New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 year old + LS1 = ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow bro, that looks like it could have been fatal, I hope you learned something from that wreck. I had a 2000 SS that I totaled when I was 19 driving irresponsibly, I still cringe at the thought of that wreck to this day, it totally changed me as a driver.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here man, I crashed at 17 now I'm 20. Been through 9 cars now 3 of which being camaro's only had 1 accident. It made me rethink everything and it could have simply ended everything. I just don't hot dog it anymore. I of course use the power of my car, I'm just not an idiot about it.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is absolutely brutal looking. I take it no one was is the passenger seat. That could happen to anybody whose never really owned a rwd car with some hp. They get one and never really make it through the learning stage. Their car ends up totaled and or worse. I'm just saying it's not just younger drivers that it happens to. Then again an f- body sometimes turns middle aged men into teenagers! Lol I'm glad you're allright. That is some mean looking pics .

Last edited by celtsean; 02-26-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man appreciate it. Just wanna bring notice to everyone if it's your first rwd car with power be smart. **** happens fast over 100mph lol I slide into on coming traffic and got t boned by another car
Old 04-21-2015, 09:17 AM
Launching!

I was 16 and i had and still have a big turbo srt 4 it put down 385 and its fun it survived my dumb days. Lol now i have 418 ls3 ws6 and its even better. Good thing i did not have it back then.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Bad idea to own one of these as a first car lol
Old 04-21-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, always a good mix. A little Jim Beam makes it even
better. Took my buddy Jum (18yo) less than a week to
wreck his brand new '82 TA. But, hey, as we told him...

"at least you were driving up to the limit of your abilities".
Old 04-21-2015, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright ill jump in here. I got my 02 SS 6spd when i was 17. Currently 20. My advice.. be scared of it. The first 5-6 months i drove like a little grandma. Never beat on it, never hit 100. Then one day cruising to the beach with another buddy of mine.. nice straight away we opened it up.. the first time over 100..

Just grow into the car. If your gonna mod it, do it slowly. Don't drop heads/cam right away. Get used to the power, be able to handle it. Everyone has those oh **** moments. I barely rear ended someone on my way home from work in the rain in traffic.. only minor scratches on my car.

Take is slow, respect the car and everything will be fine. Oh and don't try to show it off!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 73CamaroLT
Alright ill jump in here. I got my 02 SS 6spd when i was 17. Currently 20. My advice.. be scared of it. The first 5-6 months i drove like a little grandma. Never beat on it, never hit 100. Then one day cruising to the beach with another buddy of mine.. nice straight away we opened it up.. the first time over 100..

Just grow into the car. If your gonna mod it, do it slowly. Don't drop heads/cam right away. Get used to the power, be able to handle it. Everyone has those oh **** moments. I barely rear ended someone on my way home from work in the rain in traffic.. only minor scratches on my car.

Take is slow, respect the car and everything will be fine. Oh and don't try to show it off!
I agree. Getting a feel for the car is everything.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 73CamaroLT

Absolutely, I agree with this 100%.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What an educational thread. OP, I'm glad to hear that you are OK and commend you for coming back to share your story. This is something many of us fought with personally and may have to address one day down the road as parents.

I wanted one of these cars at 16 and was sour about the fact it didn't pan out. Candidly, it's a really good thing I didn't. Looking back at all of my buddies that had sports cars at that age, every single one of them ended up in a bad accident. Knowing my driving style at that age, I would've been another on that list.

I got a C4 Corvette at 19 and my SS at 26. It still took me some time to feel out the cars and I had my fair share of "close call" learning experiences with both. Anyone remember the first time they slammed the throttle coming out of a sharp turn? 140 on the highway?

I completely understand the need to feel the rush these very capable cars can provide. It's not always easy to satisfy that urge, however I found a solution a few years ago. Went with a buddy to a track day at Road Atlanta. I knew nothing about driving on a road course, however I had a blast running in the Novice group -- still hit 130 mph on the back straight and got all I could handle and more in the turns. I immediately recognized this was the solution to help cure these urges. I've since done a ton of track days with different clubs at different tracks and I can assure you it's the most fun you'll ever have burning a tank of gas in these cars. 160 mph is attainable at Atlanta Motor Speedway and you can take the banked turn 3 at 125+ mph.....I can't get that same satisfaction on a public road. Most importantly, I no longer feel inclined to bite when someone throws you a rev and then zips in and out of traffic.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Read threw the whole thread. Pretty disappointing that OP wrecked his car. On top of that, it seems like you gain more responsibly when you actually have to pay for your own car, instead of getting it handed to you. Now i see why i have such high insurance rates at a young age :/
Old 11-03-2015, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Haven't checked this post in a while, read through all these stories and still til this day I lay down in my bed and just think about what would've happen if I haven't woken up, parents, friends, siblings, etc. This easily could've been fatal. I know it's a learning experience and I'm glad everyone else can learn from the mistakes. Just had a friend's parents by him a new 5.0. Wrecked it within the month. I hope all parents on this forum can agree with me when I say no younger kid should have a fast car as a first car. These ls1's most certainly aren't crazy fast but they get out of control quick, gaining skill takes a while, if you have the urge take it to the track...
Old 11-03-2015, 01:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

An educational progression of events in this thread, good for other young members to read - as well as several interesting side stories of additional experiences. Glad that the OP survived this experience and learned from it.

On an unrelated note....

Originally Posted by Kyles98ls1
This is my first car ever its a 1998 z28 camaro im 16 years old. The car is in mint condition with 100,000 Miles.
....something else that comes with age is the ability to recognize the impossibility of "mint" condition and "100k miles" both being true for any given car.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

kyle im super glad your ok (even though your wreck was a long time ago). my close friend was suppose to go up north with 2 buddies during the 1991 world series the twins won. after one of those games the 2 got hammered and drove his one month old mustang over one hundo, missed a turn and slid under a truck , yes they were decapitated! my bud luckily couldnt take a 4 day weekend or he would have been in that car. i've had my share of close calls just try and learn from your mistakes. cheers! RIP chris b & chuck h.

Last edited by DANOZ28; 11-03-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
An educational progression of events in this thread, good for other young members to read - as well as several interesting side stories of additional experiences. Glad that the OP survived this experience and learned from it.

On an unrelated note....

....something else that comes with age is the ability to recognize the impossibility of "mint" condition and "100k miles" both being true for any given car.
Yeah, I know lol. I just think I was so excited. Car was clean but far from mint...
Old 11-03-2015, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
kyle im super glad your ok (even though your wreck was a long time ago). my close friend was suppose to go up north with 2 buddies during the 1991 world series the twins won. after one of those games the 2 got hammered and drove his one month old mustang over one hundo, missed a turn and slid under a truck , yes they were decapitated! my bud luckily couldnt take a 4 day weekend or he would have been in that car. i've had my share of close calls just try and learn from your mistakes. cheers! RIP chris b & chuck h.
That's tragic. Very sad to hear stories like that. Alcohol and cars never mix and never will. RIP
Old 11-13-2015, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am agreeing with the rest of you. My first car was a 70 Camaro with 400 WHP. I was 16 at the time. WTF were my parents thinking? I had so many close calls in the car it was not even funny. Still don't know how I haven't crashed a car to this day. Looking back on everything, I got very lucky many times and easily could have had the same outcome as the OP. Glad this thread was created to show what can happen. Take your cars to the track and learn how to drive in a controlled area, don't use the streets. Someone just died about a block away from here. 2 Mustangs racing down the street, one t-boned a car crossing the street and killed the driver. The guy in the Mustang was 17 and in now in jail for life for man slaughter....
Old 11-16-2015, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Glad to hear op Kyle is doing good and back in the car he loves. This thread should be a must read for all newbies, I think it should be Sticky! As confident as I think I am driving my Trans Am, I try and remind myself anything can happen on the street. I did donuts for the first time in my car last month in the biggest parking lot I can find with few light poles. On my last donut I was counter steering, into the throttle pretty good, caught traction and managed to jump towards the light pole almost hitting it. And street racing on the street escalates super quickly, you hit 100+ so easy and if your trying to reel in a car or the other car is not letting off, both cars will be travelling at crazy *** speeds. You may be able to control the car at speed but the other racer may not. I love my car, I have wanted it since I was 13 yrs old, it's a beast and I'm slowly learning my way through the cars full potential. The track is your friend.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Glad you're ok.

There's a reason parents and other adults who have been there before try to advocate against giving a young teen something with a lot of muscle.

It's not because we try to be dicks who like to steal the fun, it's because we have been there, done that and horsepower is downright intoxicating.

The fastest thing I have ever personally driven was my 08 CBR 1000RR. The power to weight ratio would blow your **** off. I'll use the word intoxicating again because it was. The body responds well power/speed/whatever you want to call it with all that succulent adrenaline, so it's natural you want to keep pushing and pushing it.

The moment you lose your healthy respect for your machine, is the time you need to step out, reset and keep your mind focused before ever moving it another inch.

Again glad to hear you're ok and doing well. Be safe

Quick Reply: 16 year old + LS1 = ????