild of my t56 by myself. I'm doing an lt1 to ls1 conversion and it will be a good while (5-6 months) before everything is ready to go. I found a good core and I will be buying all the parts from t56 rebuilds. How difficult is this to do, any writeups available? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, done several head/cam swaps for both myself and buddies, headers, clutches etc. Pulled/installed engines etc. So if you have done this give me a summary of your experiences, thanks in advance!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was hesitant to dig into the internals of my trans, but eventually got sick of paying "experts" to try and fix things. Anyway, if you're capable of keeping track of the parts, taking your time, and have the tools it's not really that bad at all. With the right tools and parts I did it in about 4-6 hours. Big thing is you'll need a good set of snap ring pliers, a shop press (or access to one), gear pullers with pretty long arms, the right torx socket and a torch to remove the shift rail guide bolts, and obviously all the tools to remove and reinstall the trans. I picked up all my tools from harbor freight including the press pretty cheap.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike44138
I was hesitant to dig into the internals of my trans, but eventually got sick of paying "experts" to try and fix things. Anyway, if you're capable of keeping track of the parts, taking your time, and have the tools it's not really that bad at all. With the right tools and parts I did it in about 4-6 hours. Big thing is you'll need a good set of snap ring pliers, a shop press (or access to one), gear pullers with pretty long arms, the right torx socket and a torch to remove the shift rail guide bolts, and obviously all the tools to remove and reinstall the trans. I picked up all my tools from harbor freight including the press pretty cheap.
Cool, exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks! Anybody else?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:03 AM
11 Second Club

I can only advise you to:

make sure you have all tools available before you do the job and have extra time avilable in case something goes wrong.

tools: coorect sockets and air gun if avilable . snap rings, bearing spiltters, hammers, hydraulic press, pullers, etc...

make sure you keep track of where everything goes and mark all synchros. keep everything well organized and try to kjeep in one piece. double check everything before you take another step. This caused mre to take apart my trans a few times, even when I was almost done.

Talk to T-56 rebuilds, they are very helpful.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
I can only advise you to:

make sure you have all tools available before you do the job and have extra time avilable in case something goes wrong.

tools: coorect sockets and air gun if avilable . snap rings, bearing spiltters, hammers, hydraulic press, pullers, etc...

make sure you keep track of where everything goes and mark all synchros. keep everything well organized and try to kjeep in one piece. double check everything before you take another step. This caused mre to take apart my trans a few times, even when I was almost done.

Talk to T-56 rebuilds, they are very helpful.
I definitely have time, don't expect my car to be ready for 5-6 months, I'm sure I will bug the hell out of T56 rebuilds, they are up the street from me...lol!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I did mine a couple weeks ago. I just used a couple different pullers, nice snap ring pliers, and basic hand tools. No press, no torch needed for the guide bolts. I replaced all the blocker rings, 1-6 fork pads, 3/4 fork, and 3/4 keys. I used the oven to pre heat some of the press fit parts to make life easier.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Took me less than a day to do mine the first time. used the tutorial on ls2.com and a t56 service manual. it was extremely easy and straight forward. If you can do a cam swap, you can rebuild a t56.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Proper tools like the snap ring pliers, press and a good factory walk through and parts washer are really needed, also a work area with a jig so you can tilt the tranny to different positions.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

little searching

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...41#post6908041

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...72#post6919972
Old 04-27-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the input guys!!!
Old 04-29-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Picked up the tranny today, gonna get started on it in a few weeks, I'll start a new thread then w/ pics to show progress
Old 04-29-2007, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

I redid min a few years ago and did a friend's t56 recently. I have good pics and some links to help you out.

T56 Rebuild
Old 04-29-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by warp10
I redid min a few years ago and did a friend's t56 recently. I have good pics and some links to help you out.

T56 Rebuild
nice pics
Old 04-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by warp10

T56 Rebuild
Thanks very much, really gonna help out a lot!

Quick Reply: Those of you who have REBUILT YOUR OWN T56 come in!