Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry Tuning Tip (Fuel 2-in-one Tune)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dry Tuning Tip (Fuel 2-in-one Tune)

Below is the Fuel adder vs IAT that I have talked about on few occasions. What this table does is add an additional fuel multiplier on top of your WOT Power Enrichment Multiplier. So basically what you do is log your IAT n/a, then log IAT on the spray. You will see temps that are not reached n/a (read: colder) unless you live in Alaska. Now that you see your temp(s) on the spray you can add an additional fuel multiplier where needed and it will only enrich your WOT PE at the lower temps (adds to allready existing wot pe Multipier). Therefore, we now have a two tunes in one for the fuel, along with the allready known two tunes in one for timing (write up on timing in my web). This is new territory, and I don't know of any others using this for dry hits, but looks promising from my limited expermenting. FI guys use this for hotter temps. Hopefully some of you tunning gurus will take the reins on this. I will do a full write up on this at a latter date. Also am thinking about a spread sheet so you can just input your data and it will give the proper multiplier for a a/f sought. Hope this helps some of you guys wanting to run bigger dry hits and not mess up your n/a performance. Seems to work for me as I have one of the top n/a stock ETs going, and it uses the same tune as my n2o, both in sig. Now I probably don't have all of the answers, but will help if I can. The table comes zeroed out in HP Tuners, and some of the older cars you will not be able to enable, why, I don't know.

Robert
Old 11-07-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

TTT for those that haven't seen this yet.
Robert
Old 11-07-2005, 11:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read posts by you & your web page concerning tuning. I am building my car little by little. I am installing a 9 inch rear right now (almost done) hopefully I'll be buying HP tuners & bigger injectors for my dry shot later this winter. I already installed the Racetronix FP kit. Hopefully you could help me with some tuning. I'll want to tune for the injectors first & my new gear ratio (4:11) I am from NW Montana.

Thanks for the info above.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My only concern with this is that the transient thermal
response out of the IAT is going to lag the actual huff
and you will have that moment to combine excess timing
and excess air. I favor jacking the sensor with a relay &
resistor off the solenoid line, for immediacy (leading the
gas flow, even).
Old 11-08-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
gas flow, even).
Yes, there's the old nasty lean spike. However, I haven't enough data yet to really know if this is going to be a problem. Seems no worse, so far, than the time it takes for MAF/computer to react, and that also leaves a small lean spike often. I do remember our talk about tricking the sensor for an imdiate response. Maybe a variable rheostat to dial things in. Still learning/figuring this out. Hopefully by sharing others will get into testing/tweaking this. Now with that said, you can do timing the same way using a pot or a set value resistor, but using the timing tables per write up generally works well. Are you going to do dry or wet on your set-up?
Robert
Old 11-08-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by code4
I have read posts by you & your web page concerning tuning. I am building my car little by little. I am installing a 9 inch rear right now (almost done) hopefully I'll be buying HP tuners & bigger injectors for my dry shot later this winter. I already installed the Racetronix FP kit. Hopefully you could help me with some tuning. I'll want to tune for the injectors first & my new gear ratio (4:11) I am from NW Montana.

Thanks for the info above.
No problem, I'll help if I can. Upsizing your injectors is actually quite easy with HP Tuner. When your ready just ask here or in the tuning section.
Robert
Old 11-08-2005, 09:56 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
No problem, I'll help if I can. Upsizing your injectors is actually quite easy with HP Tuner. When your ready just ask here or in the tuning section.
Robert
Will do, I am thinking of going with the SVO 42#.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
gas flow, even).

This is exactly what I have talked to Robert about. I'm concerned with the time it takes the IAT to react and pull timing or add fuel.

I'd like to see a log of a dry spray run and have a look at when the maf rate picks up, does it pull spark out immidiately and does it add fuel immidiately? The safe way around this would be to just wire a resistor to activate when the n2o system is armed.

Last edited by Y2K2LS1; 11-09-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

in the near furute I will be adding a 2nd dry stage and I hope by then this concern with spike u guys are talking about is taken care of either that it will not hurt anything or totally eliminated...I hope to do something like this when I'm ready
Old 11-09-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Y2K2LS1
This is exactly what I have talked to Robert about. I'm concerned with the time it takes the IAT to react and pull timing or add fuel.

I'd like to see a log of a dry spray run and have a look at when the maf rate picks up, does it pull spark out immidiately and does it add fuel immidiately? The safe way around this would be to just wire a resistor to activate when the n2o system is armed.
I'll try and get a couple logged spray runs up, for analizing. But, they are on my laptop, so it may take a bit to get them on here. I am not sure if we can totally eliminate a micro sec lean spike, and they won't hurt anything anyway. But if we can minimize, so much the better.
Robert
Old 11-09-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Screamin_Z
in the near furute I will be adding a 2nd dry stage and I hope by then this concern with spike u guys are talking about is taken care of either that it will not hurt anything or totally eliminated...I hope to do something like this when I'm ready
With approx 150 passes, and a lean spike present, I have no issues. Even a wet kit will show a lean spike. But like was said if we can minimize or eliminate all the better.
Robert
Old 04-13-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I found this thread when looking for info for someone on tuning. Update is the fact that all lean spikes on dry hits can be eliminated with proper nozzle location/style. My current set-up has no, not a bit of lean spike.
Robert
Old 04-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Teching In

I am only going with a 125 dry shot. But I have a 2 stage controller I will set 500 rpm before the nos hits to pick the relay and trick the iat. By the time the nos hits the retard should have kicked in.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fuel adder vs IAT table isn't available on all pcms. Mine doesn't have it and (according to foff) didn't start being and option until sometime in 2001.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Robert I can't tell you how happy I am an I dea I had many years ago is working out so well
Old 04-18-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

n e 1 care to`show how to`wire up a resistor?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
n e 1 care to`show how to`wire up a resistor?
A couple shematics in the wiring sticky.

Ellis, great minds think a like, hehehehehe.
Robert